Wall tent stakes for logging road landings

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Forum,

I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for wall tent stakes that work really well on logging road landings (specifically NW Washington) where compacted rock has a tendency to bend the stakes that were included in the tent kit we bought years ago. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
12" lag bolts with a large flat washer. We use the 3/8" diameter lags that use a 9/16" socket. Bring a cordless impact driver and BAM. Done in a fraction of the time and no bent stakes. We bought them at Menards in packages of 5 I believe.

12" lag bolts with a large flat washer. We use the 3/8" diameter lags that use a 9/16" socket. Bring a cordless impact driver and BAM. Done in a fraction of the time and no bent stakes. We bought them at Menards in packages of 5 I believe.
That’s a nifty idea. Ever have issues with the drill running out of battery? Would think it takes a lot of juice to sink that many large bolts.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Hasn't happened yet and using a older Dewalt 14.4 too. Don't get me wrong, I have a ratchet in the bag o tools too. Just in case......

We drive 22 stakes on our smaller tent.

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider

This sounds like an amazing idea. Any chance you have a photo or video of how you do this?

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a nifty idea. Ever have issues with the drill running out of battery? Would think it takes a lot of juice to sink that many large bolts.
Yes, I had some 14" bolts in a rocky West Texas ground, I was setting up two tents and the battery died with about 2 left to do. I had a few metal stakes I finished with but had to use a socket set to remove. That was the only time I have had it happen, I now bring 10" bolts to that part of the state

I ordered some of these 5/8" x 18" steel takes. They drive into most any soil.

The website has other even larger stakes if you need them.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I really like that lag bolt idea, I'm gonna try that this year.
I cut a few of my stakes down to 6inch to use on some of the spots that don't need to be wind worthy. I don't like protruding stakes.