Waders - hip or waist

Going to Alaska this coming April-May for caribou, going to be my first time. Any recommendations on hip boot or waist waders - breathable or neoprene?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like chest waders or wading pants because you can get better quality boots. Those hip waders always have loose fitting built in boots.

mcseal2

WKR
Where and how are you hunting? Float or drop camp? My trips to AK took very different waders depending on the area. My advice is ask your transporter if you are using one.

When I was growing up, the Ankle Fit hip boots were what everyone recommended. Now that I've tried them, and the waist waders with Simms G3 boots, I would really recommend waders you can wear those boots with.

The answer mostly depends on what type of country you will be hunting. A little background info there would help for us to make a suggestions. In wader country though, hip pant waders such as the Simms all day long.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Tussock country is brutal on the ankles. You want to hedge your bets with some stockingfoot waders and good wading boots.

Brendan

WKR
Unless you're looking for something to take on/off for stream crossings, I'd go with stockingfoot chest waders. Another great reason: you can turn them inside out at night to dry, and even throw them in the washing machine. And, I know some can be rolled down and used as waist-high. Bring a set of socks that'll work with your wading boots and a light pair of pants if the weather ends up being hot and sunny.

A lot of people will recommend Simms G3/G4, so far I've had great luck with the new Orvis Pro Waders, and they just released a zip version. 5 layer on the lower legs for durability, very comfortable. Haven't used them a ton in warm weather though.

Aubs8

FNG
I hunted sheep in AK twice in Cabelas waist waders/hiking boots 100% of time. My guide wore Simms. I would bring those for both Moose and caribou if hunting around water.

Take care.
Mike

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
Simms G3 and G4 wading boots are good for hiking. I found them in combo with my Simms chest waders to be a critical part of my kit on a caribou hunt in 2019. Just replaced my G3 boots with G4s after my son "borrowed" them and decamped for Colorado permanently.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Simms G3 and G4 wading boots are good for hiking. I found them in combo with my Simms chest waders to be a critical part of my kit on a caribou hunt in 2019. Just replaced my G3 boots with G4s after my son "borrowed" them and decamped for Colorado permanently.

I live out of my g3 waders and boots for a lot of the year. Those are some of the best pieces of gear I own hands down.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP