Walking it back, 20 to 40 yards

So I set up the video cam to help with my self-analysis. I shot one each at 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40 yards. Working on the subconscious skill.

I ran through the course about a dozen times. Filmed the first couple. Kind of messy, but it is what it is, practice, building that memory.

Anyways, here's a short vid.

OP
M
I was a little disappointed with the consistency I was getting shooting those 500/600 spine arrows with the 145gr points, out of the 35# bow, in the vid above.

I had been shooting that combo over the winter, in the garage. Max distance was 14 yards. They seemed reasonably good in that situation. Moving outside and extending the distance didn't look so good.

Anyhoo, yesterday evening I moved up to a 400 spine, with 175gr point, and did some shooting from 15 out to 30 yards with it. I have to say, it seemed to fly better with the heavier arrow.

Sometimes I feel 'on my game', sometimes not so much. Regardless, going forward, I'm going to roll with the heavier arrows in this 35# bow and see how it does over some time..

I'll record some vid too. I like the video to critique my own shooting and form. The camera is another set of eyes, so to speak. So I'll probably share more of it here, good, bad, and ugly. Just keeping it real.

A.Hutch

FNG
What's your draw length? Is that weight actual @ your draw or what's marked on the bow?

Hutch

OP
M
My draw length has to be around 32".

This arrow is 32.5" from nock valley, to insert.

bzwfEgT.jpg

A.Hutch

FNG
Ya! i figured you have super long draw. Now mind you, I am NO coach. But, I'll throw this out there. It is a bit difficult to tell what's going on from the camera angles and distances from the camera. But TO ME, it doesn't look like your getting into your back as much as needed. Possibly something going on with your grip at release. If you haven't already I would strongly recommend Tom Clums' Solid Archery Mechanics. If finances are an issue, check out Arne Moe on you tube, hell, shoot Arne a mssg on facebook. Also, If your working on one aspect of form,IMO, don't shoot for groups. The target is only there as something to keep from losing arrows. Focus ALL your attention on one part of your shot. then move on to the next. Even with not shooting for groups, you will begin to see those groups getting smaller, It may take awhile, but they will.

And also, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!

Hutch

OP
M
I'm not always as messy as it looks in that vid. Out of integrity I was willing to share it anyways.

Here's some of my winter practice. Same bow, same arrows, but only 14 yards and indoors.
5NGZ0PI.jpg

OP
M
If I feel ready, and fortune favors my will, I'll get some meat down this season. I won't take a poke at a deer past 15-20 yards. Preferably 10-15 yards.

The 20-40 yard stuff is for fun, maybe 3D someday.

Beendare

WKR
I didn't watch the vid....but I shoot out to 80yds with my bow on field rounds.

Granted, I'm terrible at 60,70,80 yds....but if I ever have to make a long followup shot....there is a chance.

I focus on shooting 35 and in...but shoot pretty decent at 40 as its my point on distance.

_______

jcarrera

FNG
I've put the trad bow on ice. unlike you, I started with way too much weight. I have a 30.5" DL and can pull my compounds at 70-73# all day no problem. So naturally, when the bug bit, I acquired a Samick Sage that comes in at 54# at 29" and it goes up from there.

I am not a tall guy at just under 6', always counted myself lucky for the chimp arms but man o' man did it mess me up not being able to anchor on the samick like I would a compound. Somedays I would be somewhat consistent all the way out to 40, other days I could not hit the target to save my life. Being used to hitting targets out to 100yd with the wheels sure made for a frustrating time with the recurve.

Long story short and after some possible injuries, I decided to use the best feature of my take down bow and I did just that. If I someday get that wild hair up there again. I think I am going to listen this time and get me a 35# @28" and work my way from there.....