waders

JakeB2010

FNG
What’s everyone’s preferred boot when using a stocking foot water?

Friends and myself have been running korker BOA boots for years and they seem to hold up great. Plus they have interchangeable treads where you can swap from vibram to felt bottoms in less than a couple minutes.

I decided to go with Simms this round, but couldn’t stomach the G3 price between the facts that I needed a custom made pair which are more $, as well as I expect these will dry rot before they “wear out” sadly.

I went with their Headwaters Pro, basically a slightly lighter built version of the G3’s, still made in Montana. It looks like those have been discontinued but the Guide classic are similar.

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
I decided to go with Simms this round, but couldn’t stomach the G3 price between the facts that I needed a custom made pair which are more $, as well as I expect these will dry rot before they “wear out” sadly.

I went with their Headwaters Pro, basically a slightly lighter built version of the G3’s, still made in Montana. It looks like those have been discontinued but the Guide classic are similar.
Do you think there is a big difference in durability compared to the g3?

Nitsua

FNG
What’s everyone’s preferred boot when using a stocking foot wader?
I would recommend korkers. The felt soles on the Simms are sewn on and mine were completely worn out after <1.5 years. The korkers soles are replaceable. I have also had a poor experience with the Simms boa system. I have replaced them 5 or 6 times. I would recommend laced boots. I do fish more than most though.

ohoopee

WKR
My go to waders are the Patagonia Middlefork packable's. I seem to usually be hiking
away from people and they breathe well and roll down to pants very simply. Caveat, I usually
am fishing in water above 55 degrees or wearing wool. I probably have 40 or 50 outings in them
and they have held up well. I have some G3, Redingtons and Freestones. All have held up but dont
get the usage of the Patagonia. Simm's would be my first choice If I had to just pick one.

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve used my Simms G3 guides for a while and G3 boots. Great combo for sure. Made right down the road from my house. Totally worth the investment. The zip front G4’s are pretty slick

Do you think there is a big difference in durability compared to the g3?
I don’t know not having owned G3’s. My understanding is they are basically the same other than the G3’s having an extra layer in the seat.

Here’s a steal of a deal if it happens to be anyone’s size. They were $450 normally.

Mikido

WKR
Don’t be finicky. Buy breathable from any of the top brands ($200-350 new, there are a lot of sites selling them with huge discounts). Buy a couple of tubes of aqua seal and you’re set for years. If you want to be fancy, buy the dwr wash and treatment off Amazon and do that once a
Year.

Vandy321

WKR
Simms G3 and Flyweight boot. Good for sub freezing up through 70 deg and a mile or so hike into some canyons.

Not sure if its been said before, but now is the time to find last year's models at significant deals. Check eBay, lots of reputable fly shops will put their 2020 leftovers online.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I use Simms G3 waders and Flyweight boots. I love the Flyweights. They have been plenty durable for me but really like that they feel like hiking boots vs clunky wading boots. In the summer I run my Flyweights with neoprene wet wading socks.

MNhunter

FNG
I recently replaced my two wadder set up, with G3s and I’m never going back. I had cheaper neoprene for hunting and cheaper fly fishing waders. I think I actually had a thread on here if you search. Bought the G3s in the supposed trout camo, but it’s great for things that actually require camo like ducks. They are awesome waders. Buy the g3s, I found a deal on them

I recently replaced my two wadder set up, with G3s and I’m never going back. I had cheaper neoprene for hunting and cheaper fly fishing waders. I think I actually had a thread on here if you search. Bought the G3s in the supposed trout camo, but it’s great for things that actually require camo like ducks. They are awesome waders. Buy the g3s, I found a deal on them online.
Could you share were you found a deal on them as these are exactly what I've been looking for. If you don't want to share publicly you can PM me. Thanks in advance.

mwebs

WKR
Could you share were you found a deal on them as these are exactly what I've been looking for. If you don't want to share publicly you can PM me. Thanks in advance.

I was searching through google on the shopping tab and a fly shop in Wyoming had them 40% off I believe. But that was 2 years ago now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I got some from the plate river fly shop for like 50% off, that was a year ago though when all this covid bullshit was just starting to go down.

I've had a pair of G3s for about 7 years now with no issues. Definitely worth the cost of admission, as the last few pairs I had before that would last 1-2 years top and leak.

Well they don't accentuate my manly figure and aren't light as a feather, but my USiA waders stood up to a week of moose hunting in Alaska. I may not have killed a moose, but I didn't get wet when crossing bogs and swamps while chasing them around and it didn't matter what kind of brush I was pushing through. I swear these things are nearly bullet proof and they are made in the USA.