Walla Walla Archery Elk Oregon

I drew the Walla Walla Archery tag this year with 16pts. I've been in the unit on archery hunts when my hunting partners drew in 2013 and 2014 but not since then. We mainly hunted off of the North Fork side. If there are any other tag holders that would like to chat or if anyone has any information they would like to offer I would love to chat. I usually backpack into the Snake River unit every year so hunting hard and spiking out is an option also. Here's my email: [email protected] . Thanks!

Salmonchaser was seeing if you would be willing to share some info. I applied with 18points this year so any info would be greatly appreciated
Good, I hope that will be enough Points. I didn’t do much winter scouting this year, but at this point I think the herd wintered well. Yes get in touch, I missed a request last year but I was already in Alaska. I’m retired from guiding so I’ll be spending some time up in the unit this year.
Other than big bulls, what do you know about the area?

Good, I hope that will be enough Points. I didn’t do much winter scouting this year, but at this point I think the herd wintered well. Yes get in touch, I missed a request last year but I was already in Alaska. I’m retired from guiding so I’ll be spending some time up in the unit this year.
Other than big bulls, what do you know about the area?
I haven't been in the unit personally. I have friends that have hunted it. My plan is to make several scouting trips and set cams and learn as much as i can. Right now trying to gather as much info as possible and looking at maps to give me a starting point. Oregon tags says i should be 100% but that doesn't show all the guys with upper points possibly switching units. Decided to do it this year because i want to take my dad and oldest boy back to Wyoming on a Mule deer/ Antelope hunt before my dad can't go anymore

Salmonchaser I drew the archery bull tag. Hoping to get over there in next couple of weeks if building our home and work allows me to escape. I can exchange numbers if your willing to share any info. Was curious also if you know John Boston

Salmonchaser I drew the archery bull tag. Hoping to get over there in next couple of weeks if building our home and work allows me to escape. I can exchange numbers if your willing to share any info. Was curious also if you know John Boston
Name doesn't ring a bell but I've always been terrible at remembering names. Faces I'm good at. I was up there last week just poking around for a couple days. No movement until after dark but I saw two definite shooters moving to their beds at first light.
I haven't looked at success from last year. It was hot during bow season, the rifle hunters had some fog but overall pretty good conditions after day two.

Name doesn't ring a bell but I've always been terrible at remembering names. Faces I'm good at. I was up there last week just poking around for a couple days. No movement until after dark but I saw two definite shooters moving to their beds at first light.
I haven't looked at success from last year. It was hot during bow season, the rifle hunters had some fog but overall pretty good conditions after day two.
He works for Pendleton Wool. Just curious. I’m hoping for good horn growth with the wet spring. Just want a good fun hunt and opportunities at good bulls.

I can't remember ever seeing this much grass, normally the hills are brown before I would head to Alaska, end of May. Still mostly green but that will change here in the next week
Focus your efforts south of the 65 road, from Yellow Jacket west to the table springs trail. Even when I was running marathons I wouldn't make it across there in a day. Very rough, lots of good bulls. Also nort west of there into the north fork canyon. Very thick but a could hot weather hunt.

Attachments

• A8BD0A37-FB99-439C-AF68-2E0727893711.jpeg
    A8BD0A37-FB99-439C-AF68-2E0727893711.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 80
  • D1CF1D94-798D-4AC3-8076-5FB11FD76537.jpeg
    D1CF1D94-798D-4AC3-8076-5FB11FD76537.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 78
  • 654D472F-5BD0-421B-8FFB-85B8E5EC46E7.jpeg
    654D472F-5BD0-421B-8FFB-85B8E5EC46E7.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 71A40D27-8C2A-48AD-8DD6-2ACE7DE61F6A.jpeg
    71A40D27-8C2A-48AD-8DD6-2ACE7DE61F6A.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 78
  • D4B2B393-E170-4C74-8CEF-DCDE9F594CB6.jpeg
    D4B2B393-E170-4C74-8CEF-DCDE9F594CB6.jpeg
    796.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I can't remember ever seeing this much grass, normally the hills are brown before I would head to Alaska, end of May. Still mostly green but that will change here in the next week
Focus your efforts south of the 65 road, from Yellow Jacket west to the table springs trail. Even when I was running marathons I wouldn't make it across there in a day. Very rough, lots of good bulls. Also nort west of there into the north fork canyon. Very thick but a could hot weather hunt.

Okay thank you I appreciate the info. Been hitting the butte here in Prineville with my atlas trainer loaded down. Gonna head over weekend of 23rd to look around and put in some miles.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I did not fill my tag but had an awesome hunt. It seemed to be an off year for whatever reason. Passed on 8-9 bulls with the biggest being around 330-320 range was hoping for a little bit bigger and I did have my chance but shot just over his back. Was on some big bulls and some other hunters were able to seal the deal using multiple callers which seemed to be key. If I had a do over I would make sure I had a caller. I believe I did a good job throwing my calls and getting bulls in my lap but nonetheless a caller would have helped on the biggest of the bulls. Got awesome video and pics of most of my encounters 6162E6BC-EA3D-42A0-9FB3-1375DE43AFFA.jpeg6E2AC855-47B2-460E-B893-4324549993FB.pngCBE3CE26-C8AE-4483-94AD-FA39C6744184.jpegCBE3CE26-C8AE-4483-94AD-FA39C6744184.jpeg

Classic Walla Walla bulls. Seeing 8 or 9 good bulls is a pretty good hunt. They are there, bumped one oh sh** bull during the spike hunt, had to be pushing 400. Hope the adventure was worth the points for you.

Classic Walla Walla bulls. Seeing 8 or 9 good bulls is a pretty good hunt. They are there, bumped one oh sh** bull during the spike hunt, had to be pushing 400. Hope the adventure was worth the points for you.
Not gonna lie it was tough with moon phase and hot weather. Had to adapt quick. They just would not talk after first light for very long and right before dark and I’m more of a sneak in close and let them talk but am pretty decent caller if need be. We moved camps which put me in the rut fest we dream about but that was right at end of season and got close on a 370-380 bull but he chose flight over fight right at last light. There was a ton of cattle and the bears are thick. Averaged 4-5 bears a day and always at the wrong time when I didn’t want to deal with taking care of a bear

Bears are doing well in there. I was going to shoot one that busted cover as my bull hit the deck but Catherine called me off. Said something like we wont be out of here until dark as it is and it’s not that big a bear.

Thanks for the update on your hunt. I have 19 points (resident). Leaning towards rifle but they've really pushed the dates back for this hunt in 2023 and weather will be a big factor.

WRO

WKR
Thanks for the update on your hunt. I have 19 points (resident). Leaning towards rifle but they've really pushed the dates back for this hunt in 2023 and weather will be a big factor.

I wouldn’t risk my points, heck this year half of the unit was inaccessible due to snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogue Bay

WKR
I’m in the exact same boat with 19 points but archery isn’t really a good option for me. Looking at the season dates, the weather risk for the next few years concerns me.