Walk Behind Seed Drill?

Voyageur

WKR
I'm a fan of broadcast seeding, but as my habitat has improved so have pheasant numbers to the point where they almost obliterate any seed I broadcast. My food plots are small, maybe 1/10th of an acre in size. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a walk behind planter...something that would drill the seed into the ground and give it a chance to germinate before the pheasants devour it?
Thanks.

Tod osier

WKR
I'm a fan of broadcast seeding, but as my habitat has improved so have pheasant numbers to the point where they almost obliterate any seed I broadcast. My food plots are small, maybe 1/10th of an acre in size. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a walk behind planter...something that would drill the seed into the ground and give it a chance to germinate before the pheasants devour it?
Thanks.

Absolutely there are, search: walk behind seed drill. The only useful information I have is that I've heard from those who have them to try to plant large gardens or smaller commercial operations is that they can be finicky, so do some research on the particular unit. Price and size varies quite a bit in my quick look.

There are seed treatments to discourage pheasants. I have no idea if then work. Real helpful, I know.

Whisky

WKR
Earthway 1 row garden planter. It comes with a number of different plates, and is very easy to set depth and row spacing.
I've used this to plant corn and beets. And lent it out to a guy to plant some beans in a show plot.
I'm not sure what you're looking to plant, but I'd make sure there is a plate size that works for you, before purchasing.

Some co-ops and extension offices have them you can rent. The Colorado State University Agricultural Extension Office has them by me. KSU has them in Kansas. Might be too big of a machine but you never know.

Not sure what effort you put into your food plots, but check out the Jang JP-1.. I use it for my garden and my friends commercial CSA garden. Basically it has a bunch of wheels that you match to the seeds you're planting. It has a hopper you fill up with seed and you push it through your freshly tilled soil and it opens and burys the seed.. Very linear and predictable planting, I use it for beets, carrots, turnips, radishes, basil, etc.. Just about anything that can be direct seeded.

Its not cheap though.. You're looking at ~$600

pjh360

FNG
Do you use a cultipacker? That might help set your seed a little and make it less visible. Have you considered no-till options?

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks much for the replies. I've got some good options to check out now. Greatly appreciated.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Ended up ordering the Earthway 1001-B
US made
Comes with 7 seed plates
Same brand as my shoulder carry broadcast seeder

Again, thanks.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
If you work the ground you can always broadcast and use a drag to incorporate the seeds. I would probably be a little quicker.