VXR 28" Tuning questions

I just purchased the VXR 28" (sweet bow) and I'm getting some weird paper tune results. 60Lbs., 27.75" Axis 340, w/50 gr. insert, 100gr. FP, X nock and 4-vane Max 23. Through paper at 3-5 feet, Nock left tear with fletched arrow, nock left tear with bare shaft w/ 18gr. of electrical tape at fletch area and perfect bullet holes with bare shaft w/no tape. I know the 340"s are a little stiff at these specs but I don't understand these different results. Any thoughts

Zac

WKR
Makes absolutely no sense to me. Have you tried mixing your arrows up or turning your nocks. I just built up a batch of Axis 260s and there seems to be little to no variance at all with nock tuning.

OP
B
Thanks for your response. I spin tested all the arrows and they are good. I have not tried nock tuning. Could you share your process for nock tuning?

I don’t think the 340’s are that stiff for your setup at all especially when considering you have 50 grains up front. Most tuning charts don’t compensate for that.

I would bet that if you got some lower poundage mods to try your tuning issues would go away. FWIW I would be into a 300 spine arrow with your setup if it was me.

OP
B
WOW! Thanks for the detail Reburn...that software is awesome! Also, thanks for the vid on arrow tuning. Best, Btuna.

4ester

WKR
How good is your form and release? Does your tear change with a surprise release?

Paper tuning is just a starting point. No such thing as too stiff of an arrow (not as forgiving.....yes)

SoDaky

WKR
Integrate rest?
If so,play with it a bit and double check any 'moleskin' type covering.

OP
B
How good is your form and release? Does your tear change with a surprise release?

Paper tuning is just a starting point. No such thing as too stiff of an arrow (not as forgiving.....yes)
Form is good...spent all winter going back through Dudley's School of Nock series. I'm shooting silver back so, all releases are a surprise. Are you saying that a stiff arrow tends to be less forgiving then weak shaft?

OP
B
Integrate rest?
If so,play with it a bit and double check any 'moleskin' type covering.
Yes, brand new integrate....actually had my archery shop replace it last week because first one wasn't micro adjusting. I will check the moleskin. Thanks

4ester

WKR
Form is good...spent all winter going back through Dudley's School of Nock series. I'm shooting silver back so, all releases are a surprise. Are you saying that a stiff arrow tends to be less forgiving then weak shaft?

Just don't overlook "you" as an issue for a tear. I wouldnt worry about paper tuning with a bareshaft. I'd forget the tape on the bareshaft and try shooting 10/20 yards and compare POI between fletched and bare, and do some walkback tuning. Ive found that even after getting a perfect bullet hole through paper that you still will need to tweak it after further shooting. Paper is just a starting point.

And yes a stiff arrow is a hair less forgiving, but I wouldnt worry about that. You do not have a spine issue. Target guys shoot 150's with low draw weight.

OP
B
Just don't overlook "you" as an issue for a tear. I wouldnt worry about paper tuning with a bareshaft. I'd forget the tape on the bareshaft and try shooting 10/20 yards and compare POI between fletched and bare, and do some walkback tuning. Ive found that even after getting a perfect bullet hole through paper that you still will need to tweak it after further shooting. Paper is just a starting point.

And yes a stiff arrow is a hair less forgiving, but I wouldnt worry about that. You do not have a spine issue. Target guys shoot 150's with low draw weight.
Ok, I will have a friend film me and check form. I will also drop tape and test bare shaft at 10/20 and compare POI...good advice. I've done the modified walk back tuning in the past...vertical painters tape, shoot at 20yrd and then use 20 yard pin to shoot 30, 40 and 50yrds. to see if arrows stay on vertical plane. Finally, I thought arrows on the stiffer side were better/more stable with fixed blade BH's....that's what I shoot.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Just a thought but have you tried a different arrow?
I've tried tuning with the same arrow and was pulling my hair out getting inconsistent tears and come to find out my arrow was slightly bent! Learned to use 2 arrows to check results.

OP
B
Just a thought but have you tried a different arrow?
I've tried tuning with the same arrow and was pulling my hair out getting inconsistent tears and come to find out my arrow was slightly bent! Learned to use 2 arrows to check results.
I did spin test the arrows before paper tune and all spun well. Thanks for the reply