Vote for who makes the best pack?

Who makes the best pack?

• Total voters
Up here, Keltys and Barneys have probably packed out ten times more critters than all the rest of your choices put together....

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive owned a handful of the packs listed above. I would say the results are fairly accurate as far as rank.

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is a poll that fanboys are going to vote on to justify their purchase. There is no "best" pack like there is no "best" pair of boots. Everyone's wants and needs are different and their choice will be judged on that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is a poll that fanboys are going to vote on to justify their purchase. There is no "best" pack like there is no "best" pair of boots. Everyone's wants and needs are different and their choice will be judged on that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You are 100% correct. It is the same as what bow is the best and Ford vs. Chevy Vs. Ram.

That being said I am shocked at least at this point to see Seek Outside is higher than Mystery Ranch. When pack questions come up it seems to me MR comes up far more than Seek.

bubbay

FNG
i vote kifaru nomad2 on tac frame not just any kifaru bag frame combo! any platform that can beat that i will buy right now!!!!!

tttoadman

WKR
I have Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Seek Outside. They all pack weight about the same to me. I don't pack that heavy.

I would give the Kifaru the edge for packing heavy, and having all the attachments a person could want.

I like the SG for the simple light bag and the light frame. I like how it cinches down tight to the frame without floppy material hanging out. The SO has the big side pockets that flop around. The Kifaru bags just don't tighten down as clean to me. I have replaced the middle buckles on the kifaru with ladder locks to get it to tighten down a little nicer.

I have the SG gun sling. I only use it when the gun is stowed. I hooked a buckle to the top, and drop it in the bag when not in use. I just throw it in the SG or Kifaru when I leave the house, and I am good to go.

I like the Webbing belts that Kifaru and SO have to load goodies onto. Everyone has seen my Frankenpack that is a SG krux frame fitted with a Kifaru belt and accessories.

I love the shoulder harness on the SO. It is by far the most comfortable to me.

I like the waterproof rolltop of the SO. It is perfect for hunting the wet side of oregon.

The SG frakenpack is my normal go to for short hunts.
The Kifaru is for heavier later season pack ins.
The SO is my wet weather setup and my meat hauler after the first load is dropped.

Since the SO and the SG are both equipped with Kifaru pcs, I figured i would give Kifaru my vote.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I used an old Osprey for 13 years before it finally wore out on me. I wish I would have kept track of how many miles and how much weight that pack saw it its life. Curious to see if my Kifaru’s last as long. They are certainly much more tailored for what I do Hunting than the osprey was, which I why I made the switch. I voted for Kifaru because I love it so far. Time will tell if it has the durability of my old osprey.

Jauwater

WKR
With most of these pack brands the only real difference in the packs technology is the frame, and the belts that are attaching to it. Between each brand your basically getting two very similar shoulder straps attaching to each side of the pack, with the head of the straps running down the back to almost your lumbar area. You get a large lumbar pad. Your belts attach just at the lumbar pad like all the other brands. Load lifters work the same. Basically all your attachment points attach at the same spot. So honestly, how much different can all these packs be? I've used 5 of them over the years with weight ranging between 20-72lbs, and only one of the packs really stood out from the others. The pack bags that you can purchase for the frames are another story. The pack brands mentioned, if the packs are adjusted correctly, under 80lbs I bet most people would feel they carry about the same. When you get up there in weight you really start noticing the different things that your either gonna like or hate about a pack. Like thick lumbar pads, or thick shoulder straps, back padding, those types of things. This has been my experience anyway.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I voted EXO because it's the only high end pack I've owned. They've only been around since 2014 and are growing exponentially in popularity. Kifaru has a 17 year headstart on EXO (not counting all the packs developed when Patrick ran Mountainsmith). That does translate to many more years of experience, but EXO has shown that their packs just plain work for backcountry hunting and especially for comfortably hauling meat. I have run mine from 38 - 68 pounds so far, each time in great comfort. EXO is targeted for run and gun spike camp backcountry hunter in my opinion, minimal weight, simple layout, great meat hauling capability.

There are several great packs out there. I like that EXO (and Kifaru) are made 100% in the USA and have lifetime warranties.

Last edited:

rodney482

WKR
My original Kifaru Timberline has served me very well. Done everything Ive asked out of it. Its bulletproof!50831202-5B46-4FD3-8A85-9645455AF33A.jpeg

Best? Hands down Kifaru

But....lots of different packs work for lots of different guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I’ve had, or have, Kifaru, Seek, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, and Kelty. For a single back country hunting pack the Kifaru is my choice. My Kifaru frame has had a Reckoning bag, Nomad II and Stryker. I’m really liking the Stryker for my style of hunting and using a pack.

87TT

WKR
I'm not going to vote either. I have a Kuiu That is a dust magnet on the shelf and an EXO that is and will be my last pack. Not sure who's "best" but I can't ask for anything more.

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I voted EXO but I've only used Alps Commander external frame, Badlands Summit, Eberlestock Bluewidow, and now my EXO 3500. I love my EXO but I haven't tried Stone Glacier or Kifaru so take my vote with a grain a salt.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I'm voting Kifaru, but I've only tried (in this order) Eberlestock, Stone Glacier, and Kifaru so take my vote with a grain of salt! I don't see myself trying any other brands based on my love of supporting American made gear.

Add Badlands, MR also to my experience.
Badlands OX was heavy duty frame And could carry a load but bag didn’t hold up. Used and sold them all, few with visible wear.

My fave for me; Love the versatility of my Kifaru pack system. Used on 6 western state hunts too.
Hunter Duplex frame
: Reckoning pack, backcountry excursions
: 22Mag 2nd Gen, daypack w/hunting gear, replaced my 14’r for daypack
: various pockets & other organization attachments
: sometimes just the Frame & Quarter Panel on trips in/out packing subsequent meat loads
: non-frame Tailgunner for quick jaunts from truck

And almost no wear & tear on my Kifaru gear. I work my pack gear hard, 8 full hunting weeks per year since 2012, but take care of it too. Gosh, wish I had this quality gear when I was a young man.

Last edited: