VXR 31.5" Tuning Tips

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I did it, I bit the bullet and picked up a new VXR 31.5". I shot it against multiple Hoyts, a Prime, the new PSE's and a Bowtec. It was right for me.

It's been 17 years since I purchased a new bow. I worked in archery shops all throughout high school and college and picked up my last hunting bow (Hoyt Razortec) in 2003. That being said things have changed a lot since I was really plugged into the archery world.

I am new to all the new cam tuning with the new yoke styles. I know how to time the cams but beyond that I have no experience. I will be putting a ripcord rest on the bow and am shooting a 575 grain arrow properly spined for the bow.

Any tips on where to center the rest? How to tune once I've shot the new GAS strings in a little bit?

I haven't seen any threads on this and thought it might be helpful to others as well.

Thanks in advance!

MattB

WKR
Based on what little I know, I would set the top cam straight up and down and the arrow level and through the berger button and go from there paper tuning/bare shafting/BH tuning.

Congratulations on your new bow purchase. You picked a good one.

With a Mathews you will want the center shot set at roughly 13/16” off the riser and then you have to adjust the top hats if not paper tuning or bare shaft tuning good. No yoke tuning on Mathews.

When I set mine up, I ran the center shot so the arrow was running right down the center of the limbs bolts when viewed from above, I think Mathews recommends 13/16 from the riser. The rest height was set with the center of the arrow running through the center of the Berger hole. Nocking point was dead level.

First shot was a bullet hole. I know you hear that a lot when people talk about new bows, but that has never happened to me before with any bow brand. I checked the tune with a walk back tune also and that was right on as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
JBahr

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
New GAS Strings are on, rest set 13/16th's from riser, through the Berger hole, poundage backed off to 70lbs. Shooting Day Six 300's arrows with aluminum 50gr insert/outsert combo and 125gr point, total arrow weight is 564gr. Day Six says this is properly spined, but it's close.
IMG_3109.jpg

I am getting a nock tear Left. Moved the top hats to shift the cam Left. Still getting Left tear with bare and fletched shaft. Ordered a master set top hats from Lancaster, in hopes another combination will result in a bullet hole.
IMG_3106.jpgIMG_3107.jpg

A few questions:
- I found that the top hats that came with the bow were inconsistent between the top pair and bottom pair, they were all four different sizes. Also the top cam was spited to the right and the bottom to the left. Others who have VXR's, did yours come the same way? Does Mathews have official instructions on how these are set up?

- Am I under spined and just denying it because I don't want to spend $200 on a new dozen arrows?

- Anyone else struggling to get bullet holes?

Thanks!!!

OR Archer

WKR
VXR will have varying top hats from bow to bow and they hardly ever match on each cam after tuning.
you’re not under spined. You just need the correct combination of top hats and it’ll tune just fine.

OR Archer

WKR
Also changing the top cam top hats will have a greater effect on the tune than switching the bottom. So for larger tears starts with the top cam. For smaller movements adjust the bottom.

OP
JBahr

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
29.5" Draw Length, 30" Arrow Length.

OR Archer. I heard this and that was my first move, definitely tightened it up but did not fully correct. The bottom cam top hats looked like it could get the cam further to the left so I then swapped top to bottom. No effect...

If you are worried about weak spine back your limb bolts down and see if it fixed it. That should give you an answer.

I have a trx 36 that is doing the same thing. Haven't messed with top hats yet. Going to go play a bit more with it and see if I can figure it out. My rest is set just inside 13/16. Probably about 25/32.

Picking up a shim kit for the top hats. Still getting a nock left and bareshaft right impact. Cams seem to be sitting about perfect at rest.

Definitely isn't a weak spine issue.

Zac

WKR
I am having the exact same issue. I can't seem to tell exactly where my center shot is. How are you guys measuring, I tried using a micrometer and the Tru-Center laser aligner from OMP. Seems like it's difficult to tell exactly where I'm at on the arrow.

OP
JBahr

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Lowered my draw weight and getting the same tear... Bought a few test arrows in a higher spine to see if there is any difference. I plan to shoot at 75lbs anyway so moving up in spine is inevitable.

I am having the exact same issue. I can't seem to tell exactly where my center shot is. How are you guys measuring, I tried using a micrometer and the Tru-Center laser aligner from OMP. Seems like it's difficult to tell exactly where I'm at on the arrow.

Tape measure perpendicular to your arrow up against the riser. Mathews recommends 13/16". You generally have a little +,- with that. Basically use a tape measure to get it close, then tune till you get desired results. If that's clean paper, bareshafts, or broadheads.

To be exact I find it easier to measure the inside and outside of the arrow. Then you can find center. But it's not that critical, unless you have a tuned bow and you are swapping the rest.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
Many of the TRX I have looked at come with a different set of tophats top and bottom. I'm not sure why they do that. I have had to make tophat adjustments with all of my wife and my bows the last 3 years. The TRX36 we are shooting this year all came from the factory with tophats that put centershot outside of where I like it. There was definitely some swapping going on with them!
Great looking setup.
Which tophats did you have in the bows to start with? (where were the lines on the shoulder of the tophats)

OP
JBahr

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I did not take the time to document which sets were in there. I will once I start moving them again with the master set. I'm hoping the set comes with some guidelines. To this point, I have yet to find anything in writing from Mathews.

Switched out my top hats to the .35 on left side of top cam and whatever it pairs with. Getting bullet holes bareshaft at 5 feet now. Fletch is good also. Bareshaft at 20 yards is still a right impact of 5-6" or so. Haven't adjusted the rest any. I think I'm going to try to 70v mod and might shorten the draw a little. Having some trouble with my grip on this bow with the side plates and think I might be having face pressure issues. Once I get the kinks worked out I think this bow will be a shooter. I'm going to keep shooting it line it is for a few days or a week and revisit the tuning once I think I'm getting a little more consistent.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I do not believe it comes with any guidance.
Basically you need to use them as a set that is marked the same to equal 0.175". There will be 2 lines on one side and 1 line on the other side..but they HAVE TO BE IN THE SAME SPOT ON THE TOPHAT
in the attached pic The red is a set, the yellow is a set and the green is a set.
3110500.jpg3110500.jpg