Wall Tent Stove ??

Broz

WKR
I have a 12 x 17 Montana Canvas wall tent and I want to upgrade the stove. I have been using a Riley Wrangler wood stove. It is a light and nice little stove but on the colder nights it needs to be stoked about every 3 hours.

I want to get a new stove, either wood, fuel oil, pellet or what ever that will put off some serious heat and run at least 5 or 6 hours.

What are your favorite stoves for a base camp wall tent?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jeff

We've been using a Great West Metals airtight heater for some time now.... The 20" model holds enough wood for it to burn 5-6 hours (all depending) It is pretty light (around 18 pounds with 8' of 5" pipe) and was only $75 (10 years ago or so) They make 18"-25" models. Once you get a pile of coals going you can stuff in entire logs into the thing and it will just chug along.

It heats my single walled Cabelas bighorn tent so well, the wife has even come winter camping in it with temps down to -25C.

attachment.php

Last edited:
My buddy built one for his. It is 14"x14" and it 22" long. He made it with adjustable legs. The legs lower enough to contain themselves and his stove pipe fits inside the stove when not in use. I will see if I can get a couple of pictures of it from him.

ScottP

WKR
If weight and packability isn't a concern, check out Four Dog Stove. I have one, its great. Very well built, air-tight door.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
+1 on the 4 dog stoves...been using a 2dog model for several years in my 8x10 wall tent heavy duty stoves that will be around longer than we will.

OP
Broz

Broz

WKR
Thanks for the replies so far, please keep them coming.

So wood is the way to go? Nobody uses a fuel oil dripper?

What kind of burn time with decent sized fur split logs are you guys getting from the 4 dog?

Ryan, I actually have one like that in the back yard, just needs a new barrel.

Jeff

After the weekend I'll post up diagrams and pics of our pellet burner we used. Can be adapted to any wood stove and you NEVER have to stoke the fire! Got our 16x20 wall tent 75* and kept it there all night long on a recent 3rd season Colorado trip! You adjust the surface area of your stove according to your wall tent size. And it flings no embers or coals! Or you can buy them but I made mine with a cutoff wheel and welder...

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to find a picture of it now- we added a layer of silver bubble wrap between the tent and frame this fall for COs 2nd Rifle. It's the stuff you find at Home Depot by the roll and worked incredibly well at keeping the tent almost too warm for the whole night. I know you aren't looking for tent insulation ideas but I thought I'd share as it made our homemade wood stove look like a champ while burning a lot less wood

LaHunter

WKR
I have the Cabela's Wall Tent Cylinder stove. It weighs 75ish pounds and everything is included and fits into the stove. I have used it for 1 week in WY this past October mule deer hunting. It heated my 12 X 20 Cabela's Alaknak tent very well. It would even get too warm when the fire was really hot. The night time temps got down into the mid 20's. With the wood that we used, the fire would not burn more than about 3-4 hours. Before I left for the trip, I tried it out at home and used oak, and it would still have a lot of hot coals after 6 hours. Wood type is a big factor. Next time I will probably bring my own oak fire wood with me.

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you that have these types of stoves have you had problems getting the chimney warm enough to prevent down drafts on days without much wind? I am not trying to high jack the thread and maybe I should've posted this on a new thread. A buddy and I have been using a Cabelas Alaknak 12 x 12 and have a large box stove from Cabelas as well. (Not sure of the model). Here in ND we almost always have wind but three days this season we had problems getting the chimney hot enough to prevent the down drafting and smoking out of the tent.

As as far as should you use wood I would say yes. I have never used pellets but I have used propane every winter in portable ice houses and it usually turns the inside of the canvas ice house into a sauna and eventually it is soaked. Very difficult to dry any gear out. When the wood stove does work we have been very warm in the tent down to 0 degrees with high winds. I have spent about a month in this tent over the last three years.

OP
Broz

Broz

WKR
After the weekend I'll post up diagrams and pics of our pellet burner we used. Can be adapted to any wood stove and you NEVER have to stoke the fire! Got our 16x20 wall tent 75* and kept it there all night long on a recent 3rd season Colorado trip! You adjust the surface area of your stove according to your wall tent size. And it flings no embers or coals! Or you can buy them but I made mine with a cutoff wheel and welder...

I am very interested in this conversion. Please post what you can when you have time.

Also I am originally from the Midwest, I remember the days when I had oak, hickory, hedge, and other hard woods at my fingertips. It does make a big difference. But the only oak we have around here in Montana would be some furniture or maybe a jewelry box. I better leave them alone. That said I heat our home 98% of the winter with a good wood stove filled with Fur. It will burn from 9 pm until 6 am and still have enough coals to start the new wood. And yes insulation is golden, but would not want to insulate the tent unless it was an easy task and I had exhausted all other options.

I do appreciate all posts here. I have heard before other good things about pellets and also a fuel oil dripper that burns diesel. I am going to do something. The last trip to WY. (OCT) was a cold SOB due to the lows in the low 20's and wind. Not doing that again if I can help it.

Thanks all.
Jeff

Stid2677

WKR
If you are looking for a fuel option you might consider a Hunter multi fuel stove. I have the smaller version with the built in tank and it will run all night on low. I also use a Nuway propane stove, I like it better because I can light it off easier when needed and shut it off instantly.

If you are handy I can post some photos of a home made propane stove that uses an empty tank and a turkey fryer burner.

Link showing the Hunter..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZPRg_zQMVw

http://www.nuwaystove.com/model4000.php

Nuway in my Arctic Oven

IMGP0213.jpg

OP
Broz

Broz

WKR
If you are handy I can post some photos of a home made propane stove that uses an empty tank and a turkey fryer burner.

I have the skills to build a stove with decent instructions. I can cut and weld and would be interested in maybe converting what I have if the end results would be a good strong heat source that is safe enough to allow me to sleep.. :D

However buying a new stove may be easier if I find the model best suited for what I need. Either way is ok with me.

Thanks
Jeff

Stid2677

WKR
I have the skills to build a stove with decent instructions. I can cut and weld and would be interested in maybe converting what I have if the end results would be a good strong heat source that is safe enough to allow me to sleep.. :D

However buying a new stove may be easier if I find the model best suited for what I need. Either way is ok with me.

Thanks
Jeff

I got these from another forum and have not yet made one myself, it does work on the same concept as my Nuway, draws fresh air from the bottom and vents the vapor out the stack.

Please Use caution and common sense.

IMG_2791_zpsc72522de.jpg

IMG_2792_zpse7701d20.jpg

IMG_2794_zpsa9f9fd65.jpg

OP
Broz

Broz

WKR
Thanks Stid. What size Nuway do you have? Also how long does a tank of fuel last if you have it on the higher settings?

Jeff

ScottP

WKR
What kind of burn time with decent sized fur split logs are you guys getting from the 4 dog?

Jeff

I have the 3-dog model, and get ~4hrs before I need to load it again burning pine, so I usually wake up at 2am and get er fired back up if I want to wake up to coals at 6am. My dad is using his 3-dog to heat a 1000 sqft garage! He loves that thing.

Stid2677

WKR
Thanks Stid. What size Nuway do you have? Also how long does a tank of fuel last if you have it on the higher settings?

Jeff

I have the Model 3000 single burner, I mostly run it on low with some time on high when I first start it. My Arctic Oven and Sawtooth are easy to heat so I have never had a need to run it on high for long. I run it all night during spring and fall hunts in Alaska with the coldest temps in the teens. I have never run a 20lb tank empty using it for 10 days.

Luke has the larger 2 burner model, you can PM him and ask what it burns.

Very handy and easy to use when transport of the tanks is doable. Quick and easy, no soot or smoke smell.

Steve

OP
Broz

Broz

WKR
I have the Model 3000 single burner, I mostly run it on low with some time on high when I first start it. My Arctic Oven and Sawtooth are easy to heat so I have never had a need to run it on high for long. I run it all night during spring and fall hunts in Alaska with the coldest temps in the teens. I have never run a 20lb tank empty using it for 10 days.

Luke has the larger 2 burner model, you can PM him and ask what it burns.

Very handy and easy to use when transport of the tanks is doable. Quick and easy, no soot or smoke smell.

Steve

Thanks! I am liking the sounds of this very well. Most of the time, when using my camp set up we can get a truck to camp. If not we pack in with a pack string and a couple 20# bottles would not be an issue. I am probably leaning toward the larger unit for more velocity and ft lbs of energy. Oh wait we are talking stoves aren't we. I still like the bigger stick.

Jeff