VX5HD Horror Stories True???

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Good morning everybody, figured I would update this thread after 7 or 8 months of time passing.

The scope dialed right in and I ran it for a few months without issue. Then one day, I pulled it out of the safe to go shooting after about a month hiatus. Just wanted to put some rounds down range before I took the rifle deer hunting. I was surprised to see what I refer to as a "spiderweb crack" that went from about the 2 o'clock position down and left across one of the internal lenses of the scope. The rifle had been sitting in the safe with nobody but me accessing the safe, and the safe hadn't been opened in about 4 weeks. It didn't have the issue when I put the gun in there in the first place, talk about bizarre. All I can figure is that it had a small imperfection from the factory that was outside the FOV that slowly expanded across the whole view with time. I warrantied it, and got rid of the rifle it was on. When I got the warranty replacement, the gun's accuracy went to absolute crap. 2 scopes/mounts/rings and a new stock later, the rifle is gone now and the scope sits in my closet unused.

Dad might want it for a sheep rifle build he's looking at doing, so we are thinking we will warranty it and try it out on his upcoming carbon barrel 6.5 creedmoor, because at this point, there's a mental block that I'm having a hard time getting over with the VX5's, and I don't think I have the mental fortitude to try a third one out. It blew my mind that I went 0/2 on the $1k scopes from Leupold, but that's exactly what happened. Totally unexpected.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Are you using a lead sled when shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Are you using a lead sled when shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nope. Never have, never will. I shoot and sight in everything in free recoil, the same as it will get shot in field.

Good morning everybody, figured I would update this thread after 7 or 8 months of time passing.

The scope dialed right in and I ran it for a few months without issue. Then one day, I pulled it out of the safe to go shooting after about a month hiatus. Just wanted to put some rounds down range before I took the rifle deer hunting. I was surprised to see what I refer to as a "spiderweb crack" that went from about the 2 o'clock position down and left across one of the internal lenses of the scope. The rifle had been sitting in the safe with nobody but me accessing the safe, and the safe hadn't been opened in about 4 weeks. It didn't have the issue when I put the gun in there in the first place, talk about bizarre. All I can figure is that it had a small imperfection from the factory that was outside the FOV that slowly expanded across the whole view with time. I warrantied it, and got rid of the rifle it was on. When I got the warranty replacement, the gun's accuracy went to absolute crap. 2 scopes/mounts/rings and a new stock later, the rifle is gone now and the scope sits in my closet unused.

Dad might want it for a sheep rifle build he's looking at doing, so we are thinking we will warranty it and try it out on his upcoming carbon barrel 6.5 creedmoor, because at this point, there's a mental block that I'm having a hard time getting over with the VX5's, and I don't think I have the mental fortitude to try a third one out. It blew my mind that I went 0/2 on the $1k scopes from Leupold, but that's exactly what happened. Totally unexpected.
I had a vx5 that held and returned to zero but wouldn't track,I had it fixed and promptly sold it.
I decided to try another one for a shorty hunting rifle that won't be used beyond 600 yards, and last year I bought a vx5 with the impact 29 reticle.
So far its tracking dead on but I don't necessarily trust it.
It has a good holdover reticle so dialing isn't as important

Decker9

WKR
Iv laid a lickin on my 3-15x44 the last 3 years bouncing it between rifles and mountains and countless range sessions, 100% satisfied, but I do feel the mushy clicks some others talk about.

I have 6, VX5's and have not had any problems with tracking or returning to zero. I do have a VX6 that has a return to zero problem. Tracks just fine though. I do know that Leupold says never ever, ever , ever shoot out of a sled especially one mounted down on a table. I do believe with todays lighter scopes, with large caliber light weight rifles we are begging for our scopes to not be able to hold zero. In my humble opinion of course

No issues with my VX6HD and VX5HDs despite a lot of air and vehicle travel, tons of miles in the woods, and dialing for game and steel.

Only had one user-induced issue related to “return to zero” which resulted in a “one that got away” moment. Got pretty anal about checking since then.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Multiple in field failures with VX-6 and VX-5. Unfortunate that I had to move away from them after being a long time user. When it causes you to miss out on an animal you worked hard for it leaves a real sour taste. Lifetime warranty doesn’t mean squat at that point.

Meopta, Zeiss, and Nightforce are scopes I’ve used and abused with really great results so far. Feel free to PM for more details.

Rich M

WKR
I have no experience w leupold in the past couple years, since 2019. Had a vx3i and it held a group about 3 inches st 250 yards. Got mad at it and put older vx2 on ther and shot 1 inch groups. Same gun, same ammo.

Decided to make a switch and havent looked back. Love tha vx2 to death, sold the vx3i and was happy to see it go.

LRJammer

FNG
The older Leupolds had tracking issues. Generally the VX-5 does not. I know the one I have doesnt but as always, you have to test and confirm that for yourself and have Leupold repair/address that if needed.