Waders for Alaskan float moose hunt

MattP15

FNG
I was wondering if I and my buddy going on a 10 day float moose hunt should take light weight waders? My Outfitter just suggested tall rubber boots. I just feel like I should take waders just in case. What are your thoughts guys?

Waders all the way. Must be an old school outfitter? Probably tell you to wear rubber hip boots 😂.

Simms breathable waders are way better overall. Way more versatile since you always step in over the boot. Also you can sit anywhere and not get your butt wet. In the rain it’s the only thing that will really keep you dry.

Last edited:

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Ive taken simms with boots but my buddy brings the combo of boots attached to the waders and his life is much easier slipping them on and off. I almost made the change last time I went but the weight was the same and having the boots makes them more comfortable and versatile in my opinion. The biggest down side the waders is how much space and weight they take up. I'm going to do more research before my next trip in a couple years to try and find something less heavy but not sure its out there.

I can't imagine being on water without waders, but I fly fish a lot as well...

The biggest thing for saving weight is thinking of your waders as pants. Now you can take one less pair of pants to offset the weight. (But it's a float trip, why does extra weight matter?) In the summer and fall the weather is generally warm enough to not wear another layer under the waders, maybe shorts at most.

Sure there may be days rubber boots are ok, but when its raining, or you need to cross a swamp to pack out the moose, and kneel and sit in wet to cut it up, you will wish you had waders...

slick

WKR
I'd recommend bringing a fleece or merino set of leggings to throw on under the waders while actually floating... especially through a good stretch where you aren't moving as much.

Can always take them off and throw'em in in a handy dry bag if you're going to be active.
Edit: I've never moose hunted specifically but have fished and floated a bunch.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I can't imagine being on water without waders, but I fly fish a lot as well...

The biggest thing for saving weight is thinking of your waders as pants. Now you can take one less pair of pants to offset the weight. (But it's a float trip, why does extra weight matter?) In the summer and fall the weather is generally warm enough to not wear another layer under the waders, maybe shorts at most.

Sure there may be days rubber boots are ok, but when its raining, or you need to cross a swamp to pack out the moose, and kneel and sit in wet to cut it up, you will wish you had waders...
The inner surface of waders isnt very comfortable on bare skin so I wouldnt wear shorts unless I had knee sleeves or something. Plus they can get a bit clammy if you don't have at least a light weight layer under there.

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
When you spend all night standing in 2 feet of water butchering a moose you'll be glad you had Sims waders.

I was wondering if I and my buddy going on a 10 day float moose hunt should take light weight waders? My Outfitter just suggested tall rubber boots. I just feel like I should take waders just in case. What are your thoughts guys?
What area are you hunting?

And what part of Kansas are you from? I moved up here in '16 from Butler Co.

Also keep in mind that if your buddy gets out on one side of the raft it doesn't necessarily mean you can safely get out on the other side of the boat. A buddy of mine learned that the hard way and earned himself a (REDACTED) River Swim Team T-Shirt.