Wall tent w/stove recommendations

Davis tents work great when the snow is falling. We use a Colorado cylinder stove, Timberline package for 12 x 14 foot tent. 10x12 wall tent should be easy to set with your 12 yr old. I use a 12x14 wall tent and set it up with my 14 year old (a bit more room if you ever want to have 3 guys in camp).

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made my own stove too. I’ll try to post some pics tomorrow. The barrel and the welding were free for me, but if I would have had to pay for everything, it would have been fairly close to the price of just buying one right out.
My main recommendation would be a stove with a flat top for cooking or heating food, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t be afraid of wall tents. The setup isn’t that bad - I use traditional poles with my 12x14 and I can have it up solo in under 30 minutes. Yes, it’s heavy but doable.

As far as size, I think 12x14 is perfect. More than enough room for two people, and 3-4 is doable with a stove. Yes, it’s getting tight but I don’t cook inside and honestly camp is for sleeping. I come back to camp at the end of the day, I spend the day in the field. If it’s storming, or even if you want to have a down day you can move stuff around to have more room for cards/etc.

As far as wall tent vs tipi, there’s no comparison there. Obviously, if you’re hunting off your back a wall tent isn’t an option, but if I’m truck camping I’d prefer to have the canvas 10 times out of 10.

Im not sure how campers are in the cold, but the wood stove is a godsend in the cold/wet. You can get inside and get the stove going and in no time the entire place is warm and your stuff is all dry. Even in the morning when the heat is mostly gone out of the stove a canvas tent will hold heat better. One of the first mornings I was using it I got up and thought “man it’s chilly in here”. Wood stove was dead. Nature called so I popped outside and holy shit was it cold. When I came back in I was like “man it’s warm in here”. It was probably in the high teens outside, 50s-60s inside the tent.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the 12’x14’
If feels perfect. I can set it up with a kid to help in about 5 minutes if it is unpacked. To unpack and set up takes about 17 minutes. I have some time lapse video to show how we did it.
2cf585618a46a98fea7a9cb814d22194.jpg

b1cc928dc694aa77fffe2c6903f307d1.jpg

You can see some Time lapse videos on my Instagram gram. (Tap a talk won’t let me post videos)

OP
Webb11

Webb11

FNG
I made my own stove too. I’ll try to post some pics tomorrow. The barrel and the welding were free for me, but if I would have had to pay for everything, it would have been fairly close to the price of just buying one right out.
My main recommendation would be a stove with a flat top for cooking or heating food, etc.

Thank you. Appreciate the feedback.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
An 8x10 wall tent will work for two it is a quick pitch easy to do with one and if want to move around a great option. Just enough room knowing you will be toasty warm and so simple this Montana canvas has seen close to 2 decades of use along with stove and have simply resealed the canvas a few times with relite walls that dry out much quicker than canvas….also have never tarped the top as no need….we used to do some winter camps and it was the meeting room🤙The four dog stove company makes a line of heavy duty stoves….in a pinch we have stacked 3cots with stove in as well to get cozy🤣

Attachments

• 673409E5-9D3A-439B-884E-A0344BE3D12D.jpeg
    673409E5-9D3A-439B-884E-A0344BE3D12D.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 45
  • B93237FF-69AF-450D-BB69-DA0C432255C0.jpeg
    B93237FF-69AF-450D-BB69-DA0C432255C0.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 45
  • B5B73662-F49E-49B9-A61D-0403A1456390.jpeg
    B5B73662-F49E-49B9-A61D-0403A1456390.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 19EADB89-25FE-48B7-AC54-6038B9E829CC.jpeg
    19EADB89-25FE-48B7-AC54-6038B9E829CC.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 18C639D2-36F6-459E-8B7B-5A8E67E7C150.jpeg
    18C639D2-36F6-459E-8B7B-5A8E67E7C150.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 26155BBA-0306-4F16-9021-BFB17F3CED08.jpeg
    26155BBA-0306-4F16-9021-BFB17F3CED08.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 41
OP
Webb11

Webb11

FNG
An 8x10 wall tent will work for two it is a quick pitch easy to do with one and if want to move around a great option. Just enough room knowing you will be toasty warm and so simple this Montana canvas has seen close to 2 decades of use along with stove and have simply resealed the canvas a few times with relite walls that dry out much quicker than canvas….also have never tarped the top as no need….we used to do some winter camps and it was the meeting room🤙The four dog stove company makes a line of heavy duty stoves….in a pinch we have stacked 3cots with stove in as well to get cozy🤣
What brand is your tent?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stove is from four dog stoves believe it is this one today it was called the two dog many years ago

Attachments

• 4E3CC726-3DBB-4B80-B3B6-398CC6FCD49D.png
    4E3CC726-3DBB-4B80-B3B6-398CC6FCD49D.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
OP
Webb11

Webb11

FNG
Montana Canvas
Thanks. I like that set up. I'll look into those. Appreciate the feedback.
Don’t be afraid of wall tents. The setup isn’t that bad - I use traditional poles with my 12x14 and I can have it up solo in under 30 minutes. Yes, it’s heavy but doable.

As far as size, I think 12x14 is perfect. More than enough room for two people, and 3-4 is doable with a stove. Yes, it’s getting tight but I don’t cook inside and honestly camp is for sleeping. I come back to camp at the end of the day, I spend the day in the field. If it’s storming, or even if you want to have a down day you can move stuff around to have more room for cards/etc.

As far as wall tent vs tipi, there’s no comparison there. Obviously, if you’re hunting off your back a wall tent isn’t an option, but if I’m truck camping I’d prefer to have the canvas 10 times out of 10.

Im not sure how campers are in the cold, but the wood stove is a godsend in the cold/wet. You can get inside and get the stove going and in no time the entire place is warm and your stuff is all dry. Even in the morning when the heat is mostly gone out of the stove a canvas tent will hold heat better. One of the first mornings I was using it I got up and thought “man it’s chilly in here”. Wood stove was dead. Nature called so I popped outside and holy shit was it cold. When I came back in I was like “man it’s warm in here”. It was probably in the high teens outside, 50s-60s inside the tent.
Thank you. I think u was nervous about the set up. You made it sound easy so i think I'll start looking for a wall tent. Thanks for the detailed comment.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For a truck camp nothing beats a canvas tent

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Remhunter

FNG
Hey guys, looking for your input. My son drew a quality youth hunt tag for mule deer this year and I usually take the fifth wheel. This year I wanted to try a different experience and set up a wall tent as a base camp for him and I. Here in NM there is a great chance of snow during his hunt. I was wondering what tent you all recommend for two people with a stove to keep warm? My son is 12 so I'm not looking for anything crazy to set up.
I have used wall tents and stoves, if you can drive or use mules to get into camp, they aren’t bad. But I made the switch to Seek Outside Cimarron Tipi Tent and their stove and let me tell you, I’ll never look back! So easy to pack in and it is set up in 5 minutes. Plenty of room for 2 guys and gear. Can’t recommend the tipi and titanium stove enough!

OP
Webb11

Webb11

FNG
I have used wall tents and stoves, if you can drive or use mules to get into camp, they aren’t bad. But I made the switch to Seek Outside Cimarron Tipi Tent and their stove and let me tell you, I’ll never look back! So easy to pack in and it is set up in 5 minutes. Plenty of room for 2 guys and gear. Can’t recommend the tipi and titanium stove enough!
How do they stand up to wind in your opinion? I looked at them and they look really easy to set up but maybe it's just the photos, but it looks like it's not sturdy. Also I was wondering if they come with a floor? I didn't see any on the site.

Remhunter

FNG
How do they stand up to wind in your opinion? I looked at them and they look really easy to set up but maybe it's just the photos, but it looks like it's not sturdy. Also I was wondering if they come with a floor? I didn't see any on the site.
They hold up awesome in the wind! Better than any other tent I’ve used! Something about the shape of them just takes it great. They do offer nests which I use in areas that I don’t want snakes to get into the tent, but floorless really isn’t bad. I was hesitant to get a floorless shelter at first but it is actually quite nice. I carry a cutout piece of Tyvek/Housewrap and use that for my floor and then have my sleeping pad over that. Works great! Not to sound like a salesman, but going tipi for backcountry base camp was the best thing I did

CCooper

WKR
I just picked up a 12'x15' from R.D. Bussard & Son in Albany, OR. after a bunch of deliberation. I consulted lot's of folks as well as an outfitter I know on what options I wanted/ needed. I've stayed in them, help set them up, tear them down, but never payed attention to the details. I think the best piece of advice I got from an outfitter buddy of mine was buy local if you can- sure nice to drop off for repairs or alterations rather than ship. Andy was great to work with ensuring I got every part and piece I wanted/ needed, stove sized correctly, etc.. ALOT of folks from my area run their tents with nothing but good to say. It will be ready July 1st.

OP
Webb11

Webb11

FNG
They hold up awesome in the wind! Better than any other tent I’ve used! Something about the shape of them just takes it great. They do offer nests which I use in areas that I don’t want snakes to get into the tent, but floorless really isn’t bad. I was hesitant to get a floorless shelter at first but it is actually quite nice. I carry a cutout piece of Tyvek/Housewrap and use that for my floor and then have my sleeping pad over that. Works great! Not to sound like a salesman, but going tipi for backcountry base camp was the best thing I did
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.