Walmart Rifles

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I have never bought a rifle at Walmart, but have heard that the manufacturers build a "cheaper" gun expressly for Walmart, so they can sell at the prices they do. I have always bought my rifles from a gun shop, never a big box store. Any truth to the Walmart guns??

Laramie

WKR
No. Walmart will often carry cheaper models more frequently but they are just the standard models.

The one time that I bought a gun from Walmart it was because a local gun shop took my money for a deposit and never placed an order with the distributor. I later learned that Walmart ordered from the same distributor as the LGS. The purchasing process was a PITA but it saved me $300.

fmyth

WKR
I just bought youth model Remington 770 with a scope in .243 caliber for $125 at my local Walmart. It will be a fine rifle for my grandsons first few hunts. If he shows a continued interest in hunting I will get him a better rifle. They had a couple Savage Axis rifles in .308, .22-.250 and .243 for $175 each.

FLAK

WKR
My 700 in .243 is from Wal Mart. No problems, same as my other 700's. In fact, its one I probably use more than the others.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I went in to Wal Mart about a month ago to see if they had any decent rifles on sale and was told that all Walmart’s in New Mexico stopped selling guns last year.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I love my Remington “walmartdeerslayer” 700 as I call it. Standard adl 700 7mm, with a snazzy fluted bolt, KUIU dipped stock and shitty cerakote job. It’s killed everything it’s been shot at, rifle cost me $375, I do wish I’d have gone stainless but it’s done alright. 😊

WRchinook

FNG
Same rifles ,they buy in bulk like everything else so get cheaper prices, can sell cheaper

I have three Remage guns that I built off of the old model 700 package guns that Walmart sold prior to Remington going belly-up.
Bought them for $300-399 each, pulled them all apart, sold the stock, scope, magazine, and barrel, sent the action to LRI for a Remage true-up, bought prefits (one Wilson from Ragged Hole, one X-Caliber, one McGowen), stocks from Stocky's and Mesa, bottom metal from Redhawk and put everything together. With glass, they all came together for less than $2000 and they all shoot like custom guns should.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I have three Remage guns that I built off of the old model 700 package guns that Walmart sold prior to Remington going belly-up.
Bought them for $300-399 each, pulled them all apart, sold the stock, scope, magazine, and barrel, sent the action to LRI for a Remage true-up, bought prefits (one Wilson from Ragged Hole, one X-Caliber, one McGowen), stocks from Stocky's and Mesa, bottom metal from Redhawk and put everything together. With glass, they all came together for less than $2000 and they all shoot like custom guns should.
Of the 3 barrels, which would you recommend?

49ereric

WKR
Never from Walmart but did buy a couple of cabela‘s F12 savage-cheaper rifles on sale. magazines are cheaply made but the heavy long barrel & trigger are nice. leupold fx3 straight 6 and more $ scope than rifle 😂
deer don’t know the difference between cheap rifles an expensive.

Beckjhong

WKR
Sooooo I bought a Savage Mark II from Walmart. Turns out the version they sell is exclusive to them and does not come with an accu trigger.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was in wal mart a few years ago in anchorage and they had a stainless Ruger Hawkeye in a green hogue stock. It was a 300 win mag. I’d never seen that before, I wish I bought it.

Of the 3 barrels, which would you recommend?

Honestly, for what I am using them for, there is not enough difference between them for me to recommend one over the other.

The Ragged Hole barrel got to me the fastest. It is a #4 contour 18” 7TCU with spiral fluting and threaded for suppressor. It shoots my favorite load of a Nosler 120 grain BT over a good charge of XBR-8208 into a half inch (5-shots) on a regular basis.

The McGowen is a 260 rem barrel (20” REM Mag contour, fluted and threaded) that I am still doing load development on. However, the largest group I have shot with it so far is 1.15”, so for the hunting application for which it was built, I am pretty confident in it already.

The X-caliber is a 22-250, 22” REM standard contour, threaded. It shoots just as well as the others (Avg group size is .68”).

All of them clean up easily and I had no problems with any of them during install.