Wall tent for family camping?

sndmn11

WKR
20-60min depending on what you put in it. Overnight is fine if it isn't going to rain, otherwise a couple nights. I don't like the dry out time.

Go over to @Davis Tent and do some fiddling.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I've done single nights in my 14x16, setting up mostly solo. It's not too bad when the weather is right. Kids play, and I take my time setting things up. I'd guess that set up time was well over an hour, but I was enjoying myself, so it didn't matter all that much. Take down is a little more difficult to enjoy, at least for me. I have to force myself to enjoy the time, rather than getting in a hurry to leave. It's a bit of a catch 22, though. If the weather is nice enough to enjoy the time setting up/taking down, there really isn't a need for a big tent, since all fun can be had outside.

Even with our "normal" camp setup of a cheap tent, setting up for a family with kids takes forever. All the odds and ends that the kids "need", really add up.

I always compare set up/break down time of camping trips to our trips to my parents cabin, and realistically they aren't too far off. Breaking down a wall tent and all the gear inside takes time, but so does cleaning up a cabin before you leave. The big difference is when you arrive or leave in bad weather or late at night.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Just ordered the elk camp package and a extra awning for shade for the summer. Went extra windows, full floor (since awning allows wood/muddy boot storage outside).

$320 for the vinyl rain fly? How often are you Colorado folks putting g the fly up? Only in Nov or snow? Or year round just for a t-storm in the summer? Having trouble justifying why I wouldn't just order a 14x16 blue poly tarp for $30 instead, if needed?

Anybody using an air mattress in these for for camping? I'm fine on the ground or a cot, UT don't imagine the wife and a 2 year old will e joy a cot. Just throw a full sized air mattress in the corner? How about the metal fence they're sell to keep the dogs/kiddo from frying on the stove?

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say that a cot with a pad is far more comfortable than an air mattress, and the best part about having a wall tent is that you can get up off the ground. My wife didn't believe that until she gave it a try, and now she is a cot convert, too. Kids don't seem to have any preference.

sndmn11

WKR
$320 for the vinyl rain fly? How often are you Colorado folks putting g the fly up? Only in Nov or snow? Or year round just for a t-storm in the summer? Having trouble justifying why I wouldn't just order a 14x16 blue poly tarp for $30 instead, if needed?

You should never need a fly on that tent unless it will be set up for a continuous year, or 6+months year after year.

I sleep on a cot when I’m solo. My wife hates cots so we use an air mattress when she is with me. I’m sure you already know this but air mattresses condensate real bad in cooler temps. We always pull the sleeping bag off in the morning to let the moisture dry out. It’s surprising how much condensation you’ll get.

Seeknelk

WKR
I MUCH prefer a cot with the cot pad from Davis that is WIDER than the cot. This is critical for me.
It keeps the metal bars totally buried and off your arms.
I also have the Davis big boy cot but I don't use it anymore unless someones needs one. It takes as long to set it up as the tent as is almost as heavy.
I just don't like air mattresses at all tho. Some people like em.
To dry it out , I just drape it over stuff in my garage, maybe a couple step ladders ,etc. Dries out in day. I ain't setting it all up again that's for sure.
As far as tarps, I never used one yet in heavy snow or rain. No leaks. I would like to start using one if snow is predicted tho, for long stays. When ice builds up and freezes to the canvas it sorta sucks breaking camp.

Super tag

WKR
If your into UTV/SXS - I bought a nice 16’ enclosed trailer, hauls the machine, after unloading it converts into living quarters, full size cots with 6” foam pads, camp chef, sink in the front with water, when we’re done we just load up the machine and we are done, park it at the house and it’s ready to go next time. Its much more affordable, fully enclosed, has a window, side door, etc. Its not as fancy as a camp trailer, but it is really easy and convenient. We spend most of the time outside anyway, really just need a nice place to sleep. Once I figured it all out and set it up with the right gear I sold the camp trailer, I like the enclosed trailer much better. Total investment is around 15k with all the gear.

ShakeDown

WKR
Vandy, you and I share some commonalities friend.

BA15214B-65D8-425B-9C9A-505B5FF73F77.jpeg

64B268BB-3F88-4873-8B2F-097DE673099A.jpeg

Last year I went with the Kodiak Canvas Cabin Lodge Tent and Awning. Cabin goes up quick, 30min solo. The awning is kind of a bitch.

I do wish I would have went for the Davis - but for the price and features I’m not sure it can be beat.

BluMtn

WKR
I have looked at these TiPi's and thought they look interesting.

snowburns

FNG
I own a 10x12 without a metal frame. The canvas alone weighs over 40 lbs and the Colorado Cylinder Stove weighs nearly 80. Not having a frame requires you to use 12 - 14 trees or some kind of ridge pole with supports on the ends and stake it out to the nearby trees. It requires a lot of room and nothing about it is low impact. I've used it on everything from car camping trips to 5 day float trips (moving down river every day) and up to 10 day hunts where it's set up once and left up for the duration of the trip. Sleeping on a camping pad on the ground is still cold and you don't get a benefit from the stove unless you're off the ground and in a cot. Comfortably it's a 2 man tent, or 3 if you like to be in each other's way. A fully stoked stove burns 3 - 4 hours so expect to be up more than once in the night to keep it warm.

All of that to say you can get soaked head to toe and hang your gear up inside, start the fire, and it'll all be warm and dry by the morning. The nostalgia/novelty factor is also a plus but I don't bring it out for a trip that's less than 2 nights or with my wife and kids. I've found a typical setup time after land clearing, locating trees to harvest and getting the tent up is 2 hours or faster with a chainsaw. Again, not low impact and nothing about it is easy. I've reached the point where either I'm buying a metal frame this year, or selling the whole thing. And I'm closer to selling.

Attachments

• IMG_2362.jpeg
    IMG_2362.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1888989_818552088533_6964154823189729588_o.jpeg
    1888989_818552088533_6964154823189729588_o.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I own a 10x12 without a metal frame. The canvas alone weighs over 40 lbs and the Colorado Cylinder Stove weighs nearly 80. Not having a frame requires you to use 12 - 14 trees or some kind of ridge pole with supports on the ends and stake it out to the nearby trees. It requires a lot of room and nothing about it is low impact. I've used it on everything from car camping trips to 5 day float trips (moving down river every day) and up to 10 day hunts where it's set up once and left up for the duration of the trip. Sleeping on a camping pad on the ground is still cold and you don't get a benefit from the stove unless you're off the ground and in a cot. Comfortably it's a 2 man tent, or 3 if you like to be in each other's way. A fully stoked stove burns 3 - 4 hours so expect to be up more than once in the night to keep it warm.

All of that to say you can get soaked head to toe and hang your gear up inside, start the fire, and it'll all be warm and dry by the morning. The nostalgia/novelty factor is also a plus but I don't bring it out for a trip that's less than 2 nights or with my wife and kids. I've found a typical setup time after land clearing, locating trees to harvest and getting the tent up is 2 hours or faster with a chainsaw. Again, not low impact and nothing about it is easy. I've reached the point where either I'm buying a metal frame this year, or selling the whole thing. And I'm closer to selling.
Man, you need to invest in a frame! I don't miss the days of cutting poles.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last year I ordered another 14x16 and also ordered a vinyl awning. When I got it all, I was thinking "my goodness this awning weighs a ton". I laid it out, and it was the full rain fly/awning. I don't need the full rain fly, so called them up and shipped it back. Got the awning by itself a week later.

As for a rain fly........I rarely use one. I'd call it more of a snow fly. That's the only time I'll use my heavy duty (thick) white tarp as a fly.........when I expect heavy snow. The snow slides right off it. By the way, a 16x20 tarp will completely cover the roof front to back and hang over each side by a foot or so (on the 14x16 tent). So perfect size IMO.

Uninsulated air mattresses get cold........real cold, even in the summer at high altitude. Cots are great, and with the right combination of foam padding......more comfortable than sleeping at home for me.

Bumping this one up...can I get some more inputs on setup times, solo, as when the wife/kid tag along, as most dads know, it's a full-time job to watch the kiddo and dogs.

Would you bring a wall for an overnight or only worth setup/teardown if you can get 2 nights out of it?

One thing Ive done with mine is color coded the frame pieces. It makes putting the frame up really quick.

brn2hnt

WKR
No kids, just a wife and a dog, so take that for what it's worth.

We have a 10x12 and a 14x16 that we take, but rarely take the 14x16, as it's just the two of us.

We use a queen air mattress as the two cot idea is a definite non-starter for my wife.

Setup with the galvanized frame solo is maaaaybe 15 minutes? Longer if inclement weather makes me want to really stake everything down. However, on trips that my wife is along, that is usually never an issue, so I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've done more than 4 corners and 1 door stake.

Just setup the canopy frame, (tape to code ridge vs rafters is huge) drape the canvas over it, and slide in the legs. Easy-peasy.

I would absolutely set it up for a single-night trip, as long as it's not going to be wet. Drying it out afterward is a PITA so I would rather not deal with that for just a single night. Plus if it's truly an overnight trip I don't think I could convince her to go if it's going to be wet anyways.