VXR pricing

Local shop has a bare (new) VXR for $799 and I was wondering if that is a good price point?

I personally don't mind buying a used but it is all they have

Sidenote: caught them 10 minutes until close and haven't shot it yet. Will do that tomorrow. Trying to upgrade to dual cam from PSE Brute (2013). I lean toward the VXR over the V3 for no real reason. They seem pretty close.

That's a steal in my opinion, assuming you want a new bow.

Or you can be like me and continue to buy them all the time just to try. It's not exactly sound financial advise.

• Haha
Reactions: Zac
OP
C
Hmm, I assume it is new simply based on the location it was in the store. Will verify tomorrow. If it is used what's a fair offer I should make?

I wouldn't sell mine for less than that.

You can look around at what the used ones are going for, I think for the most part it's around that $750-8 mark.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
You’re already close enough to see what the 2022 is going to offer, I’d hold off unless you need it for the season.

OP
C
You’re already close enough to see what the 2022 is going to offer, I’d hold off unless you need it for the season.
Eh, I personally think annual updates on these bows in gimmicky and the big boys are just playing the long game (they can't release all the new stuff at once). I just wanna upgrade an old bow and will upgrade again in 7-10 years.

Year to year these days, bows arent advancing like they were 10 years ago. I have 2 VXR 28s. Shot the V3 and couldn’t tell any difference. Chances are the v4 or whatever they end up calling it, will be at best incrementally better. That’s no shot at Mathews, these bows are just that good.

All these companies do at this point is change up the ATA length and rotate their focus year to year between speed and smooth draw. Throw in some minor change like the limp noodle roller guard on the v3 and you have a “new” bow.

I wouldn’t hesitate at all buying a vxr. 799 new is a steal, and is $400 cheaper than essentially the same bow with a different name. Even used, It’s still not a bad price. Just going through archery talk, most people are asking north of 799.

So it is used. I see mild scratches. May still pay $800.... hmmm

800 is about what you’d pay used through archery talk, and you wouldn’t get to actually see the bow, and hope it didn’t get jacked up in shipping. Just check the limbs and make sure they are smooth, no splintering or hairline cracks. I would put new strings on a used bow no matter where I got it from. Especially if it’s the stock zebras.

OP
C
Okay the plot thickens, I went this morning to give it the test run. While setting it up the guy showed me the bearing cap or casing had come off the lower cam. Said he would have to call Mathews Monday. He said they would more than likely send a new cam and he would call me when they fixed it. So he took my information and phone number and slapped it on the bow, nice of them to atleast "reserve" it for me.

I called the only other local bow shop to see if they had a VXR and they only had V3s. This thread is about to take a turn I'm afraid and so far the input you guys have put in has been awesome and better than most of my forums experiences lately. That being said:

Is this damage concerning?

I've put a lot of eggs in this VXR research/review basket (V3 seems like same bow but more money) and like everything I've read. What other company offers something very close to the quality and size?

The only other issue I noticed on the bow was the top sight hole painted was chipped (probably from bad finish or over torqueing). That's could or could not be an issue, gotta put a sight on it and see first.

Thanks again for the help y'all.

If they replace the cam, it’s probably fine. Mathews doesn’t send out just a bearing, they send out a complete cam - so that’ll be new at least. If you are talking about that black round plastic dust cover on the bearing - that’s *probably* from someone overtightening the axles. I’ve seen it a few times where that dust cover pops off because people think you have to put 40 ft lbs of torque on that screw. Mathews uses a screw into the axle instead of an e-clip like Hoyt. You cant overtighten an e-clip, but people love wrenching that axle screw. Just hit it with a drop of blue loctite and snug it up. Do not overtighten the axles.

The paint chip by the sight mounting screws is probably fine. You’ll see that by the sight and rest on used bows pretty often.

That being said, and take this with a grain of salt, that cam could’ve been messed up from a dry fire. There’s no guaranteeing anything with a used bow. All you can do is look it over really well, make sure the limbs are in good shape, shoot it and see if there’s anything vibrating. The vxr is pretty dead in the hand, you’d be able to tell if something was off. If after that it’s worth taking the chance to save 400 bucks, go for it.

As far as similar bows, is it the 28 or 31.5 you’re looking at?

OP
C
If they replace the cam, it’s probably fine. Mathews doesn’t send out just a bearing, they send out a complete cam - so that’ll be new at least. If you are talking about that black round plastic dust cover on the bearing - that’s *probably* from someone overtightening the axles. I’ve seen it a few times where that dust cover pops off because people think you have to put 40 ft lbs of torque on that screw. Mathews uses a screw into the axle instead of an e-clip like Hoyt. You cant overtighten an e-clip, but people love wrenching that axle screw. Just hit it with a drop of blue loctite and snug it up. Do not overtighten the axles.

The paint chip by the sight mounting screws is probably fine. You’ll see that by the sight and rest on used bows pretty often.

That being said, and take this with a grain of salt, that cam could’ve been messed up from a dry fire. There’s no guaranteeing anything with a used bow. All you can do is look it over really well, make sure the limbs are in good shape, shoot it and see if there’s anything vibrating. The vxr is pretty dead in the hand, you’d be able to tell if something was off. If after that it’s worth taking the chance to save 400 bucks, go for it.

As far as similar bows, is it the 28 or 31.5 you’re looking at?
I'd prefer the 28, but if a better option in 31 is a better I'd be more than willing to look.

And thanks again, when I get back over there I will check over the limbs a good bit and I plan on shooting it a lot.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
You plan to keep the bow 7-10 years? So at best you save $50 a year over new with warranty, proper setup etc. Buy a new bow.

OP
C
You plan to keep the bow 7-10 years? So at best you save $50 a year over new with warranty, proper setup etc. Buy a new bow.

This is smart thinking and I appreciate the advice.

Well, I shot the V3. I'm not pro and I am not a great a shooter. I was not a fan of the brace height or the string angle. I am moving forward to try the Elite Kure. Thanks everyone for your help.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
Okay the plot thickens, I went this morning to give it the test run. While setting it up the guy showed me the bearing cap or casing had come off the lower cam. Said he would have to call Mathews Monday. He said they would more than likely send a new cam and he would call me when they fixed it. So he took my information and phone number and slapped it on the bow, nice of them to atleast "reserve" it for me.

I called the only other local bow shop to see if they had a VXR and they only had V3s. This thread is about to take a turn I'm afraid and so far the input you guys have put in has been awesome and better than most of my forums experiences lately. That being said:

Is this damage concerning?

I've put a lot of eggs in this VXR research/review basket (V3 seems like same bow but more money) and like everything I've read. What other company offers something very close to the quality and size?

The only other issue I noticed on the bow was the top sight hole painted was chipped (probably from bad finish or over torqueing). That's could or could not be an issue, gotta put a sight on it and see first.

Thanks again for the help y'all.
Little late to this, but my brand new v3 27 has this happen occasionally with the top cam. They did not send a new cam to my shop even with the tech sending a message about it.