Waders for Moose

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d recommend the Simms G3 wading pants, as opposed to chest waders, combined with the Simms Flyweight wading boot. From my perspective, using pants gives you more versatility for temperature regulation and feel less cumbersome. If you’re between lengths on the Simms sizing chart…..go with the longer length. This will be appreciated when you’re high stepping over things.

The pants are nice, I have a pair I love to use for fishing but for hunting, I like the waders any day of the week.

I’d recommend the Simms G3 wading pants, as opposed to chest waders, combined with the Simms Flyweight wading boot. From my perspective, using pants gives you more versatility for temperature regulation and feel less cumbersome. If you’re between lengths on the Simms sizing chart…..go with the longer length. This will be appreciated when you’re high stepping over things.
I thought about pants but i figured with waders I could get on ground, elevate my torso just a little, and still keep my seat and lower back dry. Might be nice on ready soggy ground on a day that it’s not actually raining.

i wore dryft wading pants on this years moose hunt. Sweated my nutz off. Granted we were hiking 2 miles from camp. theres no way i could wear full waders doing that. most outer layer jackets these days have some type of DWR that will help with any ground moisture on your back or stomach if your laying down. excited to wear these dryft wading pants more. they held up to all the alders and rose bushes great and they were actually fairly quiet compared to my older frogg togg wading pants. the dryft brand is an inbetween from cheapies and the simms but more on track with the simms thickness for material. I would give them a good look, they got really good reviews.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
You got a year to get yourself some waders... Watch Craigslist, eBay, and other classifieds. You never know what you'll find. This summer I picked up a brand new pair of Simms Waders with the tags still on them for $150. The guy bought 2 different pairs at the same time and never used the pair he sold me. I haven't done anything cool like a moose hunt in them but they are very comfortable to wear.

For what its worth he bought his Simms for an Alaska Moose hunt and seemed happy. He also uses them for waterfowl hunting here in Nebraska so if your into that they might have more than 1 purpose for you to help justify the cost.

ColeyG

WKR
Nailed it in each case. The G3 pants are the way to go for me when chasing swamp donkeys in the swamp. I do like hunting them in the hills quite a bit better though.

IMG_8815.JPG

Voyageur

WKR
i wore dryft wading pants on this years moose hunt. Sweated my nutz off. Granted we were hiking 2 miles from camp. theres no way i could wear full waders doing that. most outer layer jackets these days have some type of DWR that will help with any ground moisture on your back or stomach if your laying down. excited to wear these dryft wading pants more. they held up to all the alders and rose bushes great and they were actually fairly quiet compared to my older frogg togg wading pants. the dryft brand is an inbetween from cheapies and the simms but more on track with the simms thickness for material. I would give them a good look, they got really good reviews.
Do the Dryft waders have a seam on the inside of each leg? I ask because that feature, actually lack of, is what keeps leading my search back to the Simm's.

no seams on the inside of the legs. I watched a few videos dryft put out on their waders/wading pants and they address that specifically in the videos. Most reviews i have read about them say they are very comparable to the G3's. Lots of reviews on those waders. I searched for a while and decided to try them out. i got the GD wading pant. I would read some reviews on them and see what you think, just another option to check out. The only down side to the waders is the elastic belt they provide. its great until you got a loaded pack and then the pack slowly pushes down the belt since it is elastic. Easy fix, i used a different belt.

mcseal2

WKR
Tundra hippies work but are thinner material than the G3 waders I have. Also they don’t keep your butt dry. They have their place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tundra hippies work but are thinner material than the G3 waders I have. Also they don’t keep your butt dry. They have their place.

I have just a about given up on getting a pair. Let’s go Brandon!

I have two pair of seal skins That fit great over a thin Marino sock in my wader boot. Thinking about buying a pair of these as well. Not cheap, but they seem to be a good option for a mid level wet day….

I’m pretty particular about my feet. Pretty tough about the rest of me. Cold hands suck, but easy enough to fix if you have time. Hard to fix feet both in terms of blisters and Thermo. Good news is I don’t blister easily. Nasty cruddy feet. I love them. Wife not so happy, but I can walk over oyster beds like a coon and not think about it. Not like I used to (thanks desk job) but still pretty good.

bmrfish

WKR
I have just a about given up on getting a pair. Let’s go Brandon!

I have two pair of seal skins That fit great over a thin Marino sock in my wader boot. Thinking about buying a pair of these as well. Not cheap, but they seem to be a good option for a mid level wet day….

I’m pretty particular about my feet. Pretty tough about the rest of me. Cold hands suck, but easy enough to fix if you have time. Hard to fix feet both in terms of blisters and Thermo. Good news is I don’t blister easily. Nasty cruddy feet. I love them. Wife not so happy, but I can walk over oyster beds like a coon and not think about it. Not like I used to (thanks desk job) but still pretty good.

I second the seal skins. I take them along with the Simms waders and wader boots. Depending on the day’s terrain and weather, they are a great change up to not need to wear the waders every day. Just wear them with pants and the wader boots.

I second the seal skins. I take them along with the Simms waders and wader boots. Depending on the day’s terrain and weather, they are a great change up to not need to wear the waders every day. Just wear them with pants and the wader boots.

That’s my plan. I’ll have modern “waterproof” pants for “dry” days with my Orvis Ultralights and sealskin with a rolled up Impertech in pack just in case. If it’s gets real wet that day I can dry out pants while wearing waders. Bringing just wading boots and I think croks for footwear.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I do that but with Simms wet wading socks. I wear my regular socks, then pull the wading sock over. It takes up the room of the boot just like if I had my waders on and keeps my socks dry.