Wall Tent LED lanterns

I did a half ass search and didn't find anything relevant. I'm wondering what the consensus is amongst guys that are setting up wall tents as a base camp.(drive in) I'd like to streamline some of my gear and get a dozen absolutely reliable LED battery powered lanterns. The streamlights have been a complete shitshow. Overstated lumens and inconsistent run times. I don't trust these lights at all.
The UST 30 day have been super reliable and outperform the streamlight in every category, especially battery life and brightness... Wondering if you guys have another contender before i commit to a dozen UST?20200920_205124.jpg

Rob5589

WKR
I have a couple of Core 500 lumen. Bright, batteries last forever, been dropped a few times without issue. They have a "high" and "low" setting as well.

Finch

WKR
Can't speak to lanterns but I just ordered these luci lantern knockoffs for 4 for $20. They are flat and not inflatable. They seem decently bright but not sure on run times and they might be a hassle for you to solar charge every so often. I think they would be adequate for hanging from something to shine down. Probably not as versatile as a lantern though. Just a thought.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also curious about this as I’ve tried used a Cabela’s lantern that was horrible. It did have a remote which I thought was a good idea and would like the next lantern to have.

Rich M

WKR
I get the $5 lanterns from harbor freight and they are good. When we were in CO last year, dad left one on outside the tent and it lasted several days. I also bring em out night fishing.

Bed bath and beyond had a version that is 2x as bright and has magnets on bottom. Also runs for a long time.

We used to do the Coleman lantern, then 8 d cell flour lanterns, working down to those little AA pup ups. They work great. Bright enough, easy on batteries, etc.

TSAMP

WKR
I got this one about a month ago. It has a "warm" light setting that is low power usage and nice once everyone's just sitting around for the evening. At 20 bucks its hard to beat. Runs on D cells and i used it on a 9 day hunt without any issues or needing additional batteries.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200921-081137_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200921-081137_Chrome.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 101

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have both of those, and they are OK IMO.

I bought a Goal Zero and some of their lights and a solar panel and now have lights, a way to run a fan and charge phones etc. and it recharges during the day. Never run out of power. It costs more but sure is nice. Buy once cry once...

LaHunter

WKR
Why not run a couple Coleman lanterns that use the small propane bottles? For a truck camp, these work great for me

JeffP_Or

WKR
Sounds funny but have you looked at a battery operated RV rope or Christmas lights to run the wall of the tent.

Not funny at all - look also at the 12V LED lighting tape; comes in coils of varying length which can be customized. Presumably, much of the wall tenting in question is a base camp and car camp related - carry a deep cell car battery and hook it all up with 12V switch [we use a dimmer....]. The beauty is absolutely no noise and the full-charge deep cell will run phone chargers and LED lighting for over a week even in cold elk camp temps.

Looks kind of like this [only can be strung inside a wall tent on the poles instead of juniper limbs...don't have a wall tent photo handy; sorry]:
IMG_5492.JPG
IMG_5493.JPG

OP
D
The Streamlight Seige ran for 24 hours on high, 255hrs on low (10 days ,15 hrs)
The UST30 also went 24 hours on high, 28 DAYS ON LOW. I didn't have a 3rd one at the time to test the medium run time, but they advertise it as 106 hrs @140 lumens.
I left two each of these turned on in my garage to test them using new energizer batteries. The Streamlight is a waste of money compared to the UST which has a longer run time with substantially more lumens.

My Davis tent is 28'x14' . I think I'll use 6 or more of the UST, on medium setting I should get an easy 10-14 days

Forgot to mention, I originally used Amazon D batteries for testing and only made it 16 hours on high. Those are absolutely trash and not worth the few cents saved.
Following
What kind of run times are you getting?

rayporter

WKR
last year we got a pair of led lights at harbor freight and they were super. ran about 3 days on one set of batts and put out a lot of light. they were larger than the streamlight. supposed to be 1000 lumens which i doubt but they put out light.

we do back them up with propane frequently but there is something from harbor freight that works.

Beendare

WKR
I run the little LED lanterns in my Wall tent. The AAA battery model I had petered out in less than a week, the AA model went over 2 weeks no problem [from REI]

I wouldn't hesitate to buy something like the Fenix models....even for a couple extra $$.

I run rechargeable in mine so the batteries on't rot and wreck it.

______

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
luminAID lights. Never used them but hear they are supposed to be pretty good.