Wall tent. 12x15 vs 14x15 Fly or not?

truehaun

FNG
I’m usually solo or with one other person, rarely 3 people total and very very rarely maybe 4. Looking hard at the Davis antelope package 12x15. Or would you spend the extra $200 or so to get a 14x15. Would I be better saving that $200 to put toward a cook shack down the road or get the vinyl fly for $300 from Davis? Also planning on upgrading to windows on both sides and the largest stove they sell.

LaHunter

WKR
I have a Davis 12X14 with the internal conduit frame. Mine has windows on both side walls and a window on the back wall. This helps with ventilation a lot when its warm. 2 people would be the max for me in this size tent, assuming you are using cots and have a table for food inside, along with the stove.
I have the lighter poly rain fly which i would recommend. I had a vinyl fly previously, and it is really heavy. The poly fly will do everything that you need. My fly extends out to form an awning / porch area, which is nice but not necessary.
I wouldn't get the largest stove available due to size vs tent space, but maybe the 2nd largest. This will provide more nighttime burn time.
Call the guys at Davis and they will walk you through the options. They are awesome to deal with and they will advise you in the right direction, based on your needs.

ncstewart

WKR
I got the 14x15 and it’s perfect for 2-3 with stove. We have slept 4 with stove but start getting crowded. Also I run a fly and have no complaints and never got wet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have two 14x16's and I rarely ever use a rain fly......sometimes I'll use a much cheaper heavy tarp if snow is expected. I do like the vinyl awning though, and I always prefer a larger tent to smaller if I have a choice.

MHWASH

WKR
We have a 12x14. Works great for 2, 3 is ok. I have slept the family of 4 for the weekend before and it works. I also have the poly fly and porch area. This year, now that I'm by myself and have a enclosed trailer, I will not be putting up the porch. I'll do all my cooking, mostly reheating vacuum sealed meals in boiling water, in the trailer. Adding the porch just takes too much additional time setting up and taking down when trying to do it allIMG_1304.jpg myself.