Wall Tent Questions...

I'm looking at getting a wall tent. I've been researching for awhile and am familiar with the brands, sizes, etc. My questions are more around what options you guys think are a must have and which sound good but aren't really needed and don't get used.

1. Screen for front door... I feel like I *need* a screen door and if I order new, I'd definitely include it as an option. Seems like it would be nice to have the flaps up but screen to keep pests out. But I also see used tents that come up for very attractive prices that don't have them. If it's not something you really use that much, I'd rather save some big money and go used.

2. Side windows. Same thing... how big of a deal are these?

3. Rain / Snow fly. Less concerned about this as it's easy enough to purchase later if I decide it's needed but do some of you not use them and how do your tents fair in rough winter conditions without a fly?

Not an options question but when you leave camp with a wet tent, how do you dry it out? i.e. spread it out in the garage, hang it, etc. Curious how people deal with that.

11boo

WKR
I guess the screen thing is A choice. I chose no screen, and have no regrets. I also don’t set it up during peak bug season.

i do wish I had side windows on my 10x12. Back window would be better.

If my tent gets wet/dirty it is getting set up in the yard, cleaned and dryer before storage.

If during September.
Screen door.
November not needed at all.
I'd pay for a door screen before a window.
I never use my windows.
Get an over size silver tarp for the rain fly, porch the snow slides off a tarp better.
But that requires a sidewall stove pipe whole.

Check put Canvas Cabins the outside pole system is way easier to set up.

I toy with selling mine sometimes, but then other times its just so damn comfy and useful.

OP
C
I should mention that I will use the tent for summer camping trips too. That's where the screen door interest is coming from.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
A screen door might be nice. I’ve had mine set up in November and had warm enough weather for the flies to be a PIA.

My old Montana Canvas tent doesn’t have windows or a rain fly. Never needed either one.

I just use a regular pop up shade tent as a porch.
If bad weather is expected thats when I use the big tarp to cover it all.

Basically all that stuff is nice if u have the budget.
I never use the windows though. Just another potential failure point imo
Screen door at both ends would be great flow thru if real hot.

They are heavy and take lots of room in the bed of the truck. As such, there are better tents for summer camping. In the summer, you will want all the ventilation you can possibly get. Again, there are lots of better options for summer camping.

But for cold weather/winter camping, you can not beat the comfort of a heated canvas wall tent, as they simply retain heat much better than most other options.

The rain fly can possibly save you tons of work along with saving your tent. What I mean is that you do NOT want to put a canvas tent away wet. So if it does get went and you pack it up and take it home that way, you will need to set it up and leave it until it dries out, at home somewhere. But if it is pouring while you are taking it down, it's going to get wet.

I like having side windows for ventilation during the day. If you spend any time in the tent during the day, it tends to heat up a bit. Having the windows makes it so much more comfortable.

OP
C
For those of you that have bought a Davis tent... what did the shipping costs look like? I know that can vary greatly depending on where you're at but trying to get a ball park figure. i.e. less than $100, more than $100, several $100s, etc

I'd be shipping to Montana.

For those of you that have bought a Davis tent... what did the shipping costs look like? I know that can vary greatly depending on where you're at but trying to get a ball park figure. i.e. less than $100, more than $100, several $100s, etc

I know this isn't what you asked.
But canvas cabins is in Montana

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I mostly use my wall tent in the summer and fall, and find a screen door and window as necessary. It heats up a lot in the sun. I generally don't use my fly/awning all that much, but I am taking it this year and plan on using it. I can set up a cook table outside the tent yet still under the awning, and the shade comes in handy depending on where you're camping. I also love sitting out and watching it rain. I have a Davis 14x16. I average about 30 nights a year in my wall tent.

I prefer to have it dry when I break it down, but if not.......I just set it back up at home on a nice warm sunny day and let it dry.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a back and 2 side windows. Great for ventilation when it gets warm. No screen door, and can't really think of a scenario when I'd need one. Yes on the rain fly. It can save your roof from ember burns, sap, etc. I got the extended fly so I'd have a porch. That porch is invaluable. As others have said, if its wet when i take it down, spread it out when I get home to dry it.
aa9baf2fb8b210a97211bb4e0b3d3957.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
C
I mostly use my wall tent in the summer and fall, and find a screen door and window as necessary. It heats up a lot in the sun. I generally don't use my fly/awning all that much, but I am taking it this year and plan on using it. I can set up a cook table outside the tent yet still under the awning, and the shade comes in handy depending on where you're camping. I also love sitting out and watching it rain. I have a Davis 14x16. I average about 30 nights a year in my wall tent.

I prefer to have it dry when I break it down, but if not.......I just set it back up at home on a nice warm sunny day and let it dry.

What fly did you go with from Davis? i.e. the poly or vinyl

I know you've posted a bunch on wall tents, I've read a lot of them and know you like the 14x16. I'm trying to cut down on weight, size, bulk, etc and cost and am thinking about a 12x14. 14x16 being a very close second. It will mostly be just me using it. My son occasionally, and even less occasionally... my wife and son. I know everyone says go bigger but what are you thoughts on the 12x14 (and anyone else for that matter) for my use case?

If you want to cut weight you might consider relite walls but a canvas roof for breathability. I have a 16x18 from Montana Canvas in all relite and I love it. But, it does not hold heat like canvas. I just need to run the stove a bit more, or a bit hotter. But it is simply to big for many spots. Throwing a tarp over it helps greatly for holding in the heat though.

sneaky

"DADDY"

What size are you looking at? I have a 16x20 Davis with screen door, 3 windows, internal frame, that I'm thinking of selling. Just way more tent than I need now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Idahoguy

FNG
I have a 16x20 Montana canvas and put screen doors on both ends with no windows. In the summer you can open both ends and get a good breeze thru it.