Wall tent w/stove recommendations

Webb11

FNG
Hey guys, looking for your input. My son drew a quality youth hunt tag for mule deer this year and I usually take the fifth wheel. This year I wanted to try a different experience and set up a wall tent as a base camp for him and I. Here in NM there is a great chance of snow during his hunt. I was wondering what tent you all recommend for two people with a stove to keep warm? My son is 12 so I'm not looking for anything crazy to set up.

Buck197

WKR
Watching this for replies. I'd thought of getting a new wall tent, but pretty well decided to go the tipi route, as that seems convenient as all get out. Maybe your replies will change my mind.

OP
Webb11

Webb11

FNG
Haha. Lets see how this shakes out..... So far some co workers have recommended a Davis wall tent with stove combination but all say it can be a task to set up solo or with a youth. So let's see...

Buck197

WKR
Haha. Lets see how this shakes out..... So far some co workers have recommended a Davis wall tent with stove combination but all say it can be a task to set up solo or with a youth. So let's see...
Yup. Wall tents are amazing, I love them, but moving camp, setting up, weight and all that jazz, I just have thought a tipi may be the way for me, but sure want to be sure. Heck I'm fifty now, not old, but everything is sure a little harder nowadays!!

Buck197

WKR
Canvas Cabins with exterior poles is the easiest fastest to setup i have seen.
12x15 allows you to do cots length way with the longer wall and still have a buffer.
Could I ask, approximately what the weight is, just a rough guess is fine, sorry for butting in..tagging along on this thread obviously haha

I have setup a Davis 10x12 I believe with traditional poles and a 16x24 Davis with internal frame by myself with a youth. No big deal at all. I have even done it by myself. Don’t be scared of it and I promise you will be happy you have it if it snows and is cold. They are great

Totally agree with william schmaltz, but the absolute biggest issue I have with AO tents is they're horrible to hunt out of when the weather turns bad. What I mean by this is, it's really hard to get motivated to hunt in even the slightest bad weather, when you have a tent as comfortable and cozy as an AO with a stove.

prm

WKR
I’ve hunted many seasons with a Seek Outside tent with a Ti stove. Great way to go in my opinion. But it’s not a wall tent! They make wall-ish tent though. Probably easy enough to set up solo.
593AAF11-73AD-4870-8DED-2FC864FD0BFC.jpeg

OP
Webb11

Webb11

FNG
I have setup a Davis 10x12 I believe with traditional poles and a 16x24 Davis with internal frame by myself with a youth. No big deal at all. I have even done it by myself. Don’t be scared of it and I promise you will be happy you have it if it snows and is cold. They are great
Thank you! Sounds like that set up is the most popular.

OP
Webb11

Webb11

FNG
I like my 10x12 Davis Tent. Perfect for 2 guys.

If there’s an abundance of wood, wood stove. If not, I use propane heat.

Piece of cake to set up

View attachment 290240View attachment 290241

I like my 10x12 Davis Tent. Perfect for 2 guys.

If there’s an abundance of wood, wood stove. If not, I use propane heat.

Piece of cake to set up

View attachment 290240View attachment 290241
Did you get your Davis as a kit with the stove? Or did you add your own to it?

cnelk

WKR
^^^
I had Davis make my tent a custom size. Shorter walls and peak height to keep the heat lower in the space (I’m not tall)
I can sit on my cot and my head will not touch the roof.
These were dimensions I gave to Davis

I built my stove.

I also built my own internal frame using top rail of chain link fencing - the slip joints work perfectly for that application