VXR string failure

Ordered this bow new Jan 2021, didnt get it until April, been tinkering quite a bit getting setup and comfortable at distance. today I go to let down from full draw, right when I slowly cam over peak weight, SNAP. a few choice words came out of my mouth and im still a bit sick to my stomach.

has anyone ever seen anything like this? it looks like it came apart right at the third speed nock, closest to the cam. At first I though maybe I torqued the bow bow and derailed, but I dont think I did, and that part of the string never touches the cams.

2021 VXR 31.5 70lb 30in factory strings maybe 300 total shots through it.

Edit: also about 20 arrows since it came back from the shop for a follow up tune. Also very interesting, the string loop for the top cam has about half its strands broken, half in tact.

1625616884356.png
1625616915071.png
1625616941928.png

Last edited:

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
the last pic almost looks like it was cut as it is so straight across. Crazy.

Glad your alright. If be bringing the bow in ASAP too have it checked over.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I kinda suspect that it's a bit of a freak thing, definitely seems to be related to the nocks. I have seen peeps damage strings and cause something similar. No marks that you can feel on the peep, but they still damage the string. Could be a nock had a burr that was overlooked, I don't know.

The most surprising part is the peep is still in place. That's what I find impressive.

OR Archer

WKR
Being that both the string and serving material are pretty much cut square like that I will say it’s not a string failure.
Did you have an arrow loaded? You stated you were tinkering. Trying to get all the details.

I have seen several derailed Mathews, I haven't seen one completely break the string, yet.

It's possible, but the break isn't where it would have been contacting the cam.

Maybe it derailed on the bottom cam, as the upper cam rotated past rest maybe it bound the string on the speed nocks.

The newer switchweight cams have way deeper tracks on them just because of the derail issue.

Reactions: Zac
My PSE dry fired on my draw board when the d-loop broke, and the string broke 3" from where the string contacts the cam, and chewed those speed nocks to heck.

Right, but a derailment if the string is going to get damaged is usually where it rolls over the cam.

Tho the situation is never the same.

My first thought was a derailment from torquing the bow while letting down, but I'm not so certain. Likely not going to be able to figure it out. Just get it all checked out, get it back together, and get to shooting again.

Zac

WKR
My buddy had a similar thing happen with a Triax. He was holding at full draw. There was a slithering unwrapping sound and his sight housing shot off the bow. Bow was only supposed to have 100 or so shots through it.

IMO, once that string derails......all bets are off. Just about anything can happen.

Could be, and likely you are correct. I haven't watched them on slow motion footage.

I have just seen several, and I actually can't recall a string failure. But I have seen string failure at full draw.

Dynamic situation, likely almost anything is possible.

OR Archer

WKR
Could be, and likely you are correct. I haven't watched them on slow motion footage.

I have just seen several, and I actually can't recall a string failure. But I have seen string failure at full draw.

Dynamic situation, likely almost anything is possible.
I’ve seen more than my fair share of derailments over the years. In most cases you’d be correct that the string wouldn’t be damaged. However I’ve seen plenty be destroyed as well. No arrow and hitting the trigger as it derails would be a prime example of how it could break.

I’ve seen more than my fair share of derailments over the years. In most cases you’d be correct that the string wouldn’t be damaged. However I’ve seen plenty be destroyed as well. No arrow and hitting the trigger as it derails would be a prime example of how it could break.

Yeah, lots of scenarios could have played out. I'm not trying to argue it, just speaking on what I have seen. I'm sure you have seen more than I have.

It all happens so fast it's hard to know exactly what happens.

I

OP
sickles107
Maybe it derailed on the bottom cam, as the upper cam rotated past rest maybe it bound the string on the speed nocks.

This makes the most sense to me out of anything, but I guess we will never know for sure. Need new strings reguardless. Thanks for the insight everyone.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
This has been a common problem with the VXR's and the Zebra strings. I have seen at least 20+ posts about this same thing happening between archery talk, and the 2 mathews facebook pages. Then you get all the fan boys saying that the dry fired etc and not accepting the fact that there is a big issue with the cam post and string angle combined with the zebra strings that are not served at the loop ends.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Google "zebra strings on vxr broke" and you can read as much as you want about the issue.

This has been a common problem with the VXR's and the Zebra strings. I have seen at least 20+ posts about this same thing happening between archery talk, and the 2 mathews facebook pages. Then you get all the fan boys saying that the dry fired etc and not accepting the fact that there is a big issue with the cam post and string angle combined with the zebra strings that are not served at the loop ends.

So where does this break have anything to do with the cam post or the loop ends?

Where this string is broke is outside of the cam area.

The bigger problem I think is the people that are having trouble with nocks holding up on the Mathews, that's something I have been fighting now.