Wall Tent Shop: Wilderness Edition Review

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are some pics of our first set-up during turkey season.
Those propane burners in the corner were awesome. Both burners were too much, we ended up only using the single burner.IMG_7425.jpegIMG_7426.jpegIMG_7427.jpeg

Bighorse

WKR
I recommend using steel stakes like used for concrete forms. They are good when pitching on a rocky surface. It’s thirty pounds well appropriated.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recommend using steel stakes like used for concrete forms. They are good when pitching on a rocky surface. It’s thirty pounds well appropriated.

Agreed. The wall tent shop sends bent rebar stakes with the tent and separate stakes for the tarp. I’ll try to post pics of the stakes soon!!
Good point. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stock photo of stakes for the tent: Basically bent rebar.
975d819057d54b12b2f68db28d4de762.jpg

Stock photo of stake for the tarp/rain fly.
e027f3c171dbce065dfbf8fcf2127f2f.jpg

Both sets of stakes come with the tent. FYI.

It was a significant amount of work but this is how I did my stakes.
12" spikes from home depot.
With a piece of chain link welded on.
The loop make it easier to pull out and to guy out to.
Put it all in a tool bag, with a mini sledge and vice grips.
20210514_140835.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Those propane burners in the corner were awesome. Both burners were too much, we ended up only using the single burner.
I use the double burner tank top heaters on a 40lb tank and it works great for heating the tent every morning. I also use two 12x16 tarps overlapped as a floor in my 14x16. And when I need to dry clothes, I just use normal hangers hung over the ridge poles. I only use a rain fly when I expect heavy snow.......it slides off easily with the fly.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a hole in my Sitka mountain pants from brushing up against one of those propane heaters. Lesson learned

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
We hang cheap harbor freight wool blankets along the walls inside. Fold them along the long edge so they're not touching the floor and add grommets for attaching to the tent frame. It's amazing how much warmer and comfortable it makes the tent.
We have some 5x15 canvas drop cloths for same reason, really helps with warmth in the tent.

Calcoyote

FNG
Nothing more satisfying than the snap of a mousetrap in the middle of the night! We leave several traps in the tent bag.
Question about this:

I have a standard canvas 12x14 Davis Wall tent with no floor. I just use a heavy tarp as the floor and put it on top of the 10" sod cloth that is factory sewn to the bottom of the tent wall all the way around. This seems to seal the tent to the ground pretty good.

I also have a Cabelas Alaknak 12x12 tent that has a floor.

In early season hunts when temps are warmer I use the Cabelas tent with the floor and don't keep food in the tent and I have never had any issue with mice. In later season hunts where it gets colder I take the floorless canvas wall tent. It seems like the colder temps puts mice, and other critters in hibernation and I never have had any issues with mice, spiders, scorpions, snakes, etc... Have I just been lucky? Do you have problems with mice even in cold temps?

With the standard stoves most guys use do you get much smoke inside the tent or does the stove pipe take care of all of it?

Calcoyote

FNG
With the standard stoves most guys use do you get much smoke inside the tent or does the stove pipe take care of all of it?
I always get a little smoke for the first couple of minutes until the stove pipe heats up which creates a draft and then there is no more smoke.

If I damper the stove down too much (trying to make the wood burn slower) I can get some smoke in really damp or rainy weather.

A really strong gust of wind can sometimes backup smoke from the flu pipe back into the stove if the stove is not burning very hot (dampered down).

Also, I clean my spark arrestor either daily or every other day. If the spark arrestor starts to clog up you will get a tent full of smoke.

That has been my experience, your mileage may vary.

Spike elk

WKR
Question about this:

I have a standard canvas 12x14 Davis Wall tent with no floor. I just use a heavy tarp as the floor and put it on top of the 10" sod cloth that is factory sewn to the bottom of the tent wall all the way around. This seems to seal the tent to the ground pretty good.

I also have a Cabelas Alaknak 12x12 tent that has a floor.

In early season hunts when temps are warmer I use the Cabelas tent with the floor and don't keep food in the tent and I have never had any issue with mice. In later season hunts where it gets colder I take the floorless canvas wall tent. It seems like the colder temps puts mice, and other critters in hibernation and I never have had any issues with mice, spiders, scorpions, snakes, etc... Have I just been lucky? Do you have problems with mice even in cold temps?
We generally set up in September for the entire month. We are in and out quite a bit and don't always have a mouse problem but when we do it is hard to sleep. Just as you relax and start to drift off you hear them getting into something.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just as you relax and start to drift off you hear them getting into something.
For me, it's the pitter-patter across my tarp floors as they run around, but then I just wait for the "SNAP" that inevitably comes next.

I used to tie a trash bag to the front wall next to the door with the highest door strap. One night I woke to the sound of a mouse making all kinds of noise. I'd turn my flashlight on and the sound would stop. It took me a bit to realize that a mouse had climbed up the wall and gotten into the bag. I ended up smashing him and the entire trash bag with the flashlight, and have kept the trash bag in a sealed bin since.

I also used to leave my coffee spoon on my table and wasn't worried about it until mice started climbing the walls and then dropping onto the table top. Now I keep everything in a small bin on the table. Those mice will drive you crazy if you let them. Last year my buddy caught 16 mice in his bucket trap in his camp in one night.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
This stuff is incredibly cheap on Amazon. China made so it should be. They probably have a solderless solution, but I did solder. Pain in the butt.

I use those strips all over.
Do you have a link to the LED strips you use? If not, do yours have a 12v DC plug (i.e., cigarette lighter style) or do you use some sort of adapter?

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Howard:

I don't that you should be using those type of propane heaters inside the tent in that they put out carbon monoxide, which is an odorless, invisible and tasteless gas that kills people every year. I am no expert on the matter but that is what I thought about those type of heaters. They are not designed for use indoors. Maybe I am a little too paranoid but when we are using the Buddy and Big Buddy propane heaters designed for "indoor use", we either turn them off at night or have Carbon Monoxide detector near the floor where the gas gathers first I believe. Don't want to have a tent full of corpses.

I have a 12x14 and a 14x16 wall tents from The Tent Shop and love them. I put different colored duct tape on the poles to keep them separated and to help when laying out the poles for setup, especially when using both tents. Carpet or runners are nice to have next to the cot. Wood burning stove versus propane is a dry heat and better in wet/snow conditions. Sometimes may be harder to find wood or may be prohibited though, especially with the whole western US on fire now. Coat hangers and clothesline are a must.

Here they are in action. The 12x14 was cook shack and 14x16 was bunk house. The cook shack doesn't need heat with the stoves and all in there.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_116.JPG

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Howard:

I don't that you should be using those type of propane heaters inside the tent in that they put out carbon monoxide, which is an odorless, invisible and tasteless gas that kills people every year. I am no expert on the matter but that is what I thought about those type of heaters. They are not designed for use indoors. Maybe I am a little too paranoid but when we are using the Buddy and Big Buddy propane heaters designed for "indoor use", we either turn them off at night or have Carbon Monoxide detector near the floor where the gas gathers first I believe. Don't want to have a tent full of corpses.

I have a 12x14 and a 14x16 wall tents from The Tent Shop and love them. I put different colored duct tape on the poles to keep them separated and to help when laying out the poles for setup, especially when using both tents. Carpet or runners are nice to have next to the cot. Wood burning stove versus propane is a dry heat and better in wet/snow conditions. Sometimes may be harder to find wood or may be prohibited though, especially with the whole western US on fire now. Coat hangers and clothesline are a must.

Here they are in action. The 12x14 was cook shack and 14x16 was bunk house. The cook shack doesn't need heat with the stoves and all in there.
View attachment 313763

Thanks for the info and thanks for sharing the pics.

Now you have me curious about the propane burners. I’ve never ran them all night. We usually use them just before bed and in the morning while we’re getting ready but that’s a good point. I had assumed the ridge holes for setting up with lodge poles would vent? But hadn’t given it much more thought than that.

How long have you had your tents?

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the CO2 detectors are pretty common but maybe not an issue?