Wall Tent LED lanterns

Rokbar

WKR
I've got small coast lanterns. Can't give battery times. One the battery tab broke first try. But their warranty is solid.

Titan

WKR
Are you packing in or setting up from a truck? If from a truck, bring a deep cycle 12v battery and some 12v ebay LED lights. You could run a couple 10-20w lights for 50-60 hours straight.

I have not used their lanterns but I can tell you that their flash lights and headlamps are the best I have ever seen or used. They are not cheap however.

Reactions: OMB

OMB

WKR
The Fenix LED lanterns are probably some of the best and brightest I've run into, especially for being in such a small package.

I still run propane lanterns, daisy chain them all from a large propane bottle. Works fine. I’m usually the last one to add improved technology. I probably was the last guy to get a gps or a turret adjustability scope, not to mention a range finder. Like all that stuff now. Might be worth looking into these lanterns.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only time we use LED lanterns is to give us enough light to see what we're doing to start the real lantern. And actually, I don't even need any light to do that. We've used propane and/or white gas lanterns for decades without any issues........other than the pump seals going out on the white gas models.

hunt1up

WKR
I have 6 of these. https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Por...antern&qid=1601309233&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-8

You can get them a lot of places under a lot of various brands. I've never had one fail, they're cheap, and they run a long time. I won't go back to gas lanterns. Once I got these I sold both of my propane lanterns.

No mantles to mess with, no farting around when one doesn't want to light, they take up less space, and I don't have to buy or pack propane bottles.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, my wife bought a few of those cheap Amazon no name LED lanterns from Amazon for the house when the power goes out here in CA 3x a year and all but one crapped out about 1 year later. Moisture in the circuit or just crummy manufacturing.

If I buy another it will be the Fenix....as the 2 that I have had for a couple years are excellent.
Edit- I used my Fenix for a week in AZ late hunt...pretty cold which kills the rechargeable battery life. I got 5 days out of my Fenix with Amazon rechargeable AA's. FWIW, there are other cheap lanterns that are brighter....but the ones I have from Costco go about 3 years max.

Last edited:

JATails

FNG
I got this one about a month ago. It has a "warm" light setting that is low power usage and nice once everyone's just sitting around for the evening. At 20 bucks its hard to beat. Runs on D cells and i used it on a 9 day hunt without any issues or needing additional batteries.

I got this one about a month ago. It has a "warm" light setting that is low power usage and nice once everyone's just sitting around for the evening. At 20 bucks its hard to beat. Runs on D cells and i used it on a 9 day hunt without any issues or needing additional batteries.
After reading this forum and going through online reviews I went ahead and purchased the (LE) on amazon for use in a 3 person canvas wall tent, truck camping. We used two LE lanterns for 6 nights and a few hours each night and again in the morning. We hung them from the frame of the tent. We used one set of batteries per lantern and may have had some slight dimming on the last evening but still plenty bright for us. Two lanterns offered more than enough light for us. One of the best features as mentioned before is the "warm" light setting and that was perfect for inside the tent.

Attachments

• Tent open.PNG
    Tent open.PNG
    162.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Tent.PNG
    Tent.PNG
    241 KB · Views: 37

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have a couple of Core 500 lumen. Bright, batteries last forever, been dropped a few times without issue. They have a "high" and "low" setting as well.
Took Rob's advice (even tho he is from that one particular western state :p) and picked up the core lantern for our wall tent this past season. Very pleased with it. To qualify for free shipping, I added on a handheld rechargeable flashlight-its my go to for scanning for deer before letting dog out at night

11boo

WKR
A couple guys are doing what I did. 12v led strips/small 12v deep cycle and I take a solar panel to charge it.

also have a power point fed from the battery with usb output for charging devices.

ADBFFC6C-44BB-4903-A760-9824DD0EA8A2.jpegC62A142F-FD1F-42FF-8D87-36EECAFBED2A.jpegFA3D9824-17FF-4430-8274-924CC139C33C.jpeg

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
A couple guys are doing what I did. 12v led strips/small 12v deep cycle and I take a solar panel to charge it.

also have a power point fed from the battery with usb output for charging devices.

View attachment 245234View attachment 245236View attachment 245237
I bet those strips are bright in that tent! My kids have them in their rooms and they are no joke. We put them in our 16' trailer and love them.

Question-the solar charger-have you ever run down the battery to a point you can KNOW the solar charger is working? I ask, bc I had a few of them for my quad and sled, and they didnt work for me. Would like to know what brand you went with-thanks

baz77

WKR
Bought 3 of these and used them on my 12 day trip to NM worked perfectly fine for me

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
For our moose camp we use wheelers to get to where we camp and have two wall tents. One for sleeping and one for cooking and hanging out. We switched to the streamlight led lantern for the sleep tent just because you can walk in and hit the button. The biggest negative is that they aren't very bright but good enough for the sleep tent. For our cook tent we like the northstar coleman and we still use it with regular gas. A propane one would be easier to light but then we would have to bring a propane tank in. Like someone else said, we are slow to change! haha

11boo

WKR
I bet those strips are bright in that tent! My kids have them in their rooms and they are no joke. We put them in our 16' trailer and love them.

Question-the solar charger-have you ever run down the battery to a point you can KNOW the solar charger is working? I ask, bc I had a few of them for my quad and sled, and they didnt work for me. Would like to know what brand you went with-thanks
I have a 90w panel, small charge controller and the 12 power point shows me the voltage coming in. During the day in full sun it shows 13.5+ volts coming in.

At night under load it runs around 11.5-12v. I got the stuff off Amazon.