Wall tent for family camping?

Vandy321

WKR
Looking a bit forward to next spring/summer.

We've done the pop-up camper thing...not my wife's idea of fun and a pain with 2 dogs and kid.

Our buddies all have campers and I'd rather save that money for a fun razor/sxs for summer fun outdoors....bit we still need a camp.

Have seen many but never set up or traveled with a wall tent...is a smaller wall not practical for shorter 2-3 day weekend trips? Should I be looking more at just the oversized Coleman type tent? The wall would be nice to bring the family on a hunt next year as well and have them hang at base camp. I prefer to pack in, but I do think it'd be fun to have a few families at a base camp for a change.

I'm all set for scouting/hunting tents, sleep systems, etc. This tent would be strictly truck camping with the family and or on trips with other friends wirh larger campers.

We have 2 dogs and a young boy, if that helps steer suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited:
I personally use a Cabelas 8-person Alaskan Guide. It is plenty big enough for two adults, two kids, and two 60# dogs, and I know it will survive any thunderstorm Missouri can throw at it.

I was in between this option and a Kodiak 10x14 or 10x9 plus the enclosed awning.

Ultimately went with the Guide because it was half the price (on sale), packed down smaller, and I think the poly material is a bit lower maintenance especially when it comes to moisture.

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
We camped a few times this summer with our 14x16 Davis wall. We had 5 kids and two dogs and it was definitely tight, but do-able. Our tent has the 7’ awning which we used as a kitchen/storage area and while it was a bit cramped with all the kiddos, it was a lot more comfortable than pop up tent camping. We also have a 40’ 5th wheel which is obviously ideal for the whole family, but it’s being used by a buddy right now while his house is being built.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
With customers in similar situations in the past, we have recommended our Selkirk Spike Tents -- we offer these in a 10x10, 12x12, and 14x14 sizes. This tent comes standard with a 4' sidewall, sewn-in floor, frame, windows and optional bug netting on the front & back door. This tent is perfect for a quick setup / breakdown and doesn't require much space for transportation (approximately 36" long x 20" diameter when rolled up with the poles).

If you have any questions on these or any of our other products, give me a shout!

Tyler - Manager - Wall Tent Shop - 800 234 1150 - [email protected]

My first suggestion would be a Kodiak Canvas, but Tyler from the Wall Tent Shop made a great suggestion as well. I have one of these tipis. IT very large, easy to put up and does pretty well in the weather. I just spent 6 days with two other hunters at elk camp and we had zero complaints.

Wall tents are a good way to go. Once you set them up a few times, you get pretty proficient at it. They are also a lot of work . 99.8% of the time I use mine, I need to set it up back up when I get home. It could be 105 degrees for 2 months straight and the morning I'm headed home, it will rain for 5 minutes and soak everything.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
14x16 Davis wall tent.
Thanks all for all the suggestions folks, glad its not too much work to enjoy a couple day trip with the family. I want to start doing a late season hunt with some buddies after a nice warm archery season, a wall tent/stove, etc sounds like a good time...and justifiable if I can use it camping too.

This David elk camp package looks like a winner

Last edited:

CCooper

WKR
To me it's worth it to pop-up my 12x15 for a 3 day trip. I suggest doors front and back as mentioned above, as well as windows in the sides and an awning. The awnings in 5 or 10 foot are well worth the $ in my opinion. It allows me to keep my cooking outside and not get the tent nasty.

Wrench

WKR
I LOVED my alaknak because I could bring it home soaked and put a box fan in the door to blow it up like a bouncy house. It would be dry in no time. It takes the shape of whatever size limit the room is when inflated.

To me it's worth it to pop-up my 12x15 for a 3 day trip. I suggest doors front and back as mentioned above, as well as windows in the sides and an awning. The awnings in 5 or 10 foot are well worth the $ in my opinion. It allows me to keep my cooking outside and not get the tent nasty.
Completely agree. It takes almost as much time to set my 8x10 up as it does my 14x16. I can do both on my own. I go from unloading from the back of my truck to a fire roaring in the stove in about 45 minutes. About half that if I have help.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I made the same decision two years ago. 14x16 tent is great for family camping, will really be nice when the kids can pull a little more of their own weight. Our family of 5 fits nicely, especially with some Disco bed bunked cots. Plenty of room for a big table and chairs for when the weather isn't cooperating. Get good at hanging organization, otherwise you end up with the kids putting everything on the ground. As has been said, two screen doors is nice for getting some air through in the summer.

My wife and I can get it set up in less than an hour. Tear down takes a little longer, trying to get everything organized to fit back in the truck just right. Keep in mind, it's not just the tent, but all the other gear you end up bringing to be comfortable. Tables, chairs, cots, cooking equip, etc. When we stay at the family cabin, it takes nearly as long to pack up if you consider all the cleaning that we need to do after we're done. When we get home, I hang it up in the garage to air out for a couple days, and that seems to dry it.

IMG_20200714_144414241.jpgIMG_20200714_154422682_HDR.jpg

scooter25

FNG
If you are going to get a SXS get an enclosed trailer to haul it and use that to camp in. A 7.5'X16' work great to set cots up in. Once you get to your spot roll the SXS out and boom your tent is set up.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Bumping this one up...can I get some more inputs on setup times, solo, as when the wife/kid tag along, as most dads know, it's a full-time job to watch the kiddo and dogs.

Would you bring a wall for an overnight or only worth setup/teardown if you can get 2 nights out of it?

go_deep

WKR
Bumping this one up...can I get some more inputs on setup times, solo, as when the wife/kid tag along, as most dads know, it's a full-time job to watch the kiddo and dogs.

Would you bring a wall for an overnight or only worth setup/teardown if you can get 2 nights out of it?

Personally I'd say at least 2 night minimum.

Minimum of 2 nights for me. My solo setup time for my 14x16 with an internal frame is about 45 minutes. That is going from the back of the truck, to setup with a fire going in the stove. With my wife helping, it cuts it down to about 35 minutes.
I have a 13x13 Elk Mtn tent that takes a little longer. The frame on it is more intricate and slower to put together.