Wall tent wood stove

I recently had a horrible experience with Kwik Kamp and looking to get a new stove for my Davis 14x16. I’ve browsed through many threads on this forum.

I’m currently torn between the Colorado Cylinder and the Yukon stove which is offered by wall tent shop. Will the Yukon have that much greater of a burn time since it’s air tight?

Was hoping someone could comment on the build quality between both companies,

Thanks,

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
look here:

I have spent numerous weeks each fall in a wall tent for decades. Our stoves have come a long ways. Last year I went through the Wall Tent Shop in N ID and upgraded to the Yukon cylinder. Extremely happy with it. It holds fire very well. The guys were great to deal with and it shipped quickly.
I cannot speak to the Colorado stove.

sndmn11

WKR
The alpine is made in the USA, has the correct spark arrestor (you absolutely do not want a cap) and a marketing gimmick for being airtight is pointless because you need oxygen to make fire.

Get the alpine. I worked where your tent was made for a long time and went through several different domestic and foreign makers of stoves to sell, the Colorado Cylinder Stoves were the best constructed and what I use in my wall tent.

OP
Glad to hear a positive review of the Yukon. Haven’t been able to find much information about it. Wall tent shop offers free shipping on stoves so the Yukon is about $ 50.00 dollars cheaper…

Has anyone put a seal on the Colorado cylinder door ?

go_deep

WKR
Would you mind explaining why you went with the square design of the Wilderness over the cylinder Yukon design that they offer?

Thanks,

Think the dimensions are bigger, so you can put more wood in it. Honestly just remember that I wanted to buy the best stove regardless of price and all my research lead me to that stove. Use mine in a 14x16 davis like you have, can go all night if you push the embers forward before you load it up before bed so it burns from back to front.

OP
My original research lead me to the kwik Kamp stove but their burn times are highly misleading and their customer service is awful.

The outfitter we used in the Bob in Sep used old bottomless steel stoves in all the wall tents. We had to make sure that there was a good dirt "seal" around the bottom edges and that there wasn't any grass or leaves nearby the stove. Pretty rustic for sure, but they burned super hot and would put you out of there if you loaded them up too heavy. Definitely made it easy to dry out gear with a twine clothesline.

GBHunter

FNG
We currently use both the Colorado and Yukon Stoves for a couple of months each fall. These are used in different tents at same camp so we have a great comparison of conditions. Hands down the Colorado Stove has proven for us to be better performer. The intake air flow system when you really need to heat it up it is superior, door fit allows the stove to be closed down more effectively at night and the opening handle system works best. Also we would recommend with going to the biggest stove you can fit.

sndmn11

WKR
We currently use both the Colorado and Yukon Stoves for a couple of months each fall... Hands down the Colorado Stove has proven for us to be better performer... The intake air flow system when you really need to heat it up it is superior,

Precisely. If you look through pictures of the interior door side of both, you will see why. Additionally, the flat top interior reinforcement is significantly better in the Colorado Cylinder stoves (irrelevant to burning efficiency).

Look at 4 dog stoves too. Great burn times. I had a 3 dog for my 12 x 14 Davis tent and it was great. Also packed nice since it was square. I think they only make the 4 dog in steel the rest are now titanium or Aluminum can't remember which.

OP
I only see the light versions listed on his website. Is he still making the regular wood stoves?

OP
I appreciate all the feed back. I have it narrowed it down to the Colorado cylinder and cylinder stove. It appears the cylinder stove used a heavier gauge steel in certain areas. Has anyone use one of their stoves?

sndmn11

WKR
I appreciate all the feed back. I have it narrowed it down to the Colorado cylinder and cylinder stove. It appears the cylinder stove used a heavier gauge steel in certain areas. Has anyone use one of their stoves?

I have, the Colorado stove is superior. The air intake puts air at the bottom of the coals, the flat top reinforcement is grid instead of bars, the door closure is easier with gloves, the hinge is stouter...