VX5HD glass vs Mark5 HD glass

I did a simple dusk test with both my Leupold VX5HD and Leupold Mark5 HD. I was unable to tell a difference between the 2 and honestly I thought the VX5HD because of its larger FOV seemed brighter. With that said the Mark5 HD was very clear and bright right up to dark. It just has a slightly smaller FOV.

Has anyone compared the VX5 or 6 HD vs the Mark5 HD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Don't take this as gospel, but I'm pretty sure the VX5 HD and the VX6 HD share the same glass. The VX6 just has more features, which gives it the higher price tag. With that being said, I'm betting the Mark 5 has the same glass as well.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
They are different optical designs. The specific types of glass chosen for each element in each design are chosen for that specific optic.

They aren’t the same, but use similar technologies.

OP
General RE LEE
After doing this test, I decided to not get a 2nd Mark5 HD to go on my 6.5mm Creedmoor Tikka T3. I believe the VX5HD has a larger eye box and will serve me well for hunting out to 500 yards.

I will keep the Mark5 HD on my 7mm STW cause my Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm STW is a beast and would benefit from the bells and whistles of the Mark5.

OP
General RE LEE
What magnifications did you compare the brightness at?

5x

I believe the larger FOV of the VX5HD at 5x power makes it “seem” brighter but in reality they were neck and neck. I’m still very impressed with both scopes. I think for a 500 yard and closer scope the VX5HD will do great. The Mark5 HD is just spooky bad to the bone.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04