Wall Tent Lighting

Pgidley

FNG
We use a Colemans and really enjoy it, something nostalgic that goes along with the wall tent. We don't use propane though, ours are all white gas. We have about 5 of various ages, some antiques, and I usually just pick which one I feel like bringing along.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Can’t beat a Coleman from the ridge pole. Then, an LED lamp for quick access for potty runs/first thing up in am.

***pack extra mantles in the handle of lantern caseAND make sure your green propane bottles are not old…. They do expire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use one of these
Took me forever to realize it would work for hunting/camping
But it has multiple settings, a USB charger, adjustable beam etc. A spare battery is easy.
I'm sure Dewalt and others have similar.

OP
C
Thanks for all the ideas! I picked up a couple LED lanterns "D cell" to try along with a remote controlled lantern to hang on the porch/entry. I also picked up a coleman propane to try out but wont have the kids messing with that one.
Ill post some picts after the trip of how they worked out.

Thanks again

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
LED lanterns like recommended are awesome. To take it a step further, a goal zero yeti 400 with their usb string lights would be another good play. That’s what I use. Easy to turn off and on, don’t have to reach way up then you’d have a big bank with more power for charging phones, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
Coleman lantern hanging from the ridge pole. One propane bottle lasts us almost a week.

yvtjjud.jpg

pw5J1Fl.jpg

Does the heat from the lantern get to the tent ceiling? I have always been concerned about hanging a Coleman propane lantern from the ridge pole / angles in my wall tent, due to the heat from the lantern possibly damaging the tent fabric.

Titan

WKR
LED is the way to go now. I run a full 12v custom set up, but even just somethin like a ryobi workbench light and a 6 ah battery would last you 5-6 days. Bring a couple batteries or the ability to charge it and you are set. I hate disposable batteries now...especially those expense C and D cells.

BCsteve

WKR
Dorcy 2000 Lumen.
I though I’d follow up on my purchase based on go_deep’s recommendation. It’s very bright on high and was only running it on med and low. The supplied Dorcy branded batteries lasted two days and leaked, wasn’t impressed. Wiped down the spill and replaced the batteries with some cheap battery I got in an 8 pack. Much better and lasted 6 days on those batteries. Replaced the second seton the last day. Overall I’m quite satisfied with the performance and battery life. Thanks go_deep!

Seeknelk

WKR
I use my big cone shaped Milwaukee cordless lantern/work light. An 18 volt 12 amp battery lasts a week in November. Click a button, get up feed the fire. It works well on the floor and hanging. I also use a milwaukee cordless fan, set on low behind the stove to circulate air. Those big batteries aren't cheap but I have em for work, may as well make em useful.

dog812

WKR
I have a 22 foot wall tent, use 3 usb led light bulbs, and hook them up to a old motorcycle battery, with 12v to usb adapters. Very cheap especially if you have old batteries around, last forever.

Gila

WKR
I have an inverter in my truck for low wattage AC. Also have two USB ports in the UTV. I have 4 LED lanterns that will charge up in a couple of hours....I have no need for batteries at all. My flashlights are all rechargeable too. But still have a Coleman propane lantern for the outside light. I only go through a few propane cannisters cooking on the stove anyway. Plenty of light to cut up an elk in the dark I suppose.

rbljack

WKR
as someone else asked above....has anyone experienced damange to their tent by using a Propane lantern hanging from the ridge pole? I wondered the same thing.....would the heat cause an issue on the canvas?

BCsteve

WKR
as someone else asked above....has anyone experienced damange to their tent by using a Propane lantern hanging from the ridge pole? I wondered the same thing.....would the heat cause an issue on the canvas?
Done this for years without issues. Hanging from the ridge pole with a bungie cord. Bungie is about 4-5" long plus the extended handle on the lantern so the lantern itself is probably 8-10" from the canvas.

Edit** Actually, looking at a picture from this year, although with the LED lantern in this photo, the lantern is probably closer to 12” + from the canvas.
CEA6-BC32-5668-4196-80-CC-7-DB25-A00-B578.jpg

Last edited:

huck

Lil-Rokslider
UST makes a LED lightbulb for cheap that the kids would love for a night light .