Wall Tent Shop: Wilderness Edition Review

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Question about this:

I have a standard canvas 12x14 Davis Wall tent with no floor. I just use a heavy tarp as the floor and put it on top of the 10" sod cloth that is factory sewn to the bottom of the tent wall all the way around. This seems to seal the tent to the ground pretty good.

I also have a Cabelas Alaknak 12x12 tent that has a floor.

In early season hunts when temps are warmer I use the Cabelas tent with the floor and don't keep food in the tent and I have never had any issue with mice. In later season hunts where it gets colder I take the floorless canvas wall tent. It seems like the colder temps puts mice, and other critters in hibernation and I never have had any issues with mice, spiders, scorpions, snakes, etc... Have I just been lucky? Do you have problems with mice even in cold temps?
Me thinks you are either lucky or not paying attention, especially when camping at an established site. Check outside the tents in the snow and look for their footprints (their tiny though). It is funny that mice will run on top of the snow and then dive down in it when they see you coming. But, insects for the most part are gone once the temps get below freezing and snakes are usually long gone by then. But as far as mice go, they are quiet unless you are listening for them and then you'll also notice a lot of others critters rummaging around outside your tent during the night and then sometimes inside. :eek: Alcohol usually help you sleep better and cancels the noises you might have otherwise heard during the night, but some use ear plugs, wimps! :)

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info and thanks for sharing the pics.

Now you have me curious about the propane burners. I’ve never ran them all night. We usually use them just before bed and in the morning while we’re getting ready but that’s a good point. I had assumed the ridge holes for setting up with lodge poles would vent? But hadn’t given it much more thought than that.

How long have you had your tents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got them in 2018 w/ 1 stove. Have used both in 2018, 2019 and 2020 with various configurations between the two. But this year I believe I am going out solo and will only use the 12x14 as a base camp and am bringing a Hilleberg for a possible spike camp one evening. Don't know I feel about leaving my base camp and equipment alone for over 24 hrs. It will be next to my truck, but next to the road where others can come by and decide that they like my stuff and want to take it to their place. I will probably put most of the stuff back in the trailer to keep it from walking off.

I almost forgot. I store them in their own separate trash can from Home Depot to keep mice and other critters out of them while they sit in the garage til next season.

hunterjmj

WKR
I roll out indoor outdoor carpet in my tent. It's nice to walk on and feels like it keeps things a bit neater. I almost never set my tent up without the rain tarp but in this photo it was unusually warm which is why I never set up the stove.
44AF2ADC-E515-4F8E-9C90-5C7C2C013724.jpeg

Cowbell

WKR

Now you have me curious about the propane burners. I’ve never ran them all night. We usually use them just before bed and in the morning while we’re getting ready but that’s a good point. I had assumed the ridge holes for setting up with lodge poles would vent? But hadn’t given it much more thought than that.

Yes too many men have died in their sleep at deer camp from propane heaters. I will never use them inside anymore.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I've ran them a ton, but never sleep with them and make sure I have fresh air intake, which is usually easy with a floorless wall tent. But do be careful. Heavy snow can seal off the sides, and not paying attention to your rain fly can seal off the ridgepole holes if not careful.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've ran them a ton, but never sleep with them and make sure I have fresh air intake, which is usually easy with a floorless wall tent. But do be careful. Heavy snow can seal off the sides, and not paying attention to your rain fly can seal off the ridgepole holes if not careful.
I've heard that the CO content settles near the floor as it is heavier than air, so the vent near the roof won't exchange fresh air with an over abundance of CO. But since you have been doing it ton, that may explain a thing or two. LOL!!!!!

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
One last thing about the stovepipe cap that some use on their woodburning stove, you may want to get rid of it. Had one the first year and the mesh around the sides of the was too fine and clogged the very first night after burning wood most of the day. Smoke started billowing out into the tent about 2-3 in the middle of the night. I made another one out of hardware cloth from the hardware store and worked fine and never had to clean it once. May not look as good but worked great, but you need to screw it to the stove pipe.

Here it is:
IMG_6220 2.jpeg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
One last thing about the stovepipe cap that some use on their woodburning stove, you may want to get rid of it. Had one the first year and the mesh around the sides of the was too fine and clogged the very first night after burning wood most of the day. Smoke started billowing out into the tent about 2-3 in the middle of the night. I made another one out of hardware cloth from the hardware store and worked fine and never had to clean it once. May not look as good but worked great, but you need to screw it to the stove pipe.

Here it is:
View attachment 314084

That picture makes me want to go deer hunting

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard that the CO content settles near the floor as it is heavier than air, so the vent near the roof won't exchange fresh air with an over abundance of CO. But since you have been doing it ton, that may explain a thing or two. LOL!!!!!

Well, I don’t know. I just know the heat headed out those holes does offer some air travel into the tent unless sealed off with snow.

I agree with you that we got to be careful with those things. And just because I have run them a lot , does not mean it couldn’t happen.