Want to hunt and camp in Alaska.

Joke responses aren't going to be taken seriously by somebody asking serious questions. I think anybody who can carry a conversation understands that. I've thanked those who give helpful responses. Open to hearing anything objectively. So long as it's constructive. But I've learned some ppl love to have a Boogeyman or something to criticize, and that's ok too.

The parcel of land probably won't be big enough to hunt, so looking into public lands to hunt on. Electricity, permanent structure, and hunting/processing larger animals are part of a long term plan.

To explore the area and see where exactly I'd like to be, hunting and camping during the warmer/fall months will help me sort it out.

If any part of my plans are dumb, I need to hear it. But tell me why, and what a better choice is. Obviously lesser responses don't really do so.

Would really like to get to know like-minded people in the area to lend a hand how I can, and get info on good spots, processing, life up there, etc
You will be taken seriously when you act seriously-

please post a picture of yourself (not photoshopped like Rowdy Dowdy) and a few stories of your hunting exploits to validate your seriousness.

I do believe you are serious since Alaska is many peoples dream, and a lot of them are like minded as you. It attracts a wide assortment of folks, I see it every day living in AK 😂

Look up Timothy Treadwell and Chris McCandless, you may identify with one of them 😀.

OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
Geeez, I can't believe I've read this entire thread. All I got out of it besides some halrity at times, is that the OP is not really open to ideas and criticism nor does the OP strike me as the kind of person I'm willing to give experience based advice to. I do expect I'll read more about this in the Trooper dispatch at some point though. Good luck in your adventures!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Aw you don't really wish me luck though. Not only am I humbly asking to learn what I need to know, I'm very thankful for it. Sour and toxic comments aren't really helpful. How would you like me to respond to those? I'll follow the rules

I think asking for a discussion on all the stuff I don't know, on an outdoors/hunting forum, where ppl are actually there and actually know can talk about it. I'm a good friend to have.

I didn't mean any harm with the boomer line. It was a joke. I don't actually think that guy is a boomer.

Last edited:
OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
You will be taken seriously when you act seriously-

please post a picture of yourself (not photoshopped like Rowdy Dowdy) and a few stories of your hunting exploits to validate your seriousness.

I do believe you are serious since Alaska is many peoples dream, and a lot of them are like minded as you. It attracts a wide assortment of folks, I see it every day living in AK 😂

Look up Timothy Treadwell and Chris McCandless, you may identify with one of them 😀.
That's not very nice man. I've read the book. That kid didn't have any experience, no plan, no supplies, no research etc. I'm doing the exact opposite. Trying to learn. I'm reading the 1966 Polar Manual. Check it out.

Opsec. Not posting a picture but I'll do one better. I'll try to meet you somewhere in AK. I'll buy you lunch and you can tell me stuff I should know. I'm always down to make new friends.

Would be cool to talk about hunting. That's what this place is about, right? What do you want to know? :)

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
That's not very nice man. I've read the book. That kid didn't have any experience, no plan, no supplies, no research etc. I'm doing the exact opposite. Trying to learn. I'm reading the 1966 Polar Manual. Check it out.

Opsec. Not posting a picture but I'll do one better. I'll try to meet you somewhere in AK. I'll buy you lunch and you can tell me stuff I should know. I'm always down to make new friends.

Would be cool to talk about hunting. That's what this place is about, right? What do you want to know? :)

You should go back and read the 44 page thread on 223 of deer bear elk thread. I dont remember speer 62 grain being mentioned at all. The entire thread was focused on 77 grean sierra TMK (tipped match kings) performance on animals sub 300 lbs. Your bullet selection for your trip is not good. One bullet is not the same as another. 223 shooting a 77 grain TMK on caribou sure fine choice. Grizzly and moose it is lighter then reccomended. Your cant say well 223 is great for all when you have missed the most important point which is bullet construction. Speer and sierra SMK are NOT the same as 77 TMK.

LightFoot

WKR

OPSEC? Huh....

I will be in Deadhorse for DIY Caribou end of Aug through the beginning of Sep. I'd be happy to tell you some hunting and camping stories. If you're serious about meeting in AK.

How old are you? I'm asking because your posts seem like youthful exuberance. Look are the profiles of the members that comment and see how long they have been around.

If you are serious, you should attempt some more manageable experiences before going hard in AK. You don't run a marathon without training and without doing some shorter races first.

Take a breath. Eat your crow. Swallow your pride. (I've been there) I've been called out on this forum before.

AK is not some giant camp ground. The elements and the wildlife will kill you. A lack of fitness can kill you. Ill prepared can kill you. Overconfidence will kill you.

Still.... OPSEC.... Come on....

BTW, this is me:
7e4641bc121a9f44a7eebbe203e8595d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
You should go back and read the 44 page thread on 223 of deer bear elk thread. I dont remember speer 62 grain being mentioned at all. The entire thread was focused on 77 grean sierra TMK (tipped match kings) performance on animals sub 300 lbs. Your bullet selection for your trip is not good. One bullet is not the same as another. 223 shooting a 77 grain TMK on caribou sure fine choice. Grizzly and moose it is lighter then reccomended. Your cant say well 223 is great for all when you have missed the most important point which is bullet construction. Speer and sierra SMK are NOT the same as 77 TMK.
I'm well aware. I've read it. Somebody mentioned good things about the gold dots but no idea what page. I think it may be better than the 77 tmk in some or most uses. Can't say if it's for sure better for hunting too, but I've had instant drops with the same placement using bonded 223 than ANY other calibers. The secret is out now but you would be shocked at what it does.

I have some wild hunting stories. I once shot a yearling doe in the heart at 20 yards with 3006 power point hunting ammo. After the shot she snapped her head around and looked at me like something out of a fn Steven king movie. I shot again nearly in the same hole. She walked a ways, laid down and curled up under the tree like a dog and went to sleep, never waking up again. Because I would've ran away.

223 is better for deer.. and yes can kill ANY animal with it humanely. People forget how much large game has been taken humanely with "weak" blackpowder rifles.

An AR itself covers a LOT of bases. Saves a lot of weight and space and liability vs carrying more guns. I may wait for moose until a better time and use a 308 bolt gun. Just to suppress better. But I tell you what.. if ANY large angry animal was going to attack me, or a rabid raccoon(?), or a group of bandits with guns, or if I had to use one gun forever and carry everything I own on my back, every situation no matter what.. the one gun I want in my hands is my familiar AR with bonded soft point ammo.

It's also probably most wrong to assume trained people are using primarily m855 or m193. That was a long time ago. The modern ammo is so widespread for so long.

Just remember who told you about how good gold dots/federal fusion are. Because now I'll probably never find any again.

Last edited:
OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
OPSEC? Huh....

I will be in Deadhorse for DIY Caribou end of Aug through the beginning of Sep. I'd be happy to tell you some hunting and camping stories. If you're serious about meeting in AK.

How old are you? I'm asking because your posts seem like youthful exuberance. Look are the profiles of the members that comment and see how long they have been around.

If you are serious, you should attempt some more manageable experiences before going hard in AK. You don't run a marathon without training and without doing some shorter races first.

Take a breath. Eat your crow. Swallow your pride. (I've been there) I've been called out on this forum before.

AK is not some giant camp ground. The elements and the wildlife will kill you. A lack of fitness can kill you. Ill prepared can kill you. Overconfidence will kill you.

Still.... OPSEC.... Come on....

BTW, this is me:
7e4641bc121a9f44a7eebbe203e8595d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I will take you up on that. I have to wait until next year. Want to save more.. the border to Canada is closed still for "unessential travel" and the ferry from WA is more expensive than I thought. I also am not in a huge rush because I have a lot to learn. And apparently even if the Canada border opens, they have tons of restrictions about guns and ammo now.

I'll take the youthful exuberance as a compliment because I'm almost 34. That's actually the most positive thought I've had in a while.

I'm not rushing to go do this asap without more knowledge. That's why I'm here.

What is your extraction plan? Or when do you know when you pull out of where you are camping? I mean old school land cruisers are pretty tough, but hard to come by with parts in the lower 48, let alone Fairbanks. When the winter storms roll in, and you are on wheels, you might be there for a while. That's not always on a schedule, it might be Sept, Might be November.

I'd honestly be looking at a plane for transportation up there.

OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
What is your extraction plan? Or when do you know when you pull out of where you are camping? I mean old school land cruisers are pretty tough, but hard to come by with parts in the lower 48, let alone Fairbanks. When the winter storms roll in, and you are on wheels, you might be there for a while. That's not always on a schedule, it might be Sept, Might be November.

I'd honestly be looking at a plane for transportation up there.
You make a lot of good points. Mechanical failure can happen to anyone. The goal is to be "good" enough to last to the end of the October hunting seasons, no matter what. When it's too cold there are cheap short term rentals near Fairbanks so I planned on seeing places not far from there. Say walking distance within a couple weeks if nothing else. But I don't know if there's a better spot just around the way etc. BLM seems to own the most land and allows hunting and dispersed camping the most

OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
You talking about walking out daily or walking out for weeks around Fairbanks?
Two weeks walking. Maybe close to 100 miles I'd guess. If there's BLM or other public land within that range. If not, I'd have to tell someone and make an agreement if I want to go further and can't get vehicle started to get back etc. It has handled -50 wind chill for a week with an ok battery. I usually change those every 2 winters. But still anything can happen. I know cells don't always work so it would have to be something like a radio or pager.

Two weeks walking. Maybe close to 100 miles I'd guess. If there's BLM or other public land within that range. If not, I'd have to tell someone and make an agreement if I want to go further and can't get vehicle started to get back etc. It has handled -50 wind chill for a week with an ok battery. I usually change those every 2 winters. But still anything can happen. I know cells don't always work so it would have to be something like a radio or pager.

If you can carry two weeks worth of gear with you for -40 degree camping my hats off to you. The extra calories needed, all the gear, not to mention how fast it could turn to 3 weeks.

OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
If you can carry two weeks worth of gear with you for -40 degree camping my hats off to you. The extra calories needed, all the gear, not to mention how fast it could turn to 3 weeks.
Yeah that's worst case scenario. I would ditch anything but necessities and keep a tarp, saw, folding shovel and hatchet. And knifes, easy efficient food etc etc. Could improvise with deadwood (or whatever wood in an emergency) and evergreen/pine branches plus snow if I had to drop weight much further.

I know it can get even worse than that. But everything has a risk. And there are worse ways ppl live and die

Yeah that's worst case scenario. I would ditch anything but necessities and keep a tarp, saw, folding shovel and hatchet. And knifes, easy efficient food etc etc. Could improvise with deadwood (or whatever wood in an emergency) and evergreen/pine branches plus snow if I had to drop weight much further.

I know it can get even worse than that. But everything has a risk. And there are worse ways ppl live and die

What is really the goal of this trip/experience?

It seems not so much a hunting experience, but a trying to survive a winter on your own out there.

I'm not what you would call a survivalist. I enjoy comforts too much. I see this as trying to prove that you can do something, I hope you have a great amount of experience with winter camping. There's no tap button out there. While spending this year continuing to save money, you might work on proving your winter camping as much as possible in the mean time, not saying you haven't, but I'd continue working on it. Try living out of a tent all winter in the UP, Northern Lakes of Minn or Nodak. Might not have the hunting opportunities, but it will be proving ground that you can get out of.

Background: I was born and raised in Alaska, and have backpacked, hunted and fished from Juneau to Kodiak to Bristol Bay to the Northern Brooks.

Offering a suggestion if Fairbanks is your preferred hub. Consider renting a place in Fairbanks or somewhere close to there to call home. Then make your excursions for a week or two at a time to find your hunting spots, fishing spots, and potential areas for your land for homestead/cabin, whatever the end goal.

You could also, with this arrangement, keep a few different firearm choices and select what is most appropriate for the trip you are going on. Can one kill a moose or brown bear with a .223? absolutely. If you have ever been within slingshot range of one, you will know that even a .340 or .375 doesn't feel quite big enough at the time.

Living in Alaska year round isn't quite complete without fishing there. Look into an aluminum boat with a jet outboard. You can access a LOT of hunting areas with one of those, and it makes a great fishing platform too.

Meat care was something I'd hoped to get some advice on. My plan was to quarter a carcass, and take the straps, then process the quarters at camp. I could use some pointers on preserving the meat at this point away from predators. Not sure about carcass disposal after harvest either. Can it just become scraps for other animals at the place of expiration? Do they and all scraps have to be buried?

There is a lot of info on meat care on this forum and elsewhere, you'll want to do some reading. Keep in mind that AK has very strict meat salvage requirements. You are required to take a lot more than quarters and "straps".

Alaska is amazing but your adventure sounds amazingly miserable. I'd encourage you to spend some time there before going full send.

OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
There is a lot of info on meat care on this forum and elsewhere, you'll want to do some reading. Keep in mind that AK has very strict meat salvage requirements. You are required to take a lot more than quarters and "straps".

Alaska is amazing but your adventure sounds amazingly miserable. I'd encourage you to spend some time there before going full send.
Thanks. I might just camp there in the summer months and explore little towns, historical sites, etc when it gets into fall. May hold off on hunting anything. But I need to eventually so the information is as good now as later, and would let me know what kind of places to look for. Maybe the area for me is in a different part of the state than I imagine.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I didn't even know that Millenials knew pagers once existed. :cool: (I'm a Gen X, but my Gen Z son refers to me as a Boomer - even though he knows the difference.)

I think you need to look into a Garmin or Spot for emergency use, but if you want robust two-way communication, I think you need to look at a satellite phone. As for a radio, unless you have a HAM license, I doubt what you can get would be very useful. Surely the folks who actually live and hunt in AK would have more practical feedback. Batteries for these is a different topic, especially for multiple weeks in potentially very cold temps.