Waders / wader boots / jacket combo...

Base camp drop hunt.

Anything wrong with making this my wet weather hunting set up, only with a different pair of boots? Going to get too hot?

I’m really confused. Pilot recommends having stocking waders for loading and unloading plane, or dealing with a bull in standing water.

I’ve read the some folks “live in their waders”, but are they actually hunting in them. Are the stockings made to be in hiking boots? Hell, they probably won’t even fit in properly sized terrestrial boots.

Do folks pack an recto entire (see link) set of wading gear, and then terrestrial wet condition apparel / footwear as well? I guess they do.

Pilot pushing Sitka, etc waterproof stuff hard. If I’m going to buy a full on set of Simms G3 shit, I’m more amd more inclined to then go with under layers in currently have and then Impertrch pants and jacket for hunting most wet times.

mooster

WKR
I lived in my waders last year. To get in and out of plane was belly deep. Then in and out of raft exploring our lakes and creek area we would go knee to waist deep. There were days I absolutely didn’t need them, but I was never uncomfortable in my simms. This year I’ll bring the simms and some Chota’s so I’ll have some knee highs w/neoprene footies to wear in my wader boots for those “drier”, not completely dry days.

You will want actual wading boots to put over the stocking feet. Wading boots are oversized to fit the extra material of the stocking foot for the waders. Were lining up a raft this year for our hunt and i will most likely be hunting in my wading pants for most of the trip since we are hunting meadows with ponds. If you being dropped off at a lake and hunting highlands you probably wont use them much other then getting in and out of the plane. if your hunting meadows with creeks and swamps you will probably wear them more then you think. I dont think most people are putting on miles a day hiking for moose so you shouldnt get to hot if your doing spot and stalk type stuff with some calling mixed in.

OP
P
Okay, so…. Drop hunt on floats with base camp. May rent a raft. Would this be as appropriate, or is there too much overlap?

- Stocking waders
- Real Waterproof jacket (impertech type deal)
- Wading boots

- Waterproof and breathable pants
- waterproof and breathable jacket
- footwear?

I figured with this I can go light weight modern breathable on no-rain / dry conditions, or light rain conditions….

And…

With the impertech, waders and wading boots I’m good for downpour, belly high water, any foreseeable muck.

Additional questions:

1. Please confirm that wading boots and the stockings of waders are capable of light hiking about? Seems like neoprene stockings might get dry and hot, and wear out in boot over dry ground.

2. Folks wear socks inside stocking waders?

3. On the breathable pants / jacket set up… ankle high hiking boots be my preference, but in can see 18” rubbers being nice. Packing both puts me a min of three pairs shoes (camp shoes, tall rubbers, hiking boots, wading boots).

4. I’ve read where some of the modern (Sitka, etc) breathable Waterproof jackets can be a bit constricting. Wound up looking at a Sitka waterfowl jacket that claims to have better range of motion in arms, shoulders and chest. Should this be considered?

5. These Chota hip waders with a pair of wading boots sure seem like a nice compromise and I imagine lighter than full blown chest waders. Plus you can roll them down. They don’t do n anything for your rear when sitting on ground though. I’d hate to have to trust modern high dollar breathable pants to prevent a wet ass from sitting on wet ground a couple hours at a time while hunting. AHHHHH. If the wading boots really are pretty tough, in guess i could get a pair of these chotaz in lieu of tall rubber boots and bring them on dry / dryIsh days with the breathable water proof pants.

6. New “waterproof” breathable stuff like Kiki, etc. Is it a mistake to plan to use that as outerwear in dry conditions? It breathes, so it shouldn’t get too hot, right?

7. What wading boot would you recommend for hunt, and if you don’t mind, why?

8. Thoughts on this clothing list as good framework? Looks pricy! ;-)
https://katmaiguideservice.com/brown-bear-moose-gear/

Thanks for the help everybody. All new to me. Desperately want to be comfortable and don’t mind spending money on it, but also need to have weight in mind and don’t want to needlessly spend money if I’m overlapping too much. I’ve hunted down to single digits in some sporty wind. Deer hunting. Layered up, sitting there, dry, and creature comfort’s after. I’ve camped into the teens hunting, but again…. Dry. In terms of water I’ve never dealt with much more than 12” of muck or crossing shallow streams.

Last edited:
On my trip this year i am not bringing rain pants. If its forecasted for rain i will just wear my wading pants and boots. Make sure you buy nice wading boots that have good ankle support any of the simms are really nice, go to a fly shop or sporting goods store and they should have neoprene booties there you can put on to see how all the wading boots actually feel. I have surveyed in my wader pants and wading boots for 12 hours a day and havent had an issue getting to hot unless its in the 70's. Your foot shouldnt be sliding around in the wader boot, it should fit pretty close to a regular hiking boot. If you are worried about wearing out the neoprene bootie in one hunt (which i highly doubt would happen) go stand in the water before leaving camp (assuming you will be camping right by the lake. The wading boots will stay wet for a while. For our hunt this year i will be bringing my wading boots/pants and my lowas if we decided to get into some highland stuff. I dont think you would want to deal with bringing 3 different sets of boots on a hunt, seems a little overkill to me. Also yes you want to wear some nice socks inside your wading pants. I normally have a pair of mid weight and light weight smart wools. generally bring 2 of each so i can dry them out if my feet sweat.

OP
P
Simms vapor boot sounds like a good product for what I’m after.

looks like vapor may be discontinued. Replaced by the “Flyweight” perhaps?

So, waders wade boots for wet weather. Check!

If it’s dry and I’m only bringing wader boots, wouldn’t a pair of Chotas (or something similar) be nice. I’ll need some kind of neoprene sock to wear with wader boot. The chotas would fit that Bill, and then if we needed to cross deep muck or stream, in could roll them up into hip wader mode. Wear them, dry weather pant and wading boots. Decent idea? OR…. For a dry day just bring go-to hiking boot and be done with it. Wish I had a better idea of environment we’ll be dropped in. We landing with floats, do I know there’s gonna be water. Just not sure where we’ll set camp and what type terrain well glass and call from, or where a moose might fall.

Last edited:

Voyageur

WKR
I lived in my waders last year. To get in and out of plane was belly deep. Then in and out of raft exploring our lakes and creek area we would go knee to waist deep. There were days I absolutely didn’t need them, but I was never uncomfortable in my simms. This year I’ll bring the simms and some Chota’s so I’ll have some knee highs w/neoprene footies to wear in my wader boots for those “drier”, not completely dry days.
@twincedar I'm pretty sure you've mentioned this in other posts, but I forget where. Did you use chest waders or wading pants? Also, which models Simms did you use, both the boots and the waders?
Thanks much.

do they know where they are going to put you? if they already have a deposit and what not you think they could give you some coordinates to check the area out on google earth to get a good idea of where you will be at. maybe thats not something they do but i would be doing everything i could to get that info so i could escout the area before getting there.

ask them if you can get away with wading pants when off loading the plane. that way you can be in water about mid thigh and be fine, when you sit on the ground you wont get wet and they are much cooler then waders. I rock frogg togg pilot series wading pants and they have been great hunting fishing and land surveying.

OP
P
do they know where they are going to put you? if they already have a deposit and what not you think they could give you some coordinates to check the area out on google earth to get a good idea of where you will be at. maybe thats not something they do but i would be doing everything i could to get that info so i could escout the area before getting there.

ask them if you can get away with wading pants when off loading the plane. that way you can be in water about mid thigh and be fine, when you sit on the ground you wont get wet and they are much cooler then waders. I rock frogg togg pilot series wading pants and they have been great hunting fishing and land surveying.
I know what unit and have a general idea of type of terrain. It’s 2022. I don’t think he has an idea of about where just yet, and I wouldn’t really expect or want him to. After all if hunting and game is slim, let’s adapt. I’d rather go in blind to an area with game than learn ever crease of an desert from a computer. That being said, I’d sure like some coordinates of a few possible spots this time next year. Be nice to start studying and get likely maps loaded.

I like your idea on the wading pants.

Holy cow. I’ve been over thinking this quite a bit. Looked you average L/H for this part of state for first half of Sept and it said like 40-55. Minus some quality rain gear and waders, I’m pretty much all set. Granted that’s an average, but pilot said you can reasonably expect 35-65. And of course raining and 40 can be miserable and dangerous. I just thought those numbers all be 12-15 degrees cooler.

Prospect of waders as all day bottoms for water / rain protection just lost some appeal.

Last edited: