Vpa broadheads

406unltd

WKR
Has anyone used any of the vpa broadheads? I’m thinking about trying out some 125 3 blades from them and was curious of the overall performance and durability of the heads. Maybe some insight on sharpening them.

I think they're probably one of the highest quality heads for the price. They build heads for other brands as well. I've used their heavier 2 blades for years, but am looking at trying their 3 blade ones this year.
For sharpening I use a fine grit diamond stone. With 3 blades you just lay them flat on the stone and are sharpening 2 edges at once. Do a few passes and then rotate. A lot of guys suggest a file to sharpen 3 blades, but that seems to aggressive for me. The diamond stone does fine. There's some videos on youtube for sharpening.

I'd also suggest the nonvented ones. Seems like vented heads I've tried are always noisier than the solid ones.

kcormack

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the 3 blade 250 gr glue on for 5 or 6 years now. Very durable, fly great and sharpen easily for me. Consistent quality, of the dozens I have mounted on wood arrows over the years, zero issues spinning true. They have penetrated very well on Elk, deer, bear and mountain goat.
Sharpening. Six inch F.L. Grobet bastard file. Fallkniven DC3 synthetic stone. Technique dull broadhead, holding arrow with broadhead attached, 3 passes pushing the file back to front with equal pressure across two blades, rotate head. repeat 3 passes. After rotating 9 or so times you will "feel" thru the file that the edge is ready for the next step. The DC3 has a diamond dust layered metal piece glued on one side of the synthetic stone, this time pushing the broadhead with LIGHT pressure front to back across the metal side 2 passes each side rotate twice. Flip DC3 over to the synthetic side, with FIRM pressure push broadhead front to back 3 passes each side rotate twice. Should easily shave hair of your arm. In mid-season form I get 4 broadheads shaving sharp in 10 minutes. Which is a hell of alot quicker then the time it took to put this "how to" into words.
The file and stone I use at home and in the back country. The DC3 is rather small (they make larger) but it works for me and keeps space and weight down.
The F.L. Grobet file is by far the best I have found. A Nicholson doesn't come close.
Encouraging to hear people ask about sharpen'em yourself Broadheads.

Good Luck & Good Hunting

Beendare

WKR
I shoot the 150’s 2 and 3 blade- great steel, always straight.

I sharpen mine on the arrow with one of those triangle chock sticks ( about $15 on the sharpening sites) works great when you get a feel for it.

The carbon steel holds a great edge but they can form rust if you dont oil or silicone them in multiple days of rain

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
I use the 125gr three blade non vented. I like them. They are a very durable head and have done well for me on both elk and deer. I shoot them out to 60 yards with good accuracy, they shoot as well as I do.

Sharpening is easy as others have said. I have an old arrow that I cut off so it is about a foot long. Put the head in it and just push it away from you on a file or a stone. I use a Moore Maker diamond stone and then finish them off on an ultrafine stone. Quick and easy.

Kindo

WKR
I tested the 100 and 125gr solid 3-blade last year. Had a helluva time getting good flight out past 40 yards. I loved the bullet proof design but they were the worst performing heads (as far as flight is concerned) out of the 5 or so BHs I tested for use last year. They were part of a roughly 500gr arrow setup. I think I'd go vented next time.

I have shot the 100 grain vented for several years now on whitetail, boars, and bear. All have preformed well when the arrow is in the right spot. Have recently been considering going to the 125's to up the FOC some. Sharpening has been well described in above posts.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
I use the 125gr three blade non vented. I like them. They are a very durable head and have done well for me on both elk and deer. I shoot them out to 60 yards with good accuracy, they shoot as well as I do.

Sharpening is easy as others have said. I have an old arrow that I cut off so it is about a foot long. Put the head in it and just push it away from you on a file or a stone. I use a Moore Maker diamond stone and then finish them off on an ultrafine stone. Quick and easy.

Try finishing them off on a leather strop with a little compound. It will get them just a little sharper to where they will pop hairs.

slick

WKR
Have taken one bull with 100gr non vented. Sharp quartering to shot, busted through a rib and embedded into the opposite femur head @ 37 yds . Pulled it out gave it a touch up and looks like new.

Ac338

WKR
I shoot the VPA 100 grain 3 blade vented and love the quality, customer service, and ease of sharpening. If touching up I use a jewelstik and then a leather strop always decreasing pressure with each stroke. In my experience stropping is what makes them hair shaving sharp. If the broadhead has been shot into an animal or the ground I do the same thing but start with a bastard file instead.