Wading boots

Wapiti1

WKR
After a few searches on here, I haven't found much on which boots to pair with my waders. Plenty of opinions on the waders, but not much on the boots. Here, I use light hikers because they perform well in the mud I deal with steelheading on the lake. They have held up very well, but are hardly stiff enough to handle packing heavy loads.

So, what do you pair with waders that work for hiking, and hauling moose? I'm concerned with the lack of a heel and shallow tread I'm seeing on most dedicated wading boots.

This is prep for an Alaska moose hunt this fall where we will be on a river, and the need to cross immediately is likely. Pant waders seem like the best option and I have those already covered.

Thanks,

Jeremy

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use a pair of simms for float hunting, Not the high end ones, maybe they are called firestones or something, they work well enough and pair well with my g3 waders.

When Im running and gunning with the jet boat I use some cheap caddis waders and a pair of xtratuffs that Ive cut down to use as wading boots

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
I'm probably overthinking this. My concern is the lack of a heel to dig in on a downhill on wet terrain with random moose parts helping down the hill. Any boot would work for the hiking part, it's the packing part I'm thinking about. I'm an optimist and want a good boot to pack out my first 70" bull.

The Simms Freestone looks decent. I like the G3 boot stiffness, but not the sole. Orvis has a couple of options that I like better. Think I'll give those a try.

Jeremy

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm probably overthinking this. My concern is the lack of a heel to dig in on a downhill on wet terrain with random moose parts helping down the hill. Any boot would work for the hiking part, it's the packing part I'm thinking about. I'm an optimist and want a good boot to pack out my first 70" bull.

The Simms Freestone looks decent. I like the G3 boot stiffness, but not the sole. Orvis has a couple of options that I like better. Think I'll give those a try.

Jeremy

all the steep stuff I’ve packed moose off has also been pretty soft and grippy (tundra), I’ve never packed one out of anywhere that I needed a read edge on the boot but that’s just me. My buddy uses the orvis light weight boots and loves them. All that being said, I’m still looking forward to my first monster bull, I’ve gotten several bulls but never sealed the deal on a true monster.

SteveOtt

FNG
I’ve got a season on some Simms flyweights and love them. Light weight, good support, vibram sole is grippy, comfortable. 10+ Mile days, no complaints.

Can’t speak for especially heavy loads but I wouldn’t hesitate to use them for what you’re talking about.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
Thinhorn and Steve, Thanks for the comments. I get what you are saying about the tundra. I was thinking since we will be on and around a river there might be more cuts and eroded banks to deal with. Maybe not.

I looked at the Simms flyweight and Orvis ultralight, but need to get my hands on them. Heading to a fly shop this weekend to look at them, and probably hit Cabelas to see what they carry.

If I get them now, I still have some winter steelheading left to break them in on.

Jeremy

I was in a similar situation as you last year for my float hunt. I wanted some boots that had more ankle support than just 1 or 2 lace hooks. I ended up going with cabelas bone sneaker boots. I don’t think they make them anymore but not 100% sure. They have vibram soles and are extremely light. They have as much ankle support as my schemes beartooth’s. I loved them so much that they are strictly for float hunts for now on so I can keep them from wearing out.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
I had the original Korkers. The soles would fall off occasionally which was a little less than ideal. The newer ones are much improved, but I don't have first hand experience with them.

I ended up with a pair of Simms Headwater boots (last years non-BOA) that a local shop had as a closeout model. Similar to the G3 boot, with a stiff sole and decent looking traction. Should do the trick. Now I need some warmer weather to get the steelhead moving. And lower water. The streams are pretty blown out.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jeremy

After a few searches on here, I haven't found much on which boots to pair with my waders. Plenty of opinions on the waders, but not much on the boots. Here, I use light hikers because they perform well in the mud I deal with steelheading on the lake. They have held up very well, but are hardly stiff enough to handle packing heavy loads.

So, what do you pair with waders that work for hiking, and hauling moose? I'm concerned with the lack of a heel and shallow tread I'm seeing on most dedicated wading boots.

This is prep for an Alaska moose hunt this fall where we will be on a river, and the need to cross immediately is likely. Pant waders seem like the best option and I have those already covered.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Following