VX-6HD tracking or mounting issues? Lost bull...

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka T3X w/ VX-6HD 2-12x42. Shooting 175gr Barnes VOR-TX LR @ 2835fps. I spent a great deal of time practicing over the summer, and felt confident to 500 yards prone/rest. I set a 400 yard limit for myself with ideal conditions only, and was going to limit to 200 yards under hasty conditions.

On my first ever draw bull tag, day 6 of 8...I have a mature bull @ 400 yards, static, broadside facing to my right. Scope is dialed to 400 yards. He's hanging up as some elk in front of him spooked. Prone, on bipod, with a rear rest. Light variable winds @ 0830L. I squeeze first shot...it's a hit but can't tell where, he moves downhill toward me slightly. About 375 yards. I do not redial scope, but squeeze a second shot. Hit, he goes down hard, but he's behind a tree. Hunting partner gets to his feet and begins to celebrate. I am still in the scope and see the bull get up after 5-10 seconds and starts to trot back to timber he came from. I attempt 2 more shots, but miss both as he's on the move. We think I must have one-lunged him and we'll find him dead in the timber. Then about 15 minutes later we see 4 bulls (he was with 3 others) moving about 3 finger ridges over. They are about 1000 yards and opening, and all appear to moving OK.

We head to impact sites. Not a lot of blood at either, and not bright like a vitals hit. First bit of blood after that is 80-100 yards away. Uh oh. We start tracking a bit later, and it does not go well. Blood rapidly tapers off to just a drop. About 8 hours and 2 miles later, we have lost all sign of blood, tracks lost in shale slides, etc. He went sidehill and even uphill at points. No sign of bedding down, etc. My buddy heads back to the water hole we hunted them over. I spend the remainder of afternoon snaking down the last basin, hoping I might spot him or find him bedded down. No luck. The next morning, we see a group of 4 bulls cresting the ridge into the next unit. No more sign of the bull along previous day's track. Obviously, we don't know for sure, but we suspect it was the same group and the bull I shot survived. But, I couldn't figure out how I missed both shots -- we thought they were high above spine, or maybe brisket. Regardless, left my first bull hunt fairly disappointed in my own performance.

Finally today I was able to sneak away from the family. I didn't have a lot of time. I shot a 5 round group @ 200 yards. It was about a MOA group, but it was centered 5.5" right of bullseye. So, about 2.5-3 MOA off. That would put it about 10" right at 400 yards. I can only think I hit him twice across the brisket or low neck...

Regardless, I felt my equipment and my shooting was dialed going into this hunt. I don't recall any huge impacts to my gun/scope, but we were hunting some very steep & loose country and I had definitely fallen a couple of times in the days leading up to this event. I also recall my windage knob had somehow come off zero (despite the lock) a couple of days earlier. I reset to zero, I also checked it leading up to the shots...it was set at zero.

So, I came here, and found multiple guys talking about issues with Leupold tracking / zero issues. I know my rings themselves seem solid. I plan to call Leupold tomorrow to see if I can send the scope back for a check on the tracking / erector. Is there any test that folks recommend for testing tracking at the range before I send it back to Leupold??

Anyway, I am somewhat relieved to find it was likely not completely poor shooting that caused this loss; but it still sucks to have put 2 bullets into a nice bull and have lost him. I'd like to get to the bottom of this, and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for any inputs / suggestions.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Hi RAM.

First, I'm sorry about your hunt. That hurts to read. And I'm sure it hurts to live it. I've been there, missing the only bull I've ever had a chance to shoot. Different scenario than yours, but anyway - just know you aren't alone.

Onto the scope...

You mentioned the windage knob came off zero and you reset it. Is the windage knob on the VX6 a pop up reset? Meaning, you can pull the knob out, spin it to zero, then push it back in.

If so, I'm wondering if the following scenario happened...

Step 1: The knob gets pulled out, either by your pack, your fall, a limb, something.
Step 2: You notice the windage knob is off.
Step 3: You dial it back to zero and the zero lock.

However...if the knob was never engaged and spun off in the first place, is it possible your re-zero was actually a dial?

A capped windage knob is my preference. Some guys like everything capped. And some more guys don't trust Leupold. Either way, I won't try to turn this into a Leupold bashing thread. If you shot the gun and tested the tracking before your trip, then that should give you confidence in the scope.

You mentioned practicing a lot...did that include dialing the scope up and down and back to zero and then shooting to confirm your zero?

OP
R

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. The VX-6HD windage turret (and elevation) has a small button you have to push to rotate off zero...then when you reset to zero, it pops back up and locks the turret into the zero position. It is supposed to prevent inadvertent movement while carrying slung, etc. It definitely helps, but apparently does not completely prevent it. I never had intent to dial windage in the field, so I agree...I need to get a scope with capped windage for sure.

I definitely dialed the scope from zero to 500 yards and back during practice...about 7.5 MOA. I did not dial windage once it was zeroed. I remember making some small tweaks to elevation at 200 yards on paper in the last week leading up to the hunt. I also recall chasing the windage zero slightly in the process. But leading up to the hunt, I was shooting at 450yards and ringing a 16" steel 90%+ of the time.

I didn't have a ton of time today, but I am going to try and get back out and dial in elevation and windage and test the return to zero.

jolemons

WKR
No comments on your specific instance, but I own a new Leupold VX6 that had a loose piece inside. I thought it was rifle, so my gunsmith was working in it when he discovered that the rifle was driving tacks with his test scope. Returned to Leupold and was quickly repaired and returned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
What type of base & rings do you have. A picatinny rail with high quality rings (all mounted & torqued properly) are what I prefer for a hunting rig. I use the NF rings. This system is rock solid and the possibility of a mounting system 'failure' in minimized with a rail and high quality rings.

crich

WKR
Id do a box test like bubblehide said and take the cap off to see if there might be rub marks on the post the set screws make contact against. I just bought a VX5HD and while the locking turret it a slick system I've been wondering about the possibility of those screws slipping internally. I dont foresee that happening but who knows.

Bum deal all around sorry that happened to ya.

Great job on getting on to a bull and sorry to hear about the lost animal. If there is one thing you want to feel confident in its your rifle system. Many of us have been in your shoes.

Before you jump to the equipment I would do a bit of troubleshooting first. There are quite a few variables with the issue in your hunt. The big things that stand out to me:

1) Your windage dial came off. - Hard to say for certain you put it back correctly?
2) You had a few falls on your rifle system. - Depending on how you mounted no doubt this could be the culprit.
3) Your shot on bull was light variable wind. - Was the environmental conditions you were shooting in similar to where your practiced? Did you account for wind when you took your shot?

Only you will know what its going to take to get your confidence back but here is where I would start:

1) remount your scope with Forms instructions on how to mount scope to retain zero
2) Remove action from stock and ensure recoil lug is properly in contact/action screws torqued to an appropriate weight.
3) Conduct a tall test/box test
4) Zero rifle at 100 yards and do a 10 shot group to confirm
5) Optional - Send scope back to Leupold for a mechanical review

OP
R

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning to get out Thursday and run that box test. I need to go open that windage turret and look. My hunting partner and I were talking and did recall the windage turret had come of zero a couple of days prior to the misses. I remember resetting it to zero. I am wondering if perhaps it did slip from the set screws during a fall, and then when I reset to "zero" I actually moved it off...
Id do a box test like bubblehide said and take the cap off to see if there might be rub marks on the post the set screws make contact against. I just bought a VX5HD and while the locking turret it a slick system I've been wondering about the possibility of those screws slipping internally. I dont foresee that happening but who knows.

Bum deal all around sorry that happened to ya.

OP
R

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
OP I see your from Idaho and this does not relate to your problem.
A discussion came up a month or so ago in another forum about the VX6 HD being illegal to use in Idaho
because of the built in electronic level.
I had doubts so I called the Idaho F&G enforcement dept. and they confirmed that they are illegal to use for big game hunting.
They also stated that removing the batteries does not make them legal.

Might want to give them a call to see if they tell you the same thing.
Might make for a bad day if you got stopped and checked by an officer.....
Hmmm, I never even thought of that aspect of it. I knew the illumination was OK, but hadn't thought of the flashing level system. Thanks.

OP
R

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
Well, just to follow up. I brought the rifle out yesterday, and re-zeroed. I brought 2.5 MOA to left and about a MOA down. From there, it grouped pretty decent. I ran a box tracking test for the VX-6 and it tracked really solid, including RTZ.

I spoke w Leupold and they told me to send it in for a check out.

Also told me to check action screws etc. They weren't loose, but they weren't exactly super tight either. I hadn't checked them since I got the gun from smith...it is a semi custom Tikka build. In doing so, I thought I would check out the recoil lug, etc. Upon removing the action, I found a crack behind the front action screw hole... so now the 10 month old stock is going back to McMillan.

So, at this point culprits are an impact to scope causing zero shift...or potentially loose / improper action torque...and I am wondering if that caused / contributed to the stock crack.

Anyway, I appreciate the inputs from you guys and I will definitely be doing more care & feeding of my rifle system before next season.

DPReef

FNG
Interesting, my rifle slipped down some stairs and the whole Wind knob came out a couple of threads. Windage hit 6” right, took off cap, set 6” left, put in cap and shot 6” left. must have done something wrong, maybe cap spun too, who knows but I see what looks like faint rub marks.

After that it held wind fine after dialing. Vertical was perfect.

I’m moving to wind plex reticle with capped wind dial as it hits everything I squeeze myself through.

OP
R

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
Well, just to close this thread....

I just got the email my VX-6HD was shipping back from Leupold. I called customer service and asked if they found anything. Was informed they found loose component(s) in the erector set and replaced that system. Hoping there will be more details in the paperwork when it shows up.

So there ya go. Now waiting on my stock back from McMillan and start shooting again...

crich

WKR
Man it'd be nice to be able to point the finger at 1 specific issue... at least everythings getting squared away and you'll have a rifle shooting straight. Hopefully a little time has lessened the heartache of your hunt... ive had a few that left me sleepless for a week or 2. Now theyre just stories. Good luck with your rifle and future hunts 👍

OP
R

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
It'll fail again, the vx6 is notorious for that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Suggestions for a .30-06 shooter who uses a 400y nominal max range? I read a lot of stuff from Form on here...I am leaning towards the SWFA 3-9 or Nightforce 2.5-10. I personally would like a little more magnification, but desire reliability and resistance to zero shift more.

woods89

WKR
Suggestions for a .30-06 shooter who uses a 400y nominal max range? I read a lot of stuff from Form on here...I am leaning towards the SWFA 3-9 or Nightforce 2.5-10. I personally would like a little more magnification, but desire reliability and resistance to zero shift more.
I have a Nightforce SHV 3-10. The zero checks are kind of boring these days..........

I had 2 scopes sent in to Leupold. Both VX5HDs.
Paper work that was returned with the scope was very vague. Don’t plan on any real details.

DPReef

FNG
Since I mentioned my VX6HD I want to follow up so people don’t get the wrong idea how mine turned out looks like the shots opened up about >2MOA and are inconsistent now (was MOA before) and so I think it is something wrong with my scope. To repeat my gun and scope slid down a staircase catching every one of the dozen steps with a big “clunk”. A few dents in the dials as they all stick out big time. Leupold said it will be covered in warranty and I’m about to mail it in. Will let everyone know how it turns out unless OP prefers me post elsewhere.

OP
R

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
Since I mentioned my VX6HD I want to follow up so people don’t get the wrong idea how mine turned out looks like the shots opened up about >2MOA and are inconsistent now (was MOA before) and so I think it is something wrong with my scope. To repeat my gun and scope slid down a staircase catching every one of the dozen steps with a big “clunk”. A few dents in the dials as they all stick out big time. Leupold said it will be covered in warranty and I’m about to mail it in. Will let everyone know how it turns out unless OP prefers me post elsewhere.
Doesn't bother me at all, please post results here. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and make the jump to NF or SWFA.