VX5HD or SHV

jt4

WKR
Looking at either a leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 or a night force shv 3-10x42 to put on a t3x 30-06. I don’t hunt past 400 and am not a long range shooter. I like the dialing of my swaro z3 on my kimber but just thought I might try something different on the tikka.

Opinions on one vs the other?

Third option I guess I could put another z3 on the tikka to keep the glass the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bater

WKR
If the Leupy was a reliable dialer it would check all my boxes, as this is not the case the NF is the easy choice

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
How’s the glass on the SHV compare? I don’t want to take much of a step down from the z3

Dcrafton

WKR
I’ve got 2 of the VX5hd, both 3-15x44, 1 is a fire dot, 1 is the wind plex. I dial with both and are very impressive and dial perfectly.

Dcrafton

WKR
I’ve had mine since they came out, zero problems.. I would buy another. I’ve got one on a 280ai custom and one on a 25PRC. Great glass a they dial perfectly

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
If you are not dialing a whole hell of a lot, the Leupold wins hands down. The glass is so much better. They are probably lighter (guessing) and despite what some say, they dial pretty reliable. If you are only shooting out to 400, chances are, you are not dialing all that much anyway.

Bater

WKR
If you are not dialing a whole hell of a lot, the Leupold wins hands down. The glass is so much better. They are probably lighter (guessing) and despite what some say, they dial pretty reliable. If you are only shooting out to 400, chances are, you are not dialing all that much anyway.
Glad I don’t have to preface my gear with “if you don’t use it much”...

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You’d be surprised how many guys, in blind scope comparisons, are terrible at picking out which is supposed to be “good glass” and which has a reputation for “bad glass”.

Go with the scope that dials reliably and is way more rugged. NF all the way.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

What are your using for windage and elevation at 400 yards if you aren’t dialing?

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
What are your using for windage and elevation at 400 yards if you aren’t dialing?
Windage is always a hold for me. I either dial or use my reticle for hold overs. I have BDC reticles on some rifles, Mil dot on others. My shorter range rifles, under 500 yard guns usually wear reticle's I can hold over on. I prefer the benefit of a lighter weight scope on a lighter weight, shorter range rig.

Monty3006

FNG
I have the SHV on my T3 300wsm and really like it. Takes the total weight to just under 8lbs. I have no complaints about the glass quality either.

It is a nice feeling have confidence in your gear.

I had a SHV go to crap on me.

NightForce customer service sealed the deal for me. All they wanted to do was point fingers everywhere and not back their product. I’ll never buy their shit again.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I have a VX5hd 3x15x44 firedot and LOVE IT, its tracking has been flawless, although I haven't dialed it a ton. I feel the glass is as clear has my swaro slc 10x42.

That being said, I got it 2 years ago, and with all of the complains since, I'm a little nervous it will fail when I need it most! For that reason I'm not sure I'll keep it, or that I would buy again.

Bater

WKR
I had a SHV go to crap on me.

NightForce customer service sealed the deal for me. All they wanted to do was point fingers everywhere and not back their product. I’ll never buy their shit again.
Care to expand?

Care to expand?

Internals failed and left the erector tube wandering.
I switched out the scope, problem disappeared.
Contact NF CS and they start right out wanting to blame mounts.
I swapped out mounts... same shit.
NF CS then tells me it must be the rifle. I explain to him that that has already been ruled out by putting another optic on it and tell them it’s a proven rifle.
CS dick laughs at me and tells me “Yeah, everyone has a proven rifle and everyone is a professional shooter”, then goes on to question my abilities.

I sent it to them and they sent it back nearly a year later with note of what they did or didn’t do.
I didn’t waste my time with it or them any further.