waders

Voyageur

WKR
Simms G4Z and Korkers boots

USIA if you need something even more indestructible.
How can a person get some good info on the USiA waders. I went to their website and couldn't really find anything.
Thanks.

Scorpion

WKR
They used to be pretty active on Facebook, but a Google search is probably best. Lots of discussions on various forums over the years.

Scorpion

WKR
Just looked at their website, looks like they are doing an update to it. Probably why all the info is missing.

I’m trying to decide on waders as well, but stuck between the Headwaters Pro for $300 or splurging on the G3 for $510. The Headwaters Pro is probably more than enough wader for something I’ll likely only use during shoulder seasons (I like to wet wade in water shoes when it gets hot out here), but if I’m already in for $300 does it make sense to spend the extra money to get something that will hopefully be “buy once cry once”? $300 is well into “cry once” territory though :LOL:

Looks like the Headwaters Pro is 3 layers all around vs the G3 which is 4 layer lower/seat and 3 layer upper. Both made in USA.

I just got the freestone boots but wearing them around the house they are just too big. Going to try the Flyweights tomorrow to compare.

Voyageur

WKR
I’m trying to decide on waders as well, but stuck between the Headwaters Pro for $300 or splurging on the G3 for $510. The Headwaters Pro is probably more than enough wader for something I’ll likely only use during shoulder seasons (I like to wet wade in water shoes when it gets hot out here), but if I’m already in for $300 does it make sense to spend the extra money to get something that will hopefully be “buy once cry once”? $300 is well into “cry once” territory though :LOL:

Looks like the Headwaters Pro is 3 layers all around vs the G3 which is 4 layer lower/seat and 3 layer upper. Both made in USA.

I just got the freestone boots but wearing them around the house they are just too big. Going to try the Flyweights tomorrow to compare.
Good points and questions. I'm considering the Simms Guide Classic vs the Simms G3. Right now I'm leaning towards the Guide Classic because to my untrained eye they seem similar in quality while costing less.
My use would be for a month or so in the fall hunting caribou and moose along with some limited fishing in the summer, most likely a week or two at most.

Good points and questions. I'm considering the Simms Guide Classic vs the Simms G3. Right now I'm leaning towards the Guide Classic because to my untrained eye they seem similar in quality while costing less.
My use would be for a month or so in the fall hunting caribou and moose along with some limited fishing in the summer, most likely a week or two at most.
after typing it out and thinking it over last night, I think the Headwaters Pro is the right choice. I won't be living in them all season and as much as I would like to fish a few days a week it just isn't going to happen. That $200 can buy a lot of flies.

remnar

FNG
I like the G3s . I spend alot of time in waders and im hard on them . In and out of boats on big water , tons of hiking miles in brush on small water .

Pin holes will happen in brush . Buy some aqua seal . Dont forget about the care for the bootys ! Afterall they are just a sock and will eventually wear through . So keep your boots fitting right to prevent hotspots .

after typing it out and thinking it over last night, I think the Headwaters Pro is the right choice. I won't be living in them all season and as much as I would like to fish a few days a week it just isn't going to happen. That $200 can buy a lot of flies.
Well they came in today but something just doesn’t feel right. I’m 6’ 175 with a size 10 foot and a 32” inseam, so pretty much square in the middle of the medium size. I feel like I’m sagging them otherwise the crotch is up to my belly button :eek:

Look at the picture online vs mine up as high as I was willing to go, I’m losing 3-4 inches of coverage up top and the legs are much baggier. Has anyone tried the short sizes? Simms makes a medium short but it’s probably something I have to order, local shop didn’t have any shorts to try when I was looking at the G3’s. Seems silly to need a short at 6’...

Attachments

• 6067D548-DE37-4E70-97F8-2A20E5E45222.png
    6067D548-DE37-4E70-97F8-2A20E5E45222.png
    216.3 KB · Views: 12
  • A177A24E-F54A-43BE-AFB0-F862725F1ADD.jpeg
    A177A24E-F54A-43BE-AFB0-F862725F1ADD.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 12
Well they came in today but something just doesn’t feel right. I’m 6’ 175 with a size 10 foot and a 32” inseam, so pretty much square in the middle of the medium size. I feel like I’m sagging them otherwise the crotch is up to my belly button :eek:

Look at the picture online vs mine up as high as I was willing to go, I’m losing 3-4 inches of coverage up top and the legs are much baggier. Has anyone tried the short sizes? Simms makes a medium short but it’s probably something I have to order, local shop didn’t have any shorts to try when I was looking at the G3’s. Seems silly to need a short at 6’...

Interesting. I am 5’6” with a 30” inseam. Looks like they would land similar on me as the model. Looking at your photo you need less leg and more torso in the wader. So a short I think would not increase the torso, but would solve the leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be hesitant to go with the shorts. You want the legs baggy. There is no stretch with breathable waders. So if they're not baggy in the legs you'll get bound up trying to step over logs and such while hiking in. Looser is better to me.

The height looks right to me as well. It's about how all my waders have fit. I've owned White Rivers, Patagonia, LL Beans and Sitka.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t wade up to your armpits. Rarely up to your waist. I’d say if you want them higher get a med tall, not short. I’m 6-0 200 lbs and large fits me perfectly. Maybe the med is shorter. Agree on the baggy aspect, they will shrink around you in the water, but loose makes walking much easier.

Voyageur

WKR
I don't own a pair of breathable waders, so take this for what it's worth, but to me the fit of your wader looks very similar to the fit of the model's wader in the picture.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They look fine, if the crotch is too high you wont be able to sit down without getting a gnarly camel toe.

We supply our guests with the freestones. They hold up pretty good but are subject to the problems that occur when you have nice stuff and let people borrow it. All our significant others are set up with the Freestones as well. Typically the wife is there a week or 10 days a month so she fishes 30 or 40 days a summer. Figure they’ll last 3 or four years for sure. The only leaks she has are from hook sticks.
I wear as do most of our guides the G4z. Great wader. My last pair of G3s is going on it’s sixth season, 120+ days per year. They have been patched but they still work well enough. I tend to wear them when it’s really crappy and cold, wading and working; setting the dock, fixing a motor still on a boat, or on Flyouts that require working through big nasty alder patches. Any time I think I’m going to be abusing them.
Take care of them, don’t treat them like bird hunting chaps and they’ll last quite a while.

Hell I‘m only 5’09” and wear the medium regular. No way you go to a short. Most of my guests over 5’11’’ get to wear ‘longs”. You might put a tape measure on them and see what the inseam measures. As noted you don’t want them fitting snug or you’ll have trouble getting in and out of boats, stepping over obstructions etc.

Hell I‘m only 5’09” and wear the medium regular. No way you go to a short. Most of my guests over 5’11’’ get to wear ‘longs”. You might put a tape measure on them and see what the inseam measures. As noted you don’t want them fitting snug or you’ll have trouble getting in and out of boats, stepping over obstructions etc.
I was in the fly shop today and they had a medium king short which fit perfect! No moose knuckle with a little extra width for movement. Problem is that size is only available in the G3 at $250 more than what I paid for the Headwaters Pro...

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425