VX3i 3-10x40 with CDS ZL?

Anyone who actually owns one care to give information re: you experience. Looking it as a lightweight hunting option. Not looking to dial extensively. Not a paper puncher or super long range hunting fanatic. Will probably only dial just enough to be practice / proficient for hunting out to 450 or 500.

C

LightFoot

WKR
The problem with the 3.5-10x40 is that there is no parallax adjustment.

I love that scope. I had one (w/o CDS) with a custom shop ballistic reticle on a NULA 6.5 Creedmoor. I never got confident with it.

I moved to a 300 WSM and it now wears the 4.5-14x40, 30mm tube and Side Focus, with the CDS-ZL. I am doing the range work to verify my dope chart. The side focus is (for me) necessary for going past 300.

I think it is worth the extra weight.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
C
Thanks for the reply. Just looked at the specs on that scope. Seems like a pretty good option and not much more weight.

I got a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 CDS ZL on a Barrett fieldcraft. It’s exactly what I was looking for. I haven’t shot it much. I don’t know if it tracks like it should, but I indeed to find out. I’m only wanting it to “dial” to 400-500 yards. It should do just that.

mlgc20

WKR
I put the VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with the parallax adjustment on my daughter's 308. It is a great scope. Especially for the price point. I wouldn't hesitate to get another and put it on just about anything.

OP
C
Question for you guys that are running the 4.5-14
VX3i. How do those scopes do in the woods. I hunt a mix of sage brush and timber for elk. Would the field of view work in the woods.

C

OSUsmokey

Lil-Rokslider
I have used only 4.5x as my low power the last 10+ years. Do mostly Timber hunting with mix of sage and juniper in East Oregon. Ive never found it to hinder a shot at an animal. Only time I could see it being a problem is if I cross over the Mtn at all and chase blacktails in the thick thick brush. Ive been looking at the 3.5-10 exclusively for my new 300 wm, but after thinking about having more zoom on the back end by giving up hardly any FOV in 4.5 compared to 3.5 I have leaned now more toward the V3I in 4.5-14x40mm
Also according to Leupolds stats on their site the 4.5-14 is actually .01oz lighter than the 3.5-10