Waders for Moose

Hey guys, I got a moose hunt lined up next year west of Anchorage. Temps should be fairly mild but I was told to bring chest waders. I know Simms are the car's meow but $900 for waders and boots sounds crazy to me. Are there any alternatives that you guys have been using that will still get the job done. I will buy the Simms if that is the consensus, but looking to save money wherever I can. Thanks for your experience

mcseal2

WKR
I’d buy the Simms and then sell them after the hunt if you have no further need for them. When I went we wore our waders every time we left camp and through a lot of brush. I’d consider what you lose re-selling them as good insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmrfish

WKR
Hey guys, I got a moose hunt lined up next year west of Anchorage. Temps should be fairly mild but I was told to bring chest waders. I know Simms are the car's meow but $900 for waders and boots sounds crazy to me. Are there any alternatives that you guys have been using that will still get the job done. I will buy the Simms if that is the consensus, but looking to save money wherever I can. Thanks for your experience

Rain in your forecast. Lots of rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Simms Guide classics are made in Montana and look like what I have, the Headwaters Pro (pre G3). They are $450 and Simms has a $50 rebate through 11/10.

The G3’s have a few more features, but the classics should still be a pro quality wader.

If you won’t need the traction advantages and ankle support of a wading boot, you might be fine with a larger pair of trail running sneakers.

OP
H
I am for sure going to need the ankle support. I am hoping to be packing out a Moose at some point. Sounds like most everyone has said what I figured. Spend the money and dont look back. Was just hoping there was something that was still high quality but half price. haha

Simms G3 chest waders are worth it. If you live near a local store that carries them, go try them on for the size....there are many different sizes. Then keep an eye open for used ones (ie ebay or elsewhere). I bought a used pair G3 waders and sent them in to Simms to replace the neoprene feet(feet felt tight - had them put larger size neoprene feet on them) and fix and leaks for $60 (flat rate for any repair and return shipping). Had less than $300 in them. The Simms G3 boots are well worth the money as well. Then sell them after the hunt like others said.

You will likely be living in your waders for the duration of the hunt....based on recent experience.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Simms are great, that’s what I use. Don’t get all worried though, get yourself some breathable caddis waders and you’ll be fine. I used the caddis for several seasons and they worked really well.

If you want good waders, get the sims but you don’t need them to have a great moose hunt. Don’t listen to the people who tell you that you HAVE to have Simms.

When I was shopping around in 2014, I found the Orvis Ultralight Convertible waders. I have used the Orvis waders on five moose hunts and a number of fishing trips. I clean, inspect, redo the DWR and dry them after each hunt. They have always been ready for another trip. Given the fact that they hardly look worn, I can only assume that this trend will continue for a while.

The only thing that I would add is a center zip. Having to take off my rain jacket, bino harness, and life jacket every time nature calls is a bother. But it's moose hunting ... I just slow down and enjoy the hunt even with its built in inefficiencies.

I tried to skimp on the boots but could not. I tried ever lesser wader boot in Fairbanks. The only ones that fit my feet were the Simms Freestones. They are quite comfortable. Spending over $150 on a pair of wader boots seemed insane at the time. After hauling out three moose, I would say that the boots and waders have more than paid for themselves.

AKDoc

WKR
Anchoring what you already know (and keeping it anchored)...

Spending money on chest waders for a moose hunt in Alaska, when a hunter lives elsewhere and maybe enjoys other outdoor activities and hunts that will never again require chest waders, IS a big pill to swallow!

First of all, good on you to listen to whomever it was associated with your hunt telling you to bring chest waders...do it. Second, you are correct in your thinking to get stocking foot chest waders and good wading boots separately for the needed additional ankle support when humping those moose quarters and game bags of meat...you will never forget that part of the hunt...ever!

Regarding different chest waders and boot options, as you already know, they are quite numerous. On a remote drop moose hunt up here, we must buy waders that we are ABSOLUTELY positive will keep us dry...day after day in wet and challenging Alaska conditions. Failure is not an option...it could well ruin our hunt or worse. Additionally, we are better off buying chest waders that can hold-up to busting brush up here, which you may have to do every day. Waders that puncture or rip easily are not an option whatsoever on a remote drop-hunt up here.

Given the above...if you will never again need chest waders, I encourage you to look at the resale market, and get an idea of market demand for different brand names and the resale return for those different brands. I have no idea what that looks like, but I do encourage you to add that to your decision making process. As just an example, you might find that buying G-3's have a better/best resale demand and dollar return. The bottom line might look better for you...again, I have no idea.

I live here, so I cry once, and hold....next season is year 9 with my G-4's, and I use the hell out of them every year. The very best to you for a safe and memorable hunting adventure next year!

I will give my two cents real quick. The Simms are amazing but super pricey. For my moose hunt though I took a nice pair of cabelas breathable waders and stayed perfectly dry the whole time. I spent less than $200 for mine. I knew it would probably the only time I would ever use them. Or use them very rarely. The one caveat I had was that I had a hot tent with me, so if I did get wet I wasn’t worried about drying out. So that factored into my decision. But I chose this route knowing where I live I couldn’t buy and then sell the Simms easily and it would have cost me $3-400ish more than the cabelas once all said and done. Anyway, if you have the coin and will use them again, go Simms. If this is a one time use the cabelas breathable chest waders were a great option. At least for me.

Brendan

WKR
Big fan of the Orvis Pro Series waders. Legit competition to the Simms.

I've been thinking of upgrading to the Zipper'ed version.

Odin509

FNG
Get the Simms with a zipper. its nice to able to pee with out taking off your top layers

mooster

WKR
Simms don't wear like waders. I live in mine for my moose hunts, and once their on, you really don't notice them. They aren't sweaty and clammy, and super flexible for mobility. And Simms will repair any hole w/in their warranty period and ship them back via expedited service. I wouldn't risk my comfort on such a long tough hunt to saving a few dollars. Maybe look on rokslide classifieds, Craigslist, or ebay post season.

OP
H
Thanks guys! I will order up some Simms. I am usually not one to skimp on things but the price of waders seemed excessive. I think I was having a hard time because of how much I have waterfowl hunted in some cheaper waders with 0 leaks.

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
I have never Moose hunted, but I spend a fair bit of time on the water chasing trout. I love my Dryft waders. I did quite a bit of research before I bought them and could not find any bad reviews.

Dryft

Went with Simms g3 and ordered a total of four pairs of boots. First three Size 13 G3, size 13 flyweight, and size 13 Orvis ultralight. Fourth pair and the winner was Orvis 14 ultralight.

Simms waders are sure enough easy to wear. In hope they are tough enough for brush busting.

I’d recommend the Simms G3 wading pants, as opposed to chest waders, combined with the Simms Flyweight wading boot. From my perspective, using pants gives you more versatility for temperature regulation and feel less cumbersome. If you’re between lengths on the Simms sizing chart…..go with the longer length. This will be appreciated when you’re high stepping over things.