VX6HD vs Ziess V6 vs NXS

ckleeves

WKR
Yes, the blue ones.

I am not a comp shooter so I don't need a lot of the bells and whistles that come with those scopes. I need a simple zero stop, a scope that dials every time. Here is the hardest part, It must be lightweight. I carry this sucker far more than I shoot it. Unfortunately lightweight, dialing and returning to zero don't go hand in hand for the most part. But like I said I tried to break the husky's and they kept on tracking.

BUT, their glass is almost unusable at times(low light). My wife and I got into a big fight waiting for a buck to stand up because she thought her scope was fogged up, I said nope is a Huskemaw:)

What model was that? The 4-16 or the 5-20?

I have a 4-16 that I don’t hate. It’s stayed around while a few other scopes have come and gone. The reticle has grown on me since I first got it, I like capped windage and I don’t think the glass is horrible. You can’t set it side by side with a X5 or an ATACR but I have looked through worse.

I keep wanting to try a 5-20. The 24 ounce weight keeps tempting me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used the first two scopes mentioned but I have some experience with the NXS. I use the 5.5-22X50 on my 300 win mag this last year and I have no complaints. The glass is good IMO but I enjoy the tracking system the most.. Its consistent and well built. Yea its a big "heavy" scope but if your you plan on shooting long distance does that little bit of extra weight matter.. To me not really, just my 2 cents. I haven't shot a whole lot with my rig yet but I have it shooting out to 700 yards pretty well, and the only reason I haven't shot farther is because that's the farthest setup we have for now. With that being said the times I went out I set my moa turret for 700 yards. It was the same moa every time while returning to zero. I had issues with that with a different scope in the past.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
5.5-22x50 nxs might be in my future. Hard to argue with the reliability and tracking. For those who have used them, how is the illumination feature and do you prefer the moar or moar-t reticle. Leaning towards moar non illuminated...

ckleeves

WKR
5.5-22x50 nxs might be in my future. Hard to argue with the reliability and tracking. For those who have used them, how is the illumination feature and do you prefer the moar or moar-t reticle. Leaning towards moar non illuminated...

I’m not sure you can get a non-illuminated NXS. The MOAR-T is pretty fine I prefer it over the regular MOAR for really long distance stuff. The MOAR may be the better all around hunting reticle though. Look through both before you buy. My dad can’t see the MOAR-T very well but his eyes aren’t the best. Personal preference between those two.

The center only illumination is nice on the MOART IMO. The entire reticle illuminates on the MOAR and it can be a little much at times. That being said illumination is a little overrated in a hunting scope I think.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I can’t seem to find any without illumination. Not crazy about illuminated reticles. Is it possible to shut off the illumination feature? I thought I read somewhere the illumination adjustment isn’t too easy or fast to use.

WyoElk

WKR
It’s fairly easy to use but it’s even easier to not use. You turn it on by pulling out the parallax Knob. If you don’t want to use it you will likely forget the scope even has it. To turn it on is a fairly intentional act.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
It’s fairly easy to use but it’s even easier to not use. You turn it on by pulling out the parallax Knob. If you don’t want to use it you will likely forget the scope even has it. To turn it on is a fairly intentional act.

Well that actually sounds nice. Can you adjust the illumination brightness from behind the scope or do you pre set the brightness and then activate it when you pull out the parallax knob (one brightness setting available when you activate the illumination)?

WyoElk

WKR
That’s the shortcoming of the NXS. You actually have to screw the cap off, pull the battery and adjust the brightness with a screwdriver. No field adjustments available, at least not quickly anyway. I like how the design keeps you from accidentally turning it on though and thus wasting the batteries. I honestly forget that my NXS even has the illuminated option.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Yup. As long as it only goes on when I would want it to then it doesn’t sound too bad. I doubt I would ever use it much anyway.
What reticle do you use WyoElk?

WyoElk

WKR
I’m using the MOAR and like it. There’s plenty of people with more experience than me however.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a couple Huskemaw scopes and like them. I got the giant 5-30x when a friend had a chance to buy a couple at a really low price. It does well in low light, my buddy and both thought it outperformed his Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 in low light. Granted that is far from an apples to apples comparison, but it gives a guy an idea, the Z5 is no slouch in low light. My big Huskemaw has dialed well but I don't have a ton of shooting behind it yet. It's a big heavy bulky sucker. I've taken a couple deer with it but not at long range. I have focused more on practicing with my 300 win mag for the moose hunt last fall, just haven't shot the heavy 264 as much yet. When I have it's done well.

I have a 3-12x Huskemaw on my 300 win mag that I have dialed and shot quite a bit. It has held zero very well on the fairly light (8.25lbs with scope, sling, ammo) 300. That rifle has a tough life too, it gets beat around quite a bit. I did a lot of shooting out to 600 yards with it before my moose hunt. I shot Nosler E tips for that hunt and didn't trust them to open any further than that. Anyway it has handled everything I've thrown at it. The glass seems decent on it to me. Glass problems seem to show up more at higher magnification though, maybe the 12x top end is the reason I like it so much. I consider the low light performance of my 3-12x Huskemaw better than my SWFA 3-15x42 for example. We compared it to the Z5 one evening also and neither thought we could take a shot with the Z5 we couldn't with the Huskemaw. The Z5 was a brighter though, the Huskemaw wasn't as good.

My biggest reason for liking Huskemaw is the capped turrets and reliable dialing. I like being able to set them and not worry about them unless I have a shot with the time and need to dial. The weight of the 30mm scopes is nice too. I am not a dedicated long range hunter, just a hunter. I do enjoy practicing at longer ranges but I haven't shot anything much past 600 yards and really don't know that I will. For my needs the Huskemaw seems to be enough. I kind of like having a top end of 12-16x on a second focal plane scope for my max hunting range. If I need to make a second shot on an animal that doesn't drop instantly it's easier to quickly get that second shot lined up on 12x than on 20x or 30x.

I have a couple VX-6 scopes in 3-18x. I love the TMOA reticle and the glass is very good. I just don't trust them, both are currently off at Leupold because they didn't always return to zero properly after dialing elevation. Mine are not the HD series but I don't know if they changed anything internally. In my opinion Leupold's VX series are great scopes to just zero and shoot, but not reliable enough for me to dial with on a hunting rifle.

Hope some of my rambling helps.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
And question for Ryan... I see some swaro x5s on sale now. If you had to choose between the nxs 5.5-22 or an x5 which would you choose? And which x5, 3-18 or 5-25?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would take the X5 non-Illuminated. I like that it's only 27oz. And yes NF guys it still spanks the ATACR in glass quality IMO:) But you don't need top end glass for LR shooting. But it's hard to go backwards once you do.

@Brush Buster they don't make the reticle I have anymore.

ericF

WKR
I would take the X5 non-Illuminated. I like that it's only 27oz. And yes NF guys it still spanks the ATACR in glass quality IMO:) But you don't need top end glass for LR shooting. But it's hard to go backwards once you do.

@Brush Buster they don't make the reticle I have anymore.

Apparently they aren't going to make the non-illuminated X5 anymore. Whenever I picked my 5-25 up a couple months ago I originally ordered the 4wx reticle through Fierce, but eventually Swaro told them that reticle was discontinued. The midway email from today says the X5 non illuminated has been discontinued and if you look at the Swaro website, it only lists the X5i. I just picked up a 3-18 from Outdoorsman the other day when they clearanced them out, but unfortunately it was $300 more than the Midway price which is pretty damn good.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Apparently they aren't going to make the non-illuminated X5 anymore. Whenever I picked my 5-25 up a couple months ago I originally ordered the 4wx reticle through Fierce, but eventually Swaro told them that reticle was discontinued. The midway email from today says the X5 non illuminated has been discontinued and if you look at the Swaro website, it only lists the X5i. I just picked up a 3-18 from Outdoorsman the other day when they clearanced them out, but unfortunately it was $300 more than the Midway price which is pretty damn good.

Yeah, I saw that. I still have never used illumination while big game hunting.

Holy crap those X5's at Midway went fast, after I read this I went and looked, $1899 for the 4W reticle, added it to cart, ran a quick search to make sure I could get a couple code or something to work, hit submit and it told me my cart was empty and it didn't go through. Looks like all they have left is the BRM reticle, which I do not like.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys prefer between the 3-18 or 5-25 x5? Is there a big difference in size?