Want to hear reviews on the MR Crew Cab from those that have actually used one

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I want to hear reviews on the MR Crew Cab from those that have actually used one. I am normally a Kifaru junky, but I was looking at getting one of these to toy around with since I have never tried an MR Pack. Yes, I know they are heavy. Buts lets here some opinions from those that actually use them.

Ron

hunting1

WKR
On my picture I am wearing a CC. I wore it for 2-days on this elk hunt and was so sore never used it again and sold it. There is a cult like following for those who like it, but most will all agree they are very well made, very heavy for a day type pack, no shoulder lift, and best for really tough guys and short torso folks. This is only my opinion, so to any lovers of MR CC do not get deffensive or emotional, just did not work for me. I even bought a second one after talking to Seacat and thinking maybe I adjusted it wrong. Good luck!

I really like my crew cab. It carries the weight very well and is perfect for those short hunts. The con is the weight but it is amazing what you can get into that pack and how compressed it will carry. After getting mine I sold off all my other packs as it is also makes a great daypack.

6t4nova

WKR
Had one and it was the most uncomfortable pack I've owned. I liked my badlands better than the CC. There was no lift and it killed my shoulders when loaded up. For light loads it may be ok, but anything over 50 lbs was horrible. Sold it for a DT1, but now have a highcamp 7000 and bikini on order.

Wow the reviews are all over the place. My take I have owned a MR Long Bow as well as the Crew Cab. The crew cab is built like a tank and sure it's a little heavy but that pack can handle anything you throw at it. For me being a short skinny guy 5-7 150. The MR fit me very well the one thing users bash MR on is it's load lifers. I can see if you're a taller guy the load lifters wouldn't function very well do to the short length of the NICE frame. But for shorter folks load lifters worked fine. Now for the good part. The first thing I do is put a 100 pounds in a pack and test it. This is the weight in my opinion that separates the men form the boys as far as packs. With a 100 plus I felt the MR performs better than any pack I have owned including three Kifaru packs two Kuiu including the 2011 and 2012 frames. Now others may not feel the same, I think it may be body types or body structure. For some reason it just fits other folks better than others.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Wow the reviews are all over the place. My take I have owned a MR Long Bow as well as the Crew Cab. The crew cab is built like a tank and sure it's a little heavy but that pack can handle anything you throw at it. For me being a short skinny guy 5-7 150. The MR fit me very well the one thing users bash MR on is it's load lifers. I can see if you're a taller guy the load lifters wouldn't function very well do to the short length of the NICE frame. But for shorter folks load lifters worked fine. Now for the good part. The first thing I do is put a 100 pounds in a pack and test it. This is the weight in my opinion that separates the men form the boys as far as packs. With a 100 plus I felt the MR performs better than any pack I have owned including three Kifaru packs two Kuiu including the 2011 and 2012 frames. Now others may not feel the same, I think it may be body types or body structure. For some reason it just fits other folks better than others.

Kind of good news as I am only 5'6". :)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used one for about a year. I didn't think it was the most uncomfortable, but it wasn't great either under loads over 65 pounds. The biggest downfall was that it packed terribly for me. It was hard to pack items vertically due to the short style of the CC. It seemed that when packing, your gear started to stack out the back side, which would end up pulling on your shoulders. There was no way for me to get the items stacked to where it kept the weight closer to my back. I also ran a 6500 bag on my NICE frame. Although better, but the pack was nearly 12 pounds before I put anything in it.

Now multiple Kifaru's in my arsenal and would never look back at a MR.

SDHNTR

WKR
I love my Crew Cab. I think it is the best Day Pack going. If being able to haul meat out on your first trip is important to you (or even get a deer out in one trip), I think it is best in class. I've also used mine for a couple multi day trips and while it worked OK, it's not ideal either, for the reasons Doug mentioned. It loads out sideways more than it does vertically, and little shoulder lift. Still workable though.

To me, the lack of shoulder lift is not that big of a deal for a primary day pack. In fact, I actually don't want much over the shoulder height with a day pack. This is because with my usual style of day hunting, I find myself often busting through thick brush and crawling under a lot. Having a pack that sticks up behind me would make for a lot more ducking or taking the pack off. And in reality, with a day pack, I'm only carrying the minimum essentials 90% of the time and not a realy heavy meat or gear load all the time. Not having much lift and instead being more maneuverable is a tradeoff I'm willing to take. I wouldn't say that with an expedition pack though.

Mine took some fitting to get right. I hated it at first because I went off of MR size recommendations. I wound up with a medium yoke at first. It cut into my shoulders in the worst way. I got Seacat on the phone and sent him some pictures. Turns out I needed a large yoke. So I'm odd in that I have a large yoke and a medium belt (that is 100% cinched up, could probably use a small) but MR swapped me out for free and made it right. Very comfortable now. For the record, I'm 5'10 and 180.

All things considered, it's not perfect, but it's the best day pack option for me that's out there right now. I just wish it were lighter.

Last edited:
I have used the Longbow, so I cannot speak of the versatility of the CC itself, but I can speak for how the NICE frame hauls weight.... My answer would be "decent." Yes, it is bombproof, yes it is heavy (which i dont mind if it is good at hauling,) yes, it has a cool name.... But that is where I quit giving that fram too many compliments. I will notget into the "load lifters" too much as they are NON existent even on my 5'6" girlfriend, she only had "level" lifters at best. They DO make a different, and to say that they dont is CRAZY.

I do not want to offend anyone.... But the point of the crew cab is to be able to go in with day stuff and come out with a whole deer or a elk quarter on the first try. To say that having load lifters is a "bad" thing because they stick up to high is only something that MR people would say. I hunt some knarly stuff on the front here and have never had a problem with my 26 inch stays... it doesnt stick up over my head, and that never gets in the way too bad. So to say that it is "the best" daypack because it has poor load lifters is silly.... especially if its claim-to-fame is the first haul out. Yes your daypack stuff is light, but when you add a quarter or more to that frame it becomes a shoulder killer. So as a day pack ONLY bag, it may be great..... but if you are looking for a daypack only pack with no ability to haul, why would you use a 9-10 pound bag? Lots of companies (including the badlands 2200) are much cheaper and do as good or better job for simply day pack type needs.

other things i did not like about the frame.... the hip pads are too thick, and it was hard to keep tight. And the hip pads tore up my hips. Granted I am 6'2'' but my girlfriend had the same issues.

I love the modularity, I love how easy it is to adjust the yolk, I love the overall comfort of the harness with light weight..... I just do NOT get the CC following, it just seems like a pack without a need. For a strictly daypack in the MR line, look at the longbow. I know that the CC has a die hard following, and these are just my opinions based on struggling for a couple years to figure out how to haul any sort of weight with my NICE frame.

I would look at the Metcalf if I was at all interested in MR products, lighter, bigger, taller frame lifters, and a tighter more compact design than the CC. I think that pack will be a true winner for the MR folks.

Joe

I'm one of those people that actually really enjoyed the Crew Cab for the little use that I had... I used my friends for a training hike with 50+ lbs and thought the pack extremely comfortable. The owner of the pack used a Blacks Creek Canadian before switching to the crew cab.

In 2010 he and his hunting partner shot a bull 9 miles back in the frank church wilderness. They boned out that bull and hauled it out in a single trip + camp. That Black's Creek bruised his shoulders and hips something fierce and it did not look like fun at all.

In 2011 he used his crew cab and hunted solo and shot his bull 5-6 miles back in about the same area. He took three trips to haul everything to the trail. Once on the trail he hauled everything out in two trips and said he'd never used a more comfortable pack. Granted he's a sawyer on a hotshot fire fighting crew so he's a beast in the hills come September.

I personally have my load lifters adjusted to where their main function isn't so much lifting weight off my shoulders but pulling that load close in to my body. I have a very short torso for someone who is 6' tall (17" torso) and prefer a bit more weight on my shoulders. Just my style. I do really enjoy my T1 now and for the 2 or 3 times I shouldered that Crew Cab they are honestly pretty even from my experience. Though I'd never buy a MR pack just because of the weight penalty.

I do know that I don't have your typical body type with a really high waist and short torso. Any pack can be uncomfortable. Packing my deer out this year with my T1 I didn't have it packed right nor adjusted properly and it was one of the most uncomfortable pack outs I've ever had from a pack standpoint. As with anything YMMV.

Mike

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for all the thoughtful reponses. This is what sets this forum apart from others. On Other forums you get the "it's junk" type of responses etc.

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
If you really like the Crew Cab, but are worried about the loaf lifters or frame comfort, would it be possible to put the CC bag on, say, a Duplex frame? I don't know if this is even possible, but something to think about.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have used the Longbow, so I cannot speak of the versatility of the CC itself, but I can speak for how the NICE frame hauls weight.... My answer would be "decent." Yes, it is bombproof, yes it is heavy (which i dont mind if it is good at hauling,) yes, it has a cool name.... But that is where I quit giving that fram too many compliments. I will notget into the "load lifters" too much as they are NON existent even on my 5'6" girlfriend, she only had "level" lifters at best. They DO make a different, and to say that they dont is CRAZY.

I do not want to offend anyone.... But the point of the crew cab is to be able to go in with day stuff and come out with a whole deer or a elk quarter on the first try. To say that having load lifters is a "bad" thing because they stick up to high is only something that MR people would say. I hunt some knarly stuff on the front here and have never had a problem with my 26 inch stays... it doesnt stick up over my head, and that never gets in the way too bad. So to say that it is "the best" daypack because it has poor load lifters is silly.... especially if its claim-to-fame is the first haul out. Yes your daypack stuff is light, but when you add a quarter or more to that frame it becomes a shoulder killer. So as a day pack ONLY bag, it may be great..... but if you are looking for a daypack only pack with no ability to haul, why would you use a 9-10 pound bag? Lots of companies (including the badlands 2200) are much cheaper and do as good or better job for simply day pack type needs.

other things i did not like about the frame.... the hip pads are too thick, and it was hard to keep tight. And the hip pads tore up my hips. Granted I am 6'2'' but my girlfriend had the same issues.

I love the modularity, I love how easy it is to adjust the yolk, I love the overall comfort of the harness with light weight..... I just do NOT get the CC following, it just seems like a pack without a need. For a strictly daypack in the MR line, look at the longbow. I know that the CC has a die hard following, and these are just my opinions based on struggling for a couple years to figure out how to haul any sort of weight with my NICE frame.

I would look at the Metcalf if I was at all interested in MR products, lighter, bigger, taller frame lifters, and a tighter more compact design than the CC. I think that pack will be a true winner for the MR folks.

Joe

I never said having load lifters is a "bad" thing. For me it depends on the application. And I'm no "MR person". I own a 26" DT frame too. Life is all about tradeoffs. And what I said is my opinion. You don't have to like it. I am willing to accept the tradeoff of less load lift with a day pack when I am busting brush. I am not willing to accept that trade off when multi day hunting, or on a clear trail, or above timberline. That is what the DT is for. Just personal preference. And I don't mind the Crew Cab when hauling a meat load a few miles back to the truck on a day hunt. I'm usually high on adreneline anyway. Yes, the DT is more comfortable, but I do not personally find the CC overly uncomfortable, even with 80lb+ loads. It's definitely a huge improvement over the Badlands 2200 and Mainbeam XL I've used previously. It's no DT for serious hauling, but for me, I find it more maneuverable and sometimes I need that.

Last edited:
I never said having load lifters is a "bad" thing. For me it depends on the application. And I'm no "MR person". I own a 26" DT frame too. Life is all about tradeoffs. And what I said is my opinion. You don't have to like it. I am willing to accept the tradeoff of less load lift with a day pack when I am busting brush. I am not willing to accept that trade off when multi day hunting, or on a clear trail, or above timberline. That is what the DT is for. Just personal preference. And I don't mind the Crew Cab when hauling a meat load a few miles back to the truck on a day hunt. I'm usually high on adreneline anyway. Yes, the DT is more comfortable, but I do not personally find the CC overly uncomfortable, even with 80lb+ loads. It's definitely a huge improvement over the Badlands 2200 and Mainbeam XL I've used previously. It's no DT for serious hauling, but for me, I find it more maneuverable and sometimes I need that.

I wasnt trying to call you out or anything.... I guess I am just saying I have never really understood the CC following, thats all. everyones needs and body types are different, i just voiced my opinion. I would personally rather have one semi light weigh system that can do it all than two different 600 dollar packs that get to share time. Thats all.

I personally see no need for the pack, not that others would not, but if you can have more comfort, more load hauling abilities, better profile, better and more varied add on pockets and do it all for much less weight.... it is a no-brainer for me.

Joe

Lawnboi

WKR
Like the OP I also have thought about picking one of these up for a dedicated day pack, for as cheap as they go used. I really liked the bat wing design of the blue widow for a day pack and I think that it is really functional, that was my reasoning for looking at the CC. But at 21" I don't get any lift out of it. 22" stays give me a little lift, but any shorter and I would get none. My spike camp with 22" stays gives me enough to keep me happy with moderate loads. For reference I am 5'7. No experience here with the crew cab but I have played around with a few 6500's and nice frames.

R

red

Wow, a lot of passion in these posts. I have to say this is the first hunting forum I have been on where guys don't like MR packs. Everywhere else guys just love them, and so do I.

I started out with a crew cab and loved it as a day pack. It is very versatile for caring different gear from hunting to mining equipment. I found it handled everything I could throw at it very well. Does it haul as well as a MR6500 or a Kifaru pack? No. But it is way more versatile and packs down smaller then the 6500 and Kifaru. If you are solely looking for a day pack the CC is the only way to go.

If you are looking for a one pack does everything, then you need to look at the 6500 or the Kifaru DT1, They are both 26" frames so the load lifters will be the same. they both pack down fairly small and both will handle more weight then any human can carry. Find someone close to you and try the frames out. Personally I find the heavier NICE frame rides better then the Kifaru. But thats just me.