Waders for Sitka Blacktail?

crispmarb

FNG
Headed to AK for my first Sitka Blacktail hunt. Done some multi day river trips and basically lived in waders. Was considering taking waders to hunt. Gonna live on a boat and use skiffs to get into hunting areas. Any thoughts about pros and cons of waders?

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Well, if you haven't already headed to AK. Where are you heading too? Generally I wouldn't worry about waders. Once you hit the beach you'll be hiking the hillsides or into the trees and meadows.

OXN939

WKR
Headed to AK for my first Sitka Blacktail hunt. Done some multi day river trips and basically lived in waders. Was considering taking waders to hunt. Gonna live on a boat and use skiffs to get into hunting areas. Any thoughts about pros and cons of waders?

Are you talking about a trip this fall? I'd go with gaiters for snow for sure, but wouldn't take waders unless you know an area you're headed to specifically requires them.

I wore my Simms on my last Kodiak deer hunt, and on a POW bear hunt and Adak Caribou. Only way to stay dry when it really rains. And it can really rain in Coastal AK! Not sure when or where you are going but I would bring them for sure if even for the option.

Honestly a pair of simms might be the ticket. Though I don't know if id want to metric ton with a loaded pack with a set of wading boots.

ColeyG

WKR
I really like the Simms G3 Guide pants for hunting in super wet and/or muddy conditions. I almost always have a pair along if I am not actively wearing them while hunting or wheelering into a hunting spot. The pants are much more friendly for things like carrying heavy backpacks, putting a pistol on your waist, using the bathroom, and adding/removing clothing layers etc.

They are significantly lighter and easier to hike in that the heavier full height waders as well.

Whether or not you need waders for your hunt, that is a different question. If you do need them, check out some of the pants options out there. I use my for moose hunts more than anything else.