VP Candidate Paul Ryan Interview with SCI

Shrek

WKR
Mr Obama promised to take no actions against hunting or gun rights and has kept his word as far as I can see. He has said he would like to see a renewal of the assault weopons ban but has taken no action. Mr Ryans idea is to sell off all the leased BLM land instead of making the grazing leases provide for hunting and and other public uses. They should be able to graze cattle and sheep but not block public access to the land. He talks a good game but his plan would leave us shut out of public lands. His thinking leads to tags going to the highest bidder and shutti.g out people who don't have money.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If so true then why did it take Obama to get in office for the law to be changed on carrying a pistol in the national parks? I'm not an Obama advocate but it is scary when you look ay how some republicans want to sell off our public lands or open them up to logging with roads everywhere. I really think we'll lose out either way, hope I'm wrong but it doesn't look good all around. I said I would never vote for Obama, now I really have no clue what would be a good vote.

I think that happened in spite of the current administration rather than due to him being in office... Look, logging is a very healthy and sustainable practice that actually benefits wildlife, reduces the danger of catastrophic wildfires, and generates revenue from our public lands. It's not very fun seeing one of your hunting areas get logged, but within a few years there will be more suitable habitat for the animals to return to - ask any western wildlife biologist and they'll tell you the same thing. Most of this activity is carried out on public ground leased by the government or on lands that are already private holdings, not on public lands sold although I'm certain there are exceptions.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mr Obama promised to take no actions against hunting or gun rights and has kept his word as far as I can see. He has said he would like to see a renewal of the assault weopons ban but has taken no action. Mr Ryans idea is to sell off all the leased BLM land instead of making the grazing leases provide for hunting and and other public uses. They should be able to graze cattle and sheep but not block public access to the land. He talks a good game but his plan would leave us shut out of public lands. His thinking leads to tags going to the highest bidder and shutti.g out people who don't have money.

That is an idea Ryan brought up to help pay off the debt crisis we're in - I would rather have an avid sportsmen deciding which lands have the most value to sportsmen than a self proclaimed environmentalist that is more focused on creating wilderness areas that increase our tax burden and decrease the recreational value of public lands to soothe his environmentalist backers. It's a little unnerving that Ryan brought this public land sale idea to the table, but deperate times require deperate measures - the country is headed off the debt cliff and they're bringing solutions to the table. I think the right kind of feedback from the conservative base will help reel in any reckless sales that would have substantial impact on sportsmen. They're primarily referring to areas with untapped natural resources in Alaska, opening up drilling fields so we aren't forced to buy as much crude from our enemies in the middle east. Sportsmen groups need to let them know how we feel about our public lands.

I would be a lot more concerned about Obamas radical agenda after he doesn't have to answer to voters again in his second term. He's done a lousy job of keeping his promises so the fact that he promised not to attack gun rights... come on. He may not lead the attack, but he would grin from ear to ear while signing the bill.

I think we're safer as sportsmen with the Romney/Ryan ticket, but if you look at all the other issues and the fact that the current administration would rather tell everyone what they're going to do and get road-blocked rather than work out a bipartisan plan. I would bet another 4 years of Obama will lead to very painful times for this country.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
BTW, I respect the fact that you guys are all well informed and willing to debate a little here. I respect that everyone has a right to their opinions and to cast their vote for whoever they feel is best suited to lead the greatest country in the world! That's what makes this nation great... God bless America!

Jon Boy

WKR
but deperate times require deperate measures - the country is headed off the debt cliff and they're bringing solutions to the table. I think the right kind of feedback from the conservative base will help reel in any reckless sales that would have substantial impact on sportsmen.

Id have to agree. I love hunting on public land just as much as the next guy, but I love living in this country more. Were in a time of severe crisis and if paying off some of our debt means selling some public land, then im willing to give up a little.

dotman

WKR
Id have to agree. I love hunting on public land just as much as the next guy, but I love living in this country more. Were in a time of severe crisis and if paying off some of our debt means selling some public land, then im willing to give up a little.

Buy you do realize that even if they sold off all our public land it wouldn't hardly touch the interest payments on our debt? But once sold we would never get them back. Leade out our public lands to do a resource grab and we will only have wilderness lands in national parks, no more backcountry hunts because of all the logging and minning toads that will be built, reduction in habitat for game which will limit hunting availability or quotas. It is good to have wilderness if you really are concerned about conservation, ask any biologist and there is nothing wrong with letting mother nature clean up these lands.

To sellout our public lands would only benefit our country for a very short time, more oil is not the answer, better technology is. This is my concern, we have to look further then 4 - 8 years down the road, and small quick cash is never the answer, it just gives you a break from the true problems. So to sell off even a fraction of public land is just a waste in the end, the benefit just isn't there.

Also drive out to the Summitville mine in CO, tell me if you don't think that is a wasteland.

Now on to other issues I really thinker ate in for hard times either way, better prepare. I just don't see how we all will not feel the pain outside of our hobbies no matter who is elected if we are to turn this country around. We have to bring jobs back to America, problem with us Americans is we want cheap goods but all of us want high salaries, that just doesn't go hand in hand, why do you think the poorest nations only import goods?

dotman

WKR
I also like to see that people do care and inform themselves even if we do not agree, what bugs the heck out of me is the people that pull the sheet over their eyes and are afraid to be informed or discuss our countries problems. Great thing is we do not all have to agree but if you do not care enough to believe in anything then don't ever complain when you lose certain rights.

Shrek

WKR
Buy you do realize that even if they sold off all our public land it wouldn't hardly touch the interest payments on our debt? But once sold we would never get them back. Leade out our public lands to do a resource grab and we will only have wilderness lands in national parks, no more backcountry hunts because of all the logging and minning toads that will be built, reduction in habitat for game which will limit hunting availability or quotas. It is good to have wilderness if you really are concerned about conservation, ask any biologist and there is nothing wrong with letting mother nature clean up these lands.

To sellout our public lands would only benefit our country for a very short time, more oil is not the answer, better technology is. This is my concern, we have to look further then 4 - 8 years down the road, and small quick cash is never the answer, it just gives you a break from the true problems. So to sell off even a fraction of public land is just a waste in the end, the benefit just isn't there.

Also drive out to the Summitville mine in CO, tell me if you don't think that is a wasteland.

Now on to other issues I really thinker ate in for hard times either way, better prepare. I just don't see how we all will not feel the pain outside of our hobbies no matter who is elected if we are to turn this country around. We have to bring jobs back to America, problem with us Americans is we want cheap goods but all of us want high salaries, that just doesn't go hand in hand, why do you think the poorest nations only import goods?
Thank you ! Permanent solutions to short term problems are not the answer. Stop exporting our wealth and importing their poverty is the solution. Taxes need to go up to pay for what we have already spent and are spending now.

Jon Boy

WKR

I understand that, the point im trying to make is everyone talks about the deficit and how it needs to be fixed BUT as soon as the "solutions" start affecting some one or there family they automatically are against. For instance, selling public land. I know that isnt the solution to the problem but I was trying to show that'd i'd be willing to give something up to try and fix the problem(apparently I didnt do a very good job at showing that in my above post) The above post by daveinjax mentions tax increases, im sure if president obama raised you taxes 30% to pay for all of the money thats been spent under him you'd have a bitch fit and not support him.
People want coal fired power plants phased out (me included) but dont want to pay the 16 cents kwh for electric etc. People are constantly saying that we need to stop exporting all of our jobs, but no one wants to pay double the cost of goods if they were made here. I could go on and on with examples but its not going to help any. I dont have the answers as to whats going to fix the country I sure hope one of the candidates does

dotman

WKR
In the end only thing that will do anything is more revenue, either party is going to raise our taxes, just depends on if it will be a direct or indirect increase. Small item permanant decisions are not the answer. If increasing my taxes means a more stable country I'm for it.

Shrek

WKR
I'll be first to say all the Bush error tax cuts need to go away. Then we need to get serious about cutting . We have had two unfunded wars that will cost trillions going into the future. We will be taking care of thousands of disabled soldiers for the next 60 to 70 years and the army's equipment will need to be replaced or rebuilt. Do we need to be the worlds cop ? They are spending millions to put in cameras around the I295 beltway. Do we really need cameras? I have driven that road for the last 19 years without cameras to watch me. If we do not stop the gold plating of every project and cut some others we might get it done. If you want to see an example of what is wrong then google the artical "The Plane That Ate The Pentagon".

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
While I agree that more revenue is necessary to get a handle on the debt crisis, I disagree that higher taxation is the solution... Less take-home pay means less money to spend which will only take revenues away from businesses that pay taxes. I would really like to see the tax system greatly simplified with only a handful of deductions that really make sense... Taxing businesses at high rates is a mistake also because that will kill the job market.

The bottom line is that the Federal Government is entirely too big and wasteful. There are plenty of vital government functions and agencies, but there are soooo many unnecessary programs, entities and regulatory bodies, and so few of them are run like a real business. If governement agencies and employees were incentivised for reducing their budgets or staying under their budgets instead of penalized for not using all of their budget that would be a step in the right direction. More services and governmental functions need to be returned to the private sector where they will be run more efficiently by an entity that will make a profit and therefore generate more revenue for the government rather than consume revenue.

Really hope whoever is elected can get things at least headed in the right direction. I don't feel like the current administration has the gumption to make the kind of decisions that will make a dent in spending. They seem to want to pacify voters with handouts and benefits the taxpayers can't possibly fund. If something doesn't change the US is going to make the Greek debt crisis look like Disneyland. Certainly selling off public lands is not THE solution to the problem. Hopefully it never comes to that.

dotman

WKR
Wow, just read the Paul Ryan Babe thread on bowsite, now I see why so many are sick of this topic and it was a good reminder of why I never go to that site. Sad to see so much hate within the hunting community. Good to see how even if we disagree everyone is civil.

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
The gov't as a whole needs to cut spending. Just too many programs, departments, etc. It's going to hurt that's for sure. But it has to be done. Regardless of who is in the office.