Wall tent vs Alaknak/Similar tents

elkduds

WKR
Surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Springbar/Kodiak canvas option. I switched last year from wall tent to Kodiak Canvas. Easier for 1 guy to pitch, more liveable space w near-vertical walls, solid floor attached. Lighter and easier to store than wall tent w internal frame. Can be had for less than your budgeted amount. 10x10 for 2 people w stove, 10x14 is better. Kodiak Tents View attachment 63445 IMG_0279.jpg

DFB

FNG
If you can get your hands on an old Cabelas XWT 10x10 you’ll be set.

Fireguy

WKR
Surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Springbar/Kodiak canvas option. I switched last year from wall tent to Kodiak Canvas. Easier for 1 guy to pitch, more liveable space w near-vertical walls, solid floor attached. Lighter and easier to store than wall tent w internal frame. Can be had for less than your budgeted amount. 10x10 for 2 people w stove, 10x14 is better. Kodiak Tents View attachment 63445 View attachment 63446

I have the 10x14 and love it!

OP
J
Thanks for the responses guys. I wish there was somewhere I could go and actually see all of the options.

I also wish that the canvas tipis were in my price range. I know you can get the larger SO tipis for close to what I'm looking to spend but thats still fairly pricy... the canvas ones from competitors are ridiculous!

rayporter

WKR
I think floors are terribly over rated. I can have a bug problem here and all it takes is a tarp thrown down and some bug spray to cure the bugs.
I have had a tipi to Alaska and Canada with little to no bug problem. mice will get in anything.

cnelk

WKR
I also wish that the canvas tipis were in my price range. I know you can get the larger SO tipis for close to what I'm looking to spend but thats still fairly pricy... the canvas ones from competitors are ridiculous!

Davis Tent makes a canvas tipi thats reasonable- Single Pole Tent - Davis Tent

You can even get a sewn floor in that tipi
Give Roy a call. He will make any style/size canvas tent you want

OP
J
Does anyone have any first hand experience with CanvasCamp? The Sibley line looks almost perfect save for it being foreign made.

If you don't want nice at night, sleep in a hammock.

I have stayed in mine down to 22 degrees so far and very comfortable.

Guaranteed mouse proof, a little permeterin on the suspension and it guaranteed bug proof

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I have had a 12X12 alaknak for 12 years. I have the vestibule as well. Yes you will get some condensation at night but I have never had the issues some say. I run a wood stove in mine it dries it out very quickly. For 2 people it has plenty of room. BUT, it never fails, I will forget something (headlamp, etc) in the tent and need to take my boots off or track the mud into the tent to get it. I have since moved to a smaller floorless shelter (sawtooth) as I am usually hunting by my self and love floorless. If I ever have buddies come out for a basecamp hunt again, I would consider a wall tent for all the reasons everyone else has stated. BUT, that does not mean the alaknak is not an excellent tent.

-dan

sndmn11

WKR
Does anyone have any first hand experience with CanvasCamp? The Sibley line looks almost perfect save for it being foreign made.
Am I on the right track as far as canvas being more upkeep/etc?

My budget is around $1k.

A quality canvas tent should require no upkeep other than storing it dry, which means laying it out flat on the driveway when sunny, or in the garage if not.
The absolute number one thing you should be looking for if you choose a canvas tent is the word Sunforger. This is a treatment process that is done in Butler, GA to make the canvas water and mildew resistant. It is important because it is done with minerals, and because of this, does not hurt the cotton fibers that make up the thread that makes up the canvas that makes up your tent. I feel confident telling you that ANY canvas not advertised as Sunforger, is a chemically based treatment (usually done overseas) that damages the canvas and leads to a weaker tent and a shorter lifespan. The best analogy I have is acid wash jeans from two or three decades ago; they did not last as long as your normal Levi's, Wranglers, or Lee's, because the treatment that they went through to look so cool, damaged the material. Sunforger is a bragging point, and companies that use it make a point to let potential customers know. Also, seeing Sunforger is a good way to know that the tent is actually being made in the USA...Canvas Cabins, Bravo Tent, Springbar/Kirkhams, come to mind as some who use Sunforger, and there are a few others that I cannot think of at this moment.

I am the sales manager at Davis Tent, and of course, we use Sunforger. I would genuinely tell you that if you buy a tent made from Sunforger, you are buying a great product regardless of who is making it. Those who are still making wall tents here in the USA have been doing so for at least a decade or two, and I think we all know that in the niche industry of hunting/fishing/outdoor equipment, if you make a poor product you are done in a few years. I would love to have a conversation with you over the phone, and we have some really good specials right now, but at the least, I hope that you heed my advice if going the canvas route and stick with Sunforger so that you do not end up stuck with something that may be worthless in a short time.

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ive used Cabelas outfitter 8 man and Cabelas xwt until my partner brought his canvas tent and stove. After that trip, I went and bought a canvas 16x20 and wood stove. My experience and advice is go with canvas and wood stove. You won’t regret it and my 16x20 is a huge tent but I can put it up in 30 minutes by myself (I’m 53). No condensation and is way much better than nylon tents. I ordered my canvas tent with removable floor and glad I did. Only use half of it where I sleep and the front area is floorless. Mine has 2 doors and 2 windows and is a great tent. Davis tents are excellent and their customer service is top shelf. You can get a great setup for $1000 canvas. Trust me, I research all my equipment before making my decision and only buy top shelf stuff. Go canvas and don’t look back. Canvas requires drying out and cleaning and good storage. I store mine in a new large wheeled plastic trash can to keep mice from chewing it up while it’s being stored. Call the folks at Davis tents (no affiliation) and they will be to help. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quality canvas tent should require no upkeep other than storing it dry, which means laying it out flat on the driveway when sunny, or in the garage if not.
The absolute number one thing you should be looking for if you choose a canvas tent is the word Sunforger. This is a treatment process that is done in Butler, GA to make the canvas water and mildew resistant. It is important because it is done with minerals, and because of this, does not hurt the cotton fibers that make up the thread that makes up the canvas that makes up your tent. I feel confident telling you that ANY canvas not advertised as Sunforger, is a chemically based treatment (usually done overseas) that damages the canvas and leads to a weaker tent and a shorter lifespan. The best analogy I have is acid wash jeans from two or three decades ago; they did not last as long as your normal Levi's, Wranglers, or Lee's, because the treatment that they went through to look so cool, damaged the material. Sunforger is a bragging point, and companies that use it make a point to let potential customers know. Also, seeing Sunforger is a good way to know that the tent is actually being made in the USA...Canvas Cabins, Bravo Tent, Springbar/Kirkhams, come to mind as some who use Sunforger, and there are a few others that I cannot think of at this moment.

I am the sales manager at Davis Tent, and of course, we use Sunforger. I would genuinely tell you that if you buy a tent made from Sunforger, you are buying a great product regardless of who is making it. Those who are still making wall tents here in the USA have been doing so for at least a decade or two, and I think we all know that in the niche industry of hunting/fishing/outdoor equipment, if you make a poor product you are done in a few years. I would love to have a conversation with you over the phone, and we have some really good specials right now, but at the least, I hope that you heed my advice if going the canvas route and stick with Sunforger so that you do not end up stuck with something that may be worthless in a short time.

Are you still working at Davis? I am in the process of considering a walled tent, a single layer tent such as a Cabelas Alaknak or Big Horn 3, or a smaller more portable tee pee.

JaredJ

WKR
Lots of good comments, as I was trying to decide what to get here is why I went with Alaknak, I have kids and we camp in the summer as well as hunt, I am not able to have summer camping set up and a separate hunting camp set up. I can open up all the windows and two doors and the tent is good in warm weather. I have often wondered about the comments that canvas will hold heat longer, how long. Unless two tents were in the same place and warmed up to the same temp I struggle believing that its enough of a difference to be a deal-breaker. In cold weather, the woodstove does a great job of keeping the tent warm. I do have to vent the alaknak, and I have gotten condensation and it is usually from closing up all the vents. Usually, we always dry wet cloths in the tent next to the fire and even with all the wet cloths condensation is minimal. I have mixed thoughts on no floor like I said I use my tent in the summer and having a floor keeps the bugs out. However, in the mud, the floor does get a little dirty. I have a floor liner and that helps because I can remove it and clean it. Weight is another factor I considered. I have two Alaknaks 12x20 and 13x27 they are big but I can move them by my self. I store the tent separate from the polls, also I can set up either tent by my self without help. The last consideration I had was care, Canvas takes a lot of upkeep, mold it real. I have plenty of canvas and it must be completely dry before putting it away. I feel like the comparison is like the Ford Chevy Dodge each has really good points but none of them are best in everything. I will include a link to my camp set up.

2019 camp

From jaredjeppsen: Lots of good comments, as I was trying to decide what to get here is why I went with Alaknak, I have kids and we camp in the summer as well as hunt, I am not able to have summer camping set up and a separate hunting camp set up. I can open up all the windows and two doors and the tent is good in warm weather. I have often wondered about the comments that canvas will hold heat longer, how long. Unless two tents were in the same place and warmed up to the same temp I struggle believing that its enough of a difference to be a deal-breaker. In cold weather, the woodstove does a great job of keeping the tent warm. I do have to vent the alaknak, and I have gotten condensation and it is usually from closing up all the vents. Usually, we always dry wet cloths in the tent next to the fire and even with all the wet cloths condensation is minimal. I have mixed thoughts on no floor like I said I use my tent in the summer and having a floor keeps the bugs out. However, in the mud, the floor does get a little dirty. I have a floor liner and that helps because I can remove it and clean it. Weight is another factor I considered. I have two Alaknaks 12x20 and 13x27 they are big but I can move them by my self. I store the tent separate from the polls, also I can set up either tent by my self without help. The last consideration I had was care, Canvas takes a lot of upkeep, mold it real. I have plenty of canvas and it must be completely dry before putting it away. I feel like the comparison is like the Ford Chevy Dodge each has really good points but none of them are best in everything. I will include a link to my camp set up.

Excellent points....thank you for sharing your experiences! They will be helpful in making a decision.

Ok....awesome. I am hoping to get my decision made here within the week as to which direction to go with regards to one of your tents or one of the cabela's tents. Ha...I also have to work out some funding within the family. My PM rights to you should be activated within 5 days or so (newbie; have to wait 7 days).

KSK

FNG
I have 10 years on the 12x12 Alaknak. Has been through wind, snow and rain and has held up well. I use a barrel stove for heat and LED lights for a light source. Also have the vestibule.