Wall tent,

BigRiver

FNG
Okay folks how would one go about building a solid door in you wall tent, such as the one in the picture, we just got our tent and it's set up for about two weeks at a time and this would save us a bunch of messing around for late night bathroom trips and just general heat loss when entering and leaving the tent, I'm wondering if any one has done this and could share some pictures of the internal framing and what not. Thank you in advance.
3563be2f5dbe79087c6b0d98ed3b1070.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Thats more of a permanent structure.

I'm trying to think of any advantage a door offers in a wall tent....and can't think of a one.

The disadvantages;
Air leaking in
Heavier and bulky to pack around
frame needs to be modified- heavier, just more stuff and more setup time

You can solve the middle of the night bathroom breaks with a Gatorade bottle.....

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted unless leaving the tent up for a very long time or permanent that door would be more headache than it’s worth would find other options like Gatorade bottle 🥳

OP
BigRiver

BigRiver

FNG
Thanks for the reply guys, that's why I asked, we will stick with the "Pee Pot"

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Kaspie

FNG
My dad set up his wall tent when he ordered it to have a doorway that can be run as a zip door that can be rolled away vertically and then we bolt a frame onto the reinforced edges through grommets and screw the door onto that, it works really smooth once set-up but is definitely a bit of a burden to transport. Our usual areas to setup are not really far off the road so its an easy bump in on the tub trailers behind the quads to get it rigged in, when we go in far we usually leave it behind

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
The door itself wouldn't be too hard. I'd use reflextix for the panel and a thin mortised and tenoned frame, like a screen door. Use cord in an x shape as a spanish windlass to tension it properly and tune out any racking.

But a doorframe would be tougher. Would have to be packable but still offer a good seal, without being too finicky to set up. I'd be tempted to use ash, tack on a canvas border, and use 2" velcro to mate it with the tent. Would also have to tie it into the tent frame and maybe stake it down through the sill.

My brother is a carpenter and built our door. We use a big trailer to haul everything. It’s really easy to install. I’ll see if I have any pictures. You can’t really see how it’s constructed. It’s in storage now and I don’t have access to it. But from what I remember it’s some 2x4 and plywood pretty much how it would be In A house except the 2steel rods that connect it to where the grommets are In The tent roof.

Attachments

• 80DF73BC-E928-4CE5-99E1-61BDB20B11B2.jpeg
    80DF73BC-E928-4CE5-99E1-61BDB20B11B2.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 069C0055-4AE3-4A43-AA95-8B8E14C1A76F.jpeg
    069C0055-4AE3-4A43-AA95-8B8E14C1A76F.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 54

Werty

WKR
Build a telescoping door jamb and frame with canvas cover. I used to do home inspections and had to do blower door test. These picks will give you an idea.

Attachments

• bdframe.jpeg
    bdframe.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 23
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 22

netman

WKR
Michiganhunter your pictures make me realize that I don’t have to live like a savage when elk hunting. Your setup looks cozy

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Wall tents are the only way to go, when you're not worried about fast and light. I have never seen one with a man door, looks pretty neat.