Wall Tent for 4

Hey guys,

Brand new to the forum. I’ve received a lot of good info from reading previous posts. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on a wall tent (brand name) that would be suitable for 4 guys and gear. I’ve seen Montana Canvas makes a good tent just don’t know what size to get. Thanks for the help!

bruno59

WKR
I have a 12x14 montana canvas tent it's a great tent 4 guys with cots and gear and stove would be tight no stove it might be doable i would go larger to have some extra room

LaHunter

WKR
Check out Davis Wall Tents. They are located in the Denver area. They make high quality tents and are good guys to deal with. For 4 guys with cots, wood burning stove, food, gear, etc. I would recommend a 12X20 or a 14X20, or something in that size range. Also, I prefer using an internal frame made from 1" emt conduit tubing.

OP
RidgeRunner21
Thanks! I’ve seen Davis tents before on my searches. Does anyone have any dealings with Elk Mountain??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I would look into the 12x14 or 14x16 size. We often recommend chalking or staking these sizes our your driveway or lawn to get an actual feel for what the space is like -- what may be comfortable for some may not work for others.

Best of luck in your quest and feel free to reach out with any questions you may have!

Hey guys,

Brand new to the forum. I’ve received a lot of good info from reading previous posts. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on a wall tent (brand name) that would be suitable for 4 guys and gear. I’ve seen Montana Canvas makes a good tent just don’t know what size to get. Thanks for the help!

I ended up buying a Davis 12x14 and I wouldn't hesitate to use that size for 4 guys - the size, though, is gonna come down to how you(and your party) use camp. Obviously, if you're setting up a big kitchen, card tables, etc. 12x14 is too small. Camp for me is an end of the day thing, I don't have a massive kitchen and usually do most of the cooking outside so the smaller tent works great. Saves space, saves money, and saves time on the set up and tear down.

OP
RidgeRunner21
We would be looking at cots and a wood stove for when the temps start dropping. Looking at a tent with an awning to cook under when the weather is less than ideal

OP
RidgeRunner21
I agree with you. I would like to keep the footprint as small as possible. That being said the little comforts like being able to cook inside when the weather turns sour is nice a feature as well

TheViking

WKR
I have a like new (used once) 16x20 Davis wall tent for sale. I haven’t listed it anywhere, but thought I’d offer it up.

With 4 guys and gear, 16x20 is great. I’ve done 4 in a 14x16 and it’s doable, but you’re on top of each other.

With winter weather brings extra clothes and also wet clothes! A bigger tent will allow you to hang some wet, cold clothes up around the stove and have room to spread out.

Don’t skimp on a tent - quality, or size. I’ve been in some harsh conditions and been on both sides of the fence. Having a solid, warm, big tent is great to have! I froze my butt off too many times in my buddies old army tent - never again.

I live in the Denver area, let me know if you’re interested.

I bought it two years ago to accommodate more guys, but my hunting style has since changed.

Wall tent + internal frame (the good one) for sale.

Last edited:

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
We have a 14x16 that we picked up a few years ago from the Wall Tent Shop.

With 4 guys in weather below freezing at night, you will want the room that a 14x16 gives you. Cook on top of the stove and have room for a 5-6’ table without tripping on your buddy’s dirty underwear.

They are very good to work with and sell great stoves too.

Last edited:
OP
RidgeRunner21
Thanks again for all the help guys! You’ve really gave us some good direction!

CampCook

FNG
I have a Bravo Mfg Super Grade Wall tent out of Camas, WA. The tent is 15x18 and we added a 15x12 porch to the front of it. We have slept five people on cots in warm weather with a 6' table and chairs to eat at. With the stove set up we sleep four and still have the table to eat at. We set up the kitchen under the porch which has enough room for two 6' tables, a 3 burner stove and a Weber Q. Has plenty of room and have never felt crowded with the set up.

WKR
Lot of great input. And a lot of great American made canvas tents out there to be had. If budget is an issue, buy a used American made one. I live in CO so naturally for me Davis was the way to go. Loaded up elk camp one year and noticed the dang mice had chewed holes in mine. Stopped at Davis and got a little lucky that they were repairing tents that day. Got it sewed up with some patches and off I went. Great company.

As to size, had 3 with a mountain of gear in our 14x16 this year. Have done 4. Bought a great American made Cylinder brand stove for it and stayed warm down to 10 in it. It really made the hunt so much more enjoyable. Good luck on your decision.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some inside pics of a 14x16 Davis with a 4 Dog Stove in it. I'd recommend sketching it out to scale on piece of graph paper before you buy. I think if you do that with the cots and stove included you'll find that a 14x16 is about as small as you'll want to go for 4 guys.

yszJnBT.jpg

B10oJt0.jpg

6XE0Zlz.jpg

I am actually looking for a canvas tent myself. I have a few questions that I can't seem to come up with a good answer for by reading forums and researching though. Although I will be using it for hunting camp anywhere from 3-4 guys, it will also be for my family as we go camping only a couple times a year.
I have a 3 month old son now, my wife, and I, so my question is should I look at something with a full floor sewn in so that it keeps bugs and things out of the tent or are these fairly sealed enough that I shouldn't have to worry. I would hate to wake up and find ticks everywhere although not that it couldn't happen in a regular tent with a floor either.
I've been looking at a 14x16 tent to fit gear, cots, etc. Any thoughts on whether a sewn in floor is best or does it really matter? I like the idea of having a 3/4 floor as in my current tent I put down a tarp inside the door for wet/dirty gear when you walk in. Current tent is 10x14 and it just gets a little too crowded and I don't see a 12x14 being much better.

elkduds

WKR
Welcome to the forum, your handle is a mouthful. No to sewn-in floor. The tent/floor combo would be very heavy, bulky and hard to handle. Floors need replacing far more often than tents.