Wall Tent For 1? On the Cheap Side

Alright Rokslide Collective, don't do me wrong here. I am looking for a wall tent type structure to use truck camping during my trip to South Dakota for pheasant this fall. I'd like something large enough for a cot and gear for just me and the dog. Doesn't have to be huge or the most high end model. Just a nice place to come back to after a good days walk.

Best guesses are is that it will see use once a year so I'm not really interested in spending a whole lot of money on it.

Guide me, oh great and knowledgeable ones.

muddydogs

WKR
Kodiak Canvas all the way for the win. For the price you get everything you need to set it up, easy to set up for one person. Install a stove jack or use a buddy heater to take the chill off. I will say that if you can swing the extra cash get the 10x14, 10x10 is great but a little tight for 2 guys with there gear especially if you both like the nice wide cots.

isu22andy

WKR
Walmart sells a Ozzark Trail branded Wall tent thats very affordable and a few videos on youtube it doesnt look bad

OP
M
Thanks fellas! I knew I could count on you.

Mr. Tyler, I have no doubt that your tent is a jam up product and would serve me very well, it is just a little too far out of my price range. If I could get more use out of it than just the once a year, I would be all over it.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks fellas! I knew I could count on you.

Mr. Tyler, I have no doubt that your tent is a jam up product and would serve me very well, it is just a little too far out of my price range. If I could get more use out of it than just the once a year, I would be all over it.
I understand! Best of luck in your quest!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Army surplus used to carry basic little 8x10s with 3 foot walls no frills or zippers for around $350 bucks used one for many years until upgrading to a Montana canvas

elkduds

WKR
Army surplus used to carry basic little 8x10s with 3 foot walls no frills or zippers for around $350 bucks used one for many years until upgrading to a Montana canvas
I got one of these @ a yard sale for a song. I took it to a canvas shop, they added 2' to the bottom of all walls and doors. Perfect for 2 guys, cots. Used it for years, then a guy bought it for a cooking tent. Not as nice or as easy to pitch as my Kodiak 10x10, which seems like the last canvas tent I will ever need.

sasquatch

WKR
Kodiak canvas 9x8. I have it and the 10x14, of going solo I’m taking the 9x8. It’s exactly half the same ft of the bigger one which I use for 2 ppl. Also easier to pack and setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parshal

WKR
I use a Redcliff or 16-man tipi for bird hunting depending on where I'm going and for how long. When we go to Nevada we use a Kodiak canvas with a buddy heater. If I were in SD a month after the opener I'd have a wood stove.

I have one of the Guide Gear tipis, very roomy and seems like it should last for years if taken care of. Couldn't beat it for $200.

there's "someone" selling "cowboy bedrolls" on ebay for reasonable and the ad says "custom sewn to order" for like $140 or close to that - I bought one several years back and have used the HECK out of it in all sorts of conditions, it has really held up and satisfied my needs completely, I use it for my "traveling bed" all the time -
IF an actual tent is your preference there's an old school type called a "Baker's Tent" that I happened to have hunted out of north of Smithers BC some years back, we had all sorts of nasty weather on that trip (outfitted roving style moose/caribou hunt) and it was light, simple and effective - I'd be sure some tent manufacturers make that style but possible called something else by name ?

WyoKid

WKR
I love canvas but with age and less than 5'4", I decided to sell my canvas and got a Cabela's Instinct outfitter. It can take a stove if it gets cold. Perfect for 1-2 but tight with 3. Best part is I can get it up on my own.

Another vote for kodiak canvas , I have a small 10x10 works excellent for 1 or 2 people , use a good sleeping bag at night and fire up the buddy heater in the morning , heats up real fast. Great tent