VXR string failure

OP
sickles107
I edited in after the original post, I later found that the string loop on the top cam had half its strands broken, but half in tact, pretty interesting... hard to say what happened first or what happened in general, especially after reading up on similar issues with these bows.

If the string is damaged in two spots, I'm thinking a lot more along the lines of what OR Archer brought up. I'm wondering if an arrow was on the string and your release accidentally went off.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
So where does this break have anything to do with the cam post or the loop ends?

Where this string is broke is outside of the cam area.

The bigger problem I think is the people that are having trouble with nocks holding up on the Mathews, that's something I have been fighting now.
Google is your friend. Many days discussions on this issue.

Google is your friend. Many days discussions on this issue.

I did google. I didn't find much. Like I said, this break that is at the speed nocks has nothing to do with posts or loops.

The op went back and edited his original post, that's where he does mention loop damage. If the loops had been damaged any amount of time the way he described them, the string would have been creeping an insane amount and among other things the peep wouldn't have been staying anywhere near straight.

This bow almost has to have been dry fired with damage on two parts of the string. You don't have cut strands for any amount of time without them showing up.

OR Archer

WKR
This bow almost has to have been dry fired with damage on two parts of the string. You don't have cut strands for any amount of time without them showing up.
Most guys aren’t willing to admit they messed up their bow by dry firing it. Ive seen it plenty of times, and the type of damage he has and it’s 99% of the time from a dry fire, not a bow derailing. There’s not enough force in a bow derailing to cause a string to break in multiple areas, especially an served area.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I had a new ABB bowstring on my VXR fail last year during the draw. Now I wonder if there is something with the VXR that caused it and not just a faulty string.

OR Archer

WKR
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the VXR. I personally sold and setup at least 200 of them. NONE had string issues. In total we sold over 500 of them at the shop. Not a single string issue. If there was it would of showed up in that kind of volume.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the VXR. I personally sold and setup at least 200 of them. NONE had string issues. In total we sold over 500 of them at the shop. Not a single string issue. If there was it would of showed up in that kind of volume.
All I know is that a 10 second google search says different. So either there are a lot of bad zebra strings on bad VXR's or a lot of incompetent VXR shooters.
Not trying to flame just stating facts.
4B512D84-6705-432E-8AEF-507C2E0642CF.jpegFE948BA2-19D8-47DE-9759-013673633B80.jpegB095609B-F7C9-4881-9C02-9EAFC599D300.jpeg721E774F-7F95-4076-B79E-0FDBB302CA87.jpegB842611C-8EC3-439D-8963-AD1C908ECB09.jpeg

OR Archer

WKR
I could google the same for every manufacturer and get the same results, so that’s not conclusive evidence. Having worked in a high volume shop for over a decade I can say with certainty that 8/10 times guys won’t admit to their mistakes in instances like this. In that same time I can count on one hand the number of actual string failures that weren’t shooter error or damaged in some other fashion.

All I know is that a 10 second google search says different. So either there are a lot of bad zebra strings on bad VXR's or a lot of incompetent VXR shooters.
Not trying to flame just stating facts.
View attachment 305502View attachment 305503View attachment 305504View attachment 305505View attachment 305506

You read what you circled?

Those pictures aren't all switchweight cams. I can tell from the served loops they ain't zebra strings.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I'm sure with the thousands they have sold a few had a problem. I have personally seen a Mathew's string come apart at full draw. The string had been damaged from the user sliding the peep around under tension. Most people won't own up to something like that. Let alone dry firing.

Zac

WKR
The thing I don't understand is why Mathews hasn't cut ties with Zebra? I think this just shows the bullheaded mentality of this company. Dudley's recent podcast with Aleman shed some light on what it is like to be under contract with them. Maybe it's some sort of contractual issue.

OR Archer

WKR
The thing I don't understand is why Mathews hasn't cut ties with Zebra? I think this just shows the bullheaded mentality of this company. Dudley's recent podcast with Aleman shed some light on what it is like to be under contract with them. Maybe it's some sort of contractual issue.
You do realize that Mathews started and still owns them right?

I'd guess that Mathews makes pretty good money on the zebra strings. That's why they don't drop them. They can probably buy enough 452x in a year to get it pretty heavily discounted. Then sell the strings at a premium.

Overall I don't find them terrible, I'll generally shoot them til I have problems, then replace with a quality set of BCY 452x from someone else for way less money.

Reactions: Zac
Within the past 4 weeks I had a new Zebra trophy string and cables put on my VXR 31.5. I've only put about 50 arrows through the string, went out to shoot this morning. About 1/2 way through my first draw cycle everything exploded. After some major cussing I went into the house to look over the damage. My lower yoke cable was completely frayed and broke where it attaches to the plastic D ring.

Curious as to whether anyone else has had this happen?

And no, bow was not dry fired. No, I did not torque the draw.

My last string was still in decent shape after two years but had a little stretch. I'm sure I put thousands of shots on it without so much as a hiccup.

Last edited: