Vote for who makes the best pack?

Who makes the best pack?

• Total voters
Add Badlands, MR also for my exp, sold them all. A few with visible wear.

this for me, Love the versatility of my Kifaru pack system. Used on 6 western state hunts too.
Hunter Duplex frame
: Reckoning pack, backcountry excursions
: 22Mag 2nd Gen, daypack w/hunting gear, replaced my 14’r for daypack
: various pockets & other organization attachments
: sometimes just the Frame & Quarter Panel on trips in/out packing subsequent meat loads
: non-frame Tailgunner for quick jaunts from truck

And almost no wear & tear on my Kifaru gear. I work my pack gear hard, 8 full hunting weeks per year since 2012, but take care of it too. Gosh, wish I had this quality gear when I was a young man.

i started out with the BL's packs. i found out the hard way that this pack is not made for the serious elk hunter. i had a shoulder strap break in 2012 while packing a quarter out. my first bull to boot! how do you "embrace the suckage" when that happens?

I voted Kifaru. Not just for the pack quality, but maybe even more for the customer service. I was communicating with Aron Snyder on the mountain with my inreach. Im not sure you will find that kind of service with any other company.

I voted Kifaru. Not just for the pack quality, but maybe even more for the customer service. I was communicating with Aron Snyder on the mountain with my inreach. Im not sure you will find that kind of service with any other company.
That's pretty impressive no doubt!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s not overthink this. I don’t expect everyone to have used every pack brand listed. I’m just asking what do you like the best from what you have been able to use.
I understood what you were asking. "Favorite" might be better word than best.

"Best" is the most hated word on Rokslide hahahahahah

Good poll

Before I hit results, I pretty much knew top 3, and sure enough it was.

ZDR

WKR
I went with Kifaru as their packs simply work for me and I love the modularity. That said, I have used MR and Dana Design before that & I wouldnt hesitate to do so again. They make good packs, I just like Kifaru better.

OP
BigCountry344
Initial Ascent packs all the way!! Newer company but they are doing it right with the carbon fiber composite frame. Handles loads like a dream!! Do yourself a favor and look at their packs. You will not be disappointed!View attachment 169095

I have always wanted to try one but can’t afford to spend that kind of money for a test run sort of thing.

C.payne

WKR
Packs like boots are pretty subjective to the user. It’s hard to say what is the “best” for everyone. Packs I have owned and abused are Badlands, Kuiu and Kifaru (in that order). My vote hands down is for Kifaru. The fit, finish and durability are in another league compared to the other packs I have used but those are the only packs I have experience with.

C.payne

WKR
Anyone used the Kifaru Stryker yet?

Yes I have one.
I have not put it through the paces in the field but I have used it for training this spring and it has been awesome. I strap weight to the cargo panel and load the bag with some essentials then hit some backpack cardio. Honestly it is so versatile the more I mess with it the more I love it.

SpineENGR

FNG
Yes I have one.
I have not put it through the paces in the field but I have used it for training this spring and it has been awesome. I strap weight to the cargo panel and load the bag with some essentials then hit some backpack cardio. Honestly it is so versatile the more I mess with it the more I love it.

Happy to hear the good feedback. Which frame did you go with?

I have used SO, Kuiu (every version from the beginning), Stone Glacier, Kifaru (tactical and newest ultralite), MR, EXO, and many other backpacking brands. It’s an expensive habit I do each winter and spring to test drive the packs. I have done it the last two years and will probably stop this next year. With that being said the only pack I hold onto is a SO Divide 4500. It can carry a week of gear for me and have packed out bull elk quarters in it as well. I will never carry more than 80lbs and even that is only on a pack out. I used to do more in the younger days but not wearing out my body is more important to me than carrying crazy loads 10+ miles and up 1000s of vertical feet. I am not the biggest guy and pretty normal for the American male ~ 160lbs and 5’9”. Most packs fit me pretty well within my parameters. I didn’t test with 100lbs and was normally 40-60lbs. I view my packs as what’s best for me 90% of the time and that’s hiking and hunting in the mountains of Colorado. I am not in the field 50+ days a year as I am a dad and small business owner. Wish I had more time to get out but more truly a weekend warrior. Just not limited to hunting season as I enjoy backpacking just as much. I don’t like or use bladders and really don’t use Nalgenes either. I like smart water bottles as my bottle of choice. I personally think it’s dumb to buy a water bottle pocket that only fits a Nalgene and that bags should have functional pockets for water bottles built in This is a big determining factor for me personally with my water. I have played with making the Frankenstein set ups with exo and Kuiu on Kifaru frames. I don’t carry a spotter or tripod for the most part.

My take on each:

Kuiu- The newest suspension is very comfortable. It was as comfortable as any frame I have tried. I have had the 4000, 3200, 3600, 1850, 2200, and 5200 bags. I like the Kuiu bags more than any other bag out there with the pockets built in and side pockets for a water bottle where I can reach it without taking off my pack. The simple organization is great and on sale it’s a great deal IMO. I much prefer the L/XL belt vs the S/M with a 32” waist.

Stone Glacier- had the Sky 5900 and it carried well. For me, it felt like a normal pack and nothing special. Used the least of all my packs. Didn’t like the shallower pockets on the side. Color is cool though and chicks probably dig it.

Seek Outside- bought one I found on the classifieds (Divide 4500) and had buyers remorse based on the eye test alone. Then I used it and fell in love. It’s crazy comfortable for me. I like the frame extension option, side pockets are big and deep enough for water while being accessible with the pack on. The xpac material is awesome and doesn’t require a pack cover. Had the breakaway frame as well but sold it as I didn’t really use it as I just stuffed whatever in the bag. I like how light it is as well and it has held up for me with no issues. The little buckles have never broke with cranking down loads or attaching things.

Kifaru- the belt is probably the most comfortable but not enough to convince me to get over their bag layouts for my uses. I don’t need to explain it carries weight well as everyone knows that. If they had a bag that had side pockets like Kuiu or other bags that would carry water bottles I would make it my go to. I just don’t like the layout or having to buy 7 other pockets to attack for organization. I know it sounds dumb but I am basing it on my uses for 90% of the time. I just can’t get over having to use a bladder or buy a Nalgene pocket.

EXO- I have only used the K2 and the 3500 and 2000. Really liked the pack and the 2000 was about perfect minus the side pockets. Too deep for me.

MR- Sawtooth 45 and Selway. I really liked the belt and pack. Just picked up a Terraframe 65 with the new frame. Excited to try it out. For me was pretty similar to Kuiu.

1- SO
2- Kuiu/MR
3- Exo
4- Kifaru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only two I’ve used is Badlands and Mystery Ranch. MR gets the nod from me out of those too. The badlands was a good pack too but I like the MR better.

LJ Buck

WKR
This is totally a personal preference question. I have a SO, SG and Kifaru and to me the SG is my favorite bec of the xcurve frame, it just fits me like a glove. Before the xcurve frame Kifaru was my choice.
I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt and haul heavy weight in any of them all amazing packs.

I've only used issued army rucks, a field and stream and now kifaru so I dont think I have enough experience to vote. I like my kifaru but am very interested in stone glacier and seek.

OP
BigCountry344
I have used SO, Kuiu (every version from the beginning), Stone Glacier, Kifaru (tactical and newest ultralite), MR, EXO, and many other backpacking brands. It’s an expensive habit I do each winter and spring to test drive the packs. I have done it the last two years and will probably stop this next year. With that being said the only pack I hold onto is a SO Divide 4500. It can carry a week of gear for me and have packed out bull elk quarters in it as well. I will never carry more than 80lbs and even that is only on a pack out. I used to do more in the younger days but not wearing out my body is more important to me than carrying crazy loads 10+ miles and up 1000s of vertical feet. I am not the biggest guy and pretty normal for the American male ~ 160lbs and 5’9”. Most packs fit me pretty well within my parameters. I didn’t test with 100lbs and was normally 40-60lbs. I view my packs as what’s best for me 90% of the time and that’s hiking and hunting in the mountains of Colorado. I am not in the field 50+ days a year as I am a dad and small business owner. Wish I had more time to get out but more truly a weekend warrior. Just not limited to hunting season as I enjoy backpacking just as much. I don’t like or use bladders and really don’t use Nalgenes either. I like smart water bottles as my bottle of choice. I personally think it’s dumb to buy a water bottle pocket that only fits a Nalgene and that bags should have functional pockets for water bottles built in This is a big determining factor for me personally with my water. I have played with making the Frankenstein set ups with exo and Kuiu on Kifaru frames. I don’t carry a spotter or tripod for the most part.

My take on each:

Kuiu- The newest suspension is very comfortable. It was as comfortable as any frame I have tried. I have had the 4000, 3200, 3600, 1850, 2200, and 5200 bags. I like the Kuiu bags more than any other bag out there with the pockets built in and side pockets for a water bottle where I can reach it without taking off my pack. The simple organization is great and on sale it’s a great deal IMO. I much prefer the L/XL belt vs the S/M with a 32” waist.

Stone Glacier- had the Sky 5900 and it carried well. For me, it felt like a normal pack and nothing special. Used the least of all my packs. Didn’t like the shallower pockets on the side. Color is cool though and chicks probably dig it.

Seek Outside- bought one I found on the classifieds (Divide 4500) and had buyers remorse based on the eye test alone. Then I used it and fell in love. It’s crazy comfortable for me. I like the frame extension option, side pockets are big and deep enough for water while being accessible with the pack on. The xpac material is awesome and doesn’t require a pack cover. Had the breakaway frame as well but sold it as I didn’t really use it as I just stuffed whatever in the bag. I like how light it is as well and it has held up for me with no issues. The little buckles have never broke with cranking down loads or attaching things.

Kifaru- the belt is probably the most comfortable but not enough to convince me to get over their bag layouts for my uses. I don’t need to explain it carries weight well as everyone knows that. If they had a bag that had side pockets like Kuiu or other bags that would carry water bottles I would make it my go to. I just don’t like the layout or having to buy 7 other pockets to attack for organization. I know it sounds dumb but I am basing it on my uses for 90% of the time. I just can’t get over having to use a bladder or buy a Nalgene pocket.

EXO- I have only used the K2 and the 3500 and 2000. Really liked the pack and the 2000 was about perfect minus the side pockets. Too deep for me.

MR- Sawtooth 45 and Selway. I really liked the belt and pack. Just picked up a Terraframe 65 with the new frame. Excited to try it out. For me was pretty similar to Kuiu.

1- SO
2- Kuiu/MR
3- Exo
4- Kifaru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great break down! I’d like to hear how the MR new frame compares to older frame and if the price jump is worth it, I see a lot of guys asking that questions.