Waiting on hunting partners....

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
PS: a guy that is unreliable this year won't be reliable next year. I got burned by my big brother twice on another dream of towing our boat over and fishing the Everglades. He bailed the week of the trip once, then about 10 days before departure the second time. We were very close and he certainly had the means. He just didn't yearn for the adventure like I did and got freaked out by the unknowns.

Point being, don't upsell a guy. Keep searching until you find someone that wants it like you do and can afford it. Being able to afford it without whining is a good benchmark, and easily evidenced by the deposit check as others have mentioned.

hobbes

WKR
I would be a little concerned about getting someone to "agree" to go on a hunt in Alaska. No personal experience with Alaska, but I had a couple buddies that agreed to do elk hunts traveling from the Midwest to Colorado about 20 years ago (before I moved West). I did not enjoy my time with them. I may have buried them in Alaska and just told everyone that they were eaten by bears. They'd probably say the same about me.

Just to add more meat to the bone of this thread....

I advise being wary of people who seem to be either very outspoken, or extraordinarily quiet. Those traits when carried into a hunt can create communication issues. Some guys want to express their politics and/or religion very strongly and that can be tough to negotiate if views don't agree. Nothing more tiring than someone frequently pushing their ideologies with an attitude. That stuff needs to get left somewhere behind at 28,000 feet. Marital issues WILL screw up a hunt very dependably....seen it happen.

And be extremely wary of the guy who expects a lot out of people and is a little quick to criticize or spot what's wrong with things. This guy may become a chronic complainer and you're his only sounding board.