Wall Tent Stove Size Recommendations

I recently bought a 12x14 wall tent and would like to get a stove for it. I've been looking at the Cylinder Stoves at Montana Canvas (link at bottom) and can't decide which size to go with. I'll mostly be using this set up by myself and ideally would like a stove that 1) adequately heats the tent and 2) can make it through the night without stoking.

The "Yukon", which is their largest, is what I've been considering. I'm sure this stove will satisfy both requirements but it takes up a ton of space and weighs 100lbs. Most trips will be me solo and I have a short bed Tundra so limited space. The "Hunter" is smaller and weights less but wondering how often I'll have to restoke it. The stove in between these two is much closer to the "Yukon" in size and weight so I figure may as well go with the Yukon over that one.

Any suggestions? Would a "Hunter" size stove get me both requirements or at least close?

mmac

WKR
I recently got a winnerwell and really like it. Stainless, but weighs 25 I think and burns well.

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The hunter will do fine if looking for other options check four dog stoves

Second what Ross said.. I’ve got a four dog stove and it’s great for our 16x20 canvas tent. Got the largest one they had. Excellent workmanship and quality. Go to YouTube and type in four dog stove reviews and he will explain in detail what size you need and how to make it work best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Four Dog stoves are great because they are more air-tight than most, and feature a double bottom and baffled top. However, nothing has been available on their website for weeks now.
Don did announce on their FB page that they have a new hybrid model coming on 1 Nov, but it's a Kni-Co with titanium double floor and baffle from Four Dog.

They're a small operation, and I think they struggle to keep up with demand. If you can wait for one, watch the website and FB.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
i have the largest wood stove for my 10x12 Rainier wall tent.
hunt partners tease me about the large size, as it's just myself in the 10x12 for sleeping. They come over to visit but like my larger stoves large warming shelf, hot water tank.
It will burn all night, dampened down and with a full round. Partially due to longer wood cut for the longer length stove.

A side benefit...longer cut wood doesn't fit others smaller wood stoves. So no missing pieces off MY wood pile. ;)

Last edited:

johnnyg08

FNG
Four Dog stoves are great because they are more air-tight than most, and feature a double bottom and baffled top. However, nothing has been available on their website for weeks now.
Don did announce on their FB page that they have a new hybrid model coming on 1 Nov, but it's a Kni-Co with titanium double floor and baffle from Four Dog.

They're a small operation, and I think they struggle to keep up with demand. If you can wait for one, watch the website and FB.
I think they have inventory now but I haven't seen anything on their site regarding the Kni-Co one.

At some point, I'll probably get a Four Dog because of the baffle, false bottom, & sealed titanium shell.
i have the largest wood stove for my 10x12 Rainier wall tent.
hunt partners tease me about the large size, but it's just myself in the 10x12 for sleeping. They come over to visit but like my larger stoves larger warming shelf, hot water tank.
It will burn all night, dampened down and with a full round. Partially due to longer wood cut for the longer length stove.

A side benefit...longer cut wood doesn't fit others wood stoves. So no missing pieces off MY wood pile. ;)
Ha! Great point. No messing with your wood!

mmac

WKR
I got the nomad large. I figured too much heat and I can reduce or vent. I am sure the heavier ones hold heat longer etc, but this was just so portable and easier to take and set up. Haven't had it in very cold, but has served well so far.

Jude

FNG
I'm waiting for delivery on my twodog stove should be here Tuesday, Don (the owner of fourdog) said he had 2 of each size in stock.
Another option is wilderness tents. I believe they are a sponser here.
I have a wilderness 3 stove in my 10×12 wall tent and it works well.

johnnyg08

FNG
I'm waiting for delivery on my twodog stove should be here Tuesday, Don (the owner of fourdog) said he had 2 of each size in stock.
Another option is wilderness tents. I believe they are a sponser here.
I have a wilderness 3 stove in my 10×12 wall tent and it works well.
I was just on their site today and by the looks of it, they're in a better spot with inventory...but they make each one right in their shop...so if you need one...order it a month or two out, not a week.